SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 23rd March 2020, 12:38

Default Has the coronavirus effect your work?

Just curious to know if anyone's employment has been effected by the coronavirus. Like, any of you working from home now, been let go, increased work due to being a key worker, have to make adjustments, carrying on as normal, etc...
Old 23rd March 2020, 12:52

Mood
Alienated

Default Re: Has the coronavirus effect your work?

Our place will be screwed.

Were a small manufacturing company who design..bespoke solutions for warehouses and stuff. Ain't no one gonna be buying stuff like that when theres still a fight for bog roll.

We are carrying on as normal but fully expecting to be forced shut when the lockdown inevitable happens because people cant be trusted.

I've started working from home, I've got about 3 weeks of work left...the factory has maybe 2 months of production left..the sales team have FA to do.(I'm in the middle doing the design/drawing)
Old 23rd March 2020, 12:59
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

I have the option to work from home though are little team (5 of us) have still been going into one of the office's. Were community based and have no base of our own anyway currently.

We have stopped all face to face drop in's, groups and 1:1's but still offering telephone, email and possibly online support (zoom/teams etc..) . So all of us across all the services have had to change the way we work. I'm only extremely p/t and also new to the role so there's not a lot of pressure on me tbh. I've mostly been doing planning - workshops etc.. It's also made my working hours more flexible if anything.

They have allowed all new starters to be entitled to 2 weeks paid sick leave like everyone else - you don't normally get this utill after 6 months. Which I thought was pretty decent. As far as I know everyone is still getting paid as we are still providing a service and are technically all key workers (a mental health 3rd sector service funded by the NHS).

Though God knows where this is all going to end and what funding will look like in the future. My main income is still ESA and for once I'm relieved that it is.
Old 23rd March 2020, 13:08

Mood
Alienated

I'm currently working from home, but may need to go in if there is a staff shortage. There isn't really much I can help with from home, so really I'm just on standby until I'm given something to do.

I am worried about the future of my job now, like many people are. Also if my work have to completely close, my job isn't covered by the government's 80% wage subsidy.

My aunt who has underlying health problems works in retail. They are still open! Because it's very important that people can still buy some clothes.
Old 23rd March 2020, 13:34

I've been working at home for a week. It's got advantages and disadvantages, but I feel quite lonely on my own. It looks like this could go on for a long time, and I don't know if my sanity will hold out.
Old 23rd March 2020, 14:48

Not really any change for me since I work from home anyway. Still got plenty to do if I want to. I used to spend a couple of mornings a week in a cafe or the library if I fancied it, which obviously isn't an option now. I worked from the garden this morning though, so that was nice
Old 23rd March 2020, 19:11

My office is closed so I'm working from home. I'm not allowed to attend any meetings so I'm sitting at home, staring at a screen for six + hours per day.
Old 23rd March 2020, 19:46

Mood
Lurking

I work in local justice, so we are not going to close down, whatever happens. My job means I can't work from home even if I wanted to.

Where I work there are about 5-600 people based, so social Isolation is impossible. And in the support role I do, I have to travel all over the local area, and to 5 other locations from where I'm based.

At them moment I have been sent home because my brother, who I live with had the cough, and last Wednesday he phoned the Doctor's because it wouldn't budge after a week off work, and they told him to phone 111, who told him to self isolate for another 7 days. Because we both work for the same people I was immediately sent home from work and to to isolate for 7 days as well. I am as well now as I was last week so will be pleased when I can go back to work on Wed.

It's OK self isolating, but it drives you up the wall after a few days!
Old 23rd March 2020, 20:18

Mood
Gloomy

I'm off work at the moment due to being in one of the main at risk groups for coronavirus.

I advised my employer and after consultation was advised to take a period of paid leave.
I have only been off for a couple of days and boredom is setting in already.
It's surprising how much you rely on routine in your day to day activities.
It's got to the point where doing some postponed decorating jobs is an appealing option.

I'm really not sure whether I will be off for weeks/months.
Old 23rd March 2020, 20:54

Mood
Mellow

Unfortunately my job is unaffected. I love being at home - there's nowhere I'd rather be - but no such luck for me.
Old 23rd March 2020, 21:17
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Not paid work but I'm still going to be going to animal sanctuaries as there is no paid staff. The equine/farm animal one is taking it seriously and we have new strict rules on social distancing. Sunday eve rounds i'm on my own anyway. Have also agreed to be part of an emergency pool of ppl.

The cat/small animal one well... I can't imagine anything other than S going on about gloves and hibiscrub, which is fine...but it's a very small space and we often have to squeeze past each other going back and force to different areas like the sink. I'm not going to be best pleased tbh...
Old 24th March 2020, 10:54

Probs not as much as Brexit
Old 24th March 2020, 11:25

Mood
Tired

I was looking forward to getting some time off work,
to be honest, I fully imagined getting sent straight back home this morning,
but no,.. unfortunately we are now being classed as "essential workers"..
personally, I think it's a bit of both,. possibly potential essential work might happen, but in the meantime, the company obviously want to keep making money and are basically strengthening their financial position by telling us to keep coming into work.
I haven't done ANY of the supposed essential work this morning, it's just been business as usual,
I have been busy, but not doing anything that is related to this proposed essential business we keep hearing about, so I do feel a bit cheated.
I had my eye on the sofa and a box-set or two

it does seem odd though, because every business relies heavily on other businesses, like a chain,
so if other companies who we rely on start shutting then there's potentially not a lot we can do as they are basically following government advice.

corporate greed is afoot methinks.
Old 25th March 2020, 14:54

I work for Deliveroo , my earnings were down about 50% in the weeks leading up to the lockdown. I went out yesterday and earned £5:40 in 4 1/2 hours. There were so many riders stood around waiting for orders that I can't justify being out and it seems socially irresponsible to do so. I'm still waiting for information on the support for the self employed.
I also don't really feel comfortable that even though the majority of riders and restaurants take care to minimise risk of contact contamination, the salient words there are 'majority' and 'minimise'.
Old 25th March 2020, 15:04

Mood
Tired

I'm sure it's just a matter of time before more places shut that are open just now,

I've been fielding e-mails all morning from my suppliers who are saying "we're about to shut soon, so get your orders in or risk running out"

but I'm thinking,.. what's the point in me ordering up all this stock if the company I work for is possibly going to shut eventually too?
no point in being saddled with thousands of pounds of stock that we're not going to be able to shift

# rock and hard place
Old 25th March 2020, 17:03

Yes. I had to give up my job as a pole dancer before the lockdown because I look so good in a thong that punters just couldn't keep more than two metres away from me and I still wanted them to cough up.
Old 27th March 2020, 00:57

Mood
Creative

I lost all my work and I cannot work from home. It was quite a shock. I have savings so I should be ok for a bit, and today the government announced safety measures for the self-employed, but it might take a while to be put into place.
Old 27th March 2020, 14:14

Mood
Alienated

Well we got our furloughed letter today

I had a week off next week!, I'm very confused
Old 27th March 2020, 19:42

Mood
Tired

My warehouse is still running as usual, though the technical and sales staff are working from home.
Old 27th March 2020, 21:10
Global Moderator

Mood
Scared

I'm self employed and can't afford to be off work, 90% of my work is on the family farm, mostly by myself and farms have to carry on pandemic or no pandemic.
So no it hasn't hugely affected my work yet.
Old 28th March 2020, 10:06

Managed to get online fitnote from gp prior to this chaos no interest in going back to work for at least six months. I'd rather eventually get sacked than go back to work and catch covid while I'm forced to be around humans at work.

When I rang in sick my manager had a cough I've not managed to get hold of him since wouldn't be surprised if the entire office of managers has got it.
Old 28th March 2020, 10:57

@humphrey Your job sounds quite stressful, out of interest I was wondering how you manage with a job like yours and suffering with social anxiety, or is this much better now.

I hope your brother is on the mend now.
Old 28th March 2020, 11:05

Mood
Musical

Well not at the mo but with wholesalers shutting down one by one i think we'll be closing very soon as were running out of materials to use so we can't carry on...
Old 28th March 2020, 11:26

Mood
Alienated

My boss is having a massive paddy and trying to keep things open to the point his wife has told us all just to ignore him.. but all our suppliers are shut, we seem to be revisiting the situation every 2 weeks..so begins my hermit life style (not that its much different to normal) and hello 20% pay cut!