SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 24th March 2020, 04:08

Thumbs up Isolation/Social Distancing Ideas

I'm sure most (maybe all) of us have seen or know about these already,but on the off-chance someone hasn't I thought I'd leave some ideas here. Apologies if there is already another thread about this,I'm pilled up and sleepy and too lazy to be sure there wasn't,feel free to delete or merge as appropriate

The OU has some free online courses you can do at your own pace :

https://www.open.edu/openlearn/free-...full-catalogue

Duolingo is a free online language-learning site (I think there is an app too):

www.duolingo.com

Kindle has (at least the last time I looked) a free 2-month trial of Kindle Unlimited (be aware you would need to cancel the trial before the 2 months are up or you will be charged and any books downloaded using this you would lose when the trial ends if you don't take up a paid subscription). Also,there are a whole range of books for free on standard kindle e-book store,from classics you may have on your book bucket list to random newer items. (Find them at amazon.co.uk)

If you want something to have on in the background but are sick of the TV and YouTube, Twitch is a free to view streaming service and app that covers gaming,arts & crafts,Just Chatting,baking etc etc. You don't have to have an account to view,although you will need one to follow or subscribe to a channel,but it is free to make one. Also,no pressure to ever chat/type in the chat,you can be a permanent lurker and even set yourself to invisible mode, google twitch.tv .

Steam also has free-to-play games that (might well be rubbish) but change fairly frequently,as well as frequent sales.

I'm sure there are plenty of others I have missed,like online MH support sites,other courses and offers. If I wake up properly and think of more I will add,but everyone feel free to post what you are doing to pass the time if it's something that can be shared (nothing rude this isn't the basement! )
Old 24th March 2020, 04:43

Default Re: Isolation/Social Distancing Ideas

^ Some great ideas there girlinterrupted

Thank you for sharing

I hope you are keeping safe and well xx
Old 24th March 2020, 04:49

Mood
Pensive

Thanks girlinterrupted, some good ideas.
Old 24th March 2020, 07:39
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Great ideas girlinterrupted
Old 24th March 2020, 09:53

I wish my library ebook apps actually had decent books on them, they all either seem awful or they're permanently reserved. I got an email last Friday afternoon from the library saying they had upped the borrow limit to 48 books per person and were getting rid of late fees... then another email on Saturday morning saying they were closing until further notice Oh well.
Old 24th March 2020, 09:56
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Won't be everyone's cup of tea but lots of Zoo's are live streamin.

They include: Edinburgh, Marwell, Dublin, San Diego, Houston, Living Coast Wild Planet Trust (UK), Paignton Zoo (USA), Smithsonian National Zoo (USA), Clearwater Marine Aquarium (USA), Reid Park (USA), Chattanooga Zoo (USA), Monterey Bay Aquarium (USA), Kansa City (USA).
Old 24th March 2020, 12:04

Thanks for the suggestions, girlinterrupted; there is indeed an app for Duolingo and I shall be using some of my time to improve my Polish. I haven't progressed with my travel blog (well, InternationalManOfMystery's travel blog) for a couple of weeks or more, so I should be able to do that now too.

I can't think of anything to add to your list - personally, I just seem never to have enough time to do everything, so perhaps I can find that now. I feel like my agoraphobic years have prepared me well for this!
Old 24th March 2020, 13:30

Mood
Balanced

Good advice GI.

Posted this on the video game thread there are websites that you can play SNES, PS1, etc games for free through the browser and also archive.org.
Old 24th March 2020, 13:36

Mood
Cynical

^^ You're not a loser, I'm going to repeat this every time you say it. But yes I think people might have a little more empathy for people who have been in forced isolation long before now.

I would add that podcasts are good to keep occupied or listen to while you work or do stuff around at home. A lot also put videos of the podcasts on YouTube, the obvious being Joe Rogan.

The BBC sounds app is good to catch up on stuff and they have a lot of podcasts too. I like woman's hour (yes men do contribute these days) and The Archers because who doesn't like a bit of farm based radio drama
Old 24th March 2020, 21:22

Oh yay thank you everyone for your replies! I thought the thread would probably sink like a stone,love the ideas so far

This is the (free,online) CBT site my GP told me to use while on the waiting list for more `official` help,which has now gone bye-byes at least for the duration of this virus. I thought I'd leave the link here in case anyone else is missing out on support they previously had or not getting access to new support- it covers `low mood` and anxiety,as well as random courses for dental anxiety,new parents,chronic pain sufferers,long term illnesses,older people etc. Not sure how useful it would be to anyone but hey if you're really desperate with time on your hands,it's free right?

https://llttf.com/

You're not a loser @HermanHesse,although obviously you're perfectly entitled to feel that way,I'm sorry that you do though.

EDIT: Don't forget you can pop in sauk chat (if I can work out how to get in,it's fine trust me) there's usually people about in the evenings at least,am not sure about other times. It's perfectly fine to lurk too,sometimes just some company in the background can be nice
Old 10th April 2020, 20:48

No idea what this is like,happened to see it on twitter but it might pass 5 minutes especially for anyone interested in art :

http://www.lookatpaintings.co.uk/

Andrew Lloyd Webber streaming a different musical in full each week,Jesus Christ Superstar atm :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpO4ohqx3os

Also,could be handy as self raising flour is apparently now like gold dust :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/articles/...th_plain_flour

Stay well everyone
Old 10th April 2020, 22:33

Mood
Nerdy

If any of you like acceptance and commitment therapy - my counsellor told me about an app called ACT Companion: The Happiness Trap App, and you can access it for free with the code: together

It has some mindfulness tracks and exercises, I need to give it a go myself
Old 11th April 2020, 19:14

Mood
Cynical

Jimmy Carr is doing Little Tiny Quiz of the Lockdown videos. He releases some questions at 6pm every day and then the answers at 8pm. Just something to pass the time.

https://m.youtube.com/user/jimmycarrfans
Old 11th April 2020, 21:20

@Sphinx ACT is brilliant I agree! I found it through SAUK actually,when the wonderful Benfica/Ajax_Amsterdam linked some videos of Russ Harris talking about it on YT. Way more helpful to me personally than CBT ever was,thank you for the link,hopefully it helps someone else too

@Dougella ooOOO ta (even though I suck at quizzes)