Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Board Management > The Garage
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 28th January 2006, 16:18

Mood
Dreaming

Default Poll test

You cant place a poll without first creating a new thread? Scary. Now I'm too scared to make a poll... I think on the old site there was an option for 'create thread' or 'create poll'. Here to create a poll u first have to agree to create a thread, and no turning back. What if you change your mind? I want to look at my poll/thread before agreeing to it! Or am I missing something?
I didnt mean to create this thread.... Just wanted to see how to create a poll.... :embarass: I'm sorry....

Last edited by Amber Fyre; 28th January 2006 at 16:25. Reason: I didn't mean to create a post
Old 28th January 2006, 17:35
Shallah

Default Re: Poll test

Hi amberfirez once you have created your poll you can preview it just like a normal post, if you dont like it or dont want to post it then just dont hit submit and it will not appear on the board
Old 28th January 2006, 17:45

Mood
Dreaming

Well I created a thread and then at the bottom it said "Do you want to create a poll?" and I said yes and then the only option was "submit reply" before I'd even created the poll! It had created the post and I hadn't even created the poll yet!
Old 28th January 2006, 17:49
Shallah

On the first page did you put a tick in this?

Post a Poll
Yes, post a poll with this thread
Number of poll options: (Maximum: 10)
Old 28th January 2006, 17:49

Mood
Crappy

Amber's right you have to submit the thread before you can preview the poll.
Old 28th January 2006, 17:55
Shallah

Just checking she had put the tick in, amberfirez if you press submit then it will add your poll and you can fill it in, then preview it to check it is ok, if you still want to post it then click submit, I dont think it adds it to the board unless you click submit once the poll has been filled in.
Old 28th January 2006, 17:59

Mood
Crappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaz82
Just checking she had put the tick in, amberfirez if you press submit then it will add your poll and you can fill it in, then preview it to check it is ok, if you still want to post it then click submit, I dont think it adds it to the board unless you click submit once the poll has been filled in.
I don't think thats right - I tried doing that but the thread is submitted before you can preview the poll (thats why there is a 'test' thread in the lounge - sorry should have done it in the garage).
Old 28th January 2006, 18:03

Mood
Dreaming

Yes, I ticked the box saying "poll"! Don't worry, I'm not that stupid!

It adds the thread before you can preview the poll. That's really silly. Is there anyway to change this or it it just the noticeboard's way?
Old 28th January 2006, 18:22
Shallah

I didn't mean to imply you were stupid, sorry I tried to help I will leave it, I'm sure anne will have an answer
Old 28th January 2006, 18:25

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaz82
I didn't mean to imply you were stupid, sorry I tried to help I will leave it, I'm sure anne will have an answer
:embarass: Sorry if I sounded rude! Thanks for trying to help.
Old 28th January 2006, 18:26
Shallah

No problem

You could do a test one and then I can delete it if you want me to :D
Old 28th January 2006, 18:34

Mood
Dreaming

It appears as though the site does create a thread before you can create a poll. Strange that. It's because you have to submit the reply before you can actually create the poll. Hmmm.. nevermind, I guess if you wanna create a poll you just have to be sure about what you want to do first! I think I just wont create them!
Old 28th January 2006, 18:38
Shallah

It does seem a bit silly doesn't it, may be anne can shed some more light on, There might be a way round it that anne or filo know about
Old 28th January 2006, 20:26
Founder

Not sure I'm understanding the problem exactly. You do need to know if you want to add a poll when you create the new thread, but you can always go back and edit the text you put in the text part of the poll thread after it is submitted (as usual). The old board also required that you create a new thread when making a new poll, but did the text and poll in one step, this one does it in two steps.

The thing I find annoying is that you have to decide how many answers you want in the poll first but I can't change that.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the issue though...
Anne
Old 29th January 2006, 09:48

Mood
Dreaming

it's just that when i create new threads I like to preview them first. Sometimes I decide to not add them. If you want to add a poll, you first HAVE to start a thread. If you then create a poll and then change your mind, you can not add the poll but the thread will still have been created! Obviously you cant do this all the time because you'll create pointless threads with nothing in them. therefore if you want to create a poll you have to be sure first.

Test it out in the garage. Create a new thread. Then at the bottom click "add poll". Then go submit reply so you can create the poll. Now, pretend you;ve changed your mind and exit. Now go to the garage, there is a new thread without a poll even though you didnt want that thread.
Sorry if I'm not very good at explaining myself!
Old 29th January 2006, 13:51
Founder

Yes, I understand. You can preview the post before adding the poll but not after (in other words you have to submit the thread before adding the poll).
I don't think I can change that You could however, just edit your thread afterwords to say 'oops mods please delete' unless you do this often!
Anne
Old 29th January 2006, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne123456
answers you want in the poll first but I can't change that.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the issue though...
Anne
Well you can modify the php vBulletin code it is open source.
Old 29th January 2006, 15:59
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Well you can modify the php vBulletin code it is open source.
Someone might be able to, but I can't I did a quick search in the hacks forum and couldn't find anything to address any of this. But I realised my complaint is actually silly-if you always choose a number of possible answers higher than you need, you just leave the extra ones blank and they don't show up in the poll.
Anne
Old 29th January 2006, 16:07
Founder

Amber, I don't know if this helps you or not, but if you have started a thread, you can add a poll to it after it's been posted. You go to the thread and choose 'thread tools'-'add a poll'.
Anne
Closed Thread