SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 6th November 2018, 21:26

Mood
Relaxed

Default Re: Experience of universal credit

Sorry to hear that. These guys seem to have a very poor understanding of mental health issues, like when I was on DLA and they used to want me to come for an assessment, but if I could go outside and meet them then I could go outside and get a job via interview, so going to the assessment was not possible and even if it had been possible it just would have proved that I could get a job. Then again on the flipside the alternative would have been just leaving me on DLA indefinitely with no assessments, which is a ridiculous idea. Really what we all need is actual support to get into work and to find work and ways into work that suits our issues.
Old 7th November 2018, 12:17

Mood
Mellow

Yeah there doesn't seem to be any middle group

If I actually was paid the living wage that would make all the different tbh. Low unpredictable hours and low rate of pay plus high travel costs does not make for sufficient living. Few years ago I'd just apply for as many full time jobs as possible and bounce back fairly quickly but I just cant do that anymore meh.
Old 7th November 2018, 13:21

Mood
Cynical

^ Really sorry to hear that.
Old 7th November 2018, 13:24

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmosby
Sorry to hear that. These guys seem to have a very poor understanding of mental health issues, like when I was on DLA and they used to want me to come for an assessment, but if I could go outside and meet them then I could go outside and get a job via interview, so going to the assessment was not possible and even if it had been possible it just would have proved that I could get a job. Then again on the flipside the alternative would have been just leaving me on DLA indefinitely with no assessments, which is a ridiculous idea. Really what we all need is actual support to get into work and to find work and ways into work that suits our issues.

You were on benefits? For people who aren't able to leave home or travel etc they're supposed to offer home visits, but I think you need doctor's evidence asking for that. Particularly now.
Old 7th November 2018, 20:42

Mood
Relaxed

^This is silly

If I posted in the what are you eating thread periodically about eating kebabs, ice cream and doughnuts and in the what are doing thread that I spend all my time in bed, then at some point down the line made a post complaining I'm gaining weight, wouldn't you point the obvious out since I'm clearly not seeing it?
Old 7th November 2018, 20:49

Mood
Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
You were on benefits? For people who aren't able to leave home or travel etc they're supposed to offer home visits, but I think you need doctor's evidence asking for that. Particularly now.
Yes I've been on benefits a few times, mostly on JSA for short periods, but also a few years on DLA. I think the first two times, I wrote letters explaining why it's silly to request I go to an assessment and giving the contact details for my doctor, so they just extended my DLA based on that, third time they just ended it and by that point I was thinking it's about time for me to sort my life out anyway, so I took it as an opportunity.
Old 7th November 2018, 21:03
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Quote:
^This is silly

If I posted in the what are you eating thread periodically about eating kebabs, ice cream and doughnuts and in the what are doing thread that I spend all my time in bed, then at some point down the line made a post complaining I'm gaining weight, wouldn't you point the obvious out since I'm clearly not seeing it?
Wow Schmosby. Just when I thought you couldn't be more offensive...
Old 7th November 2018, 21:28

Mood
Relaxed

I'm not sure why you would be offended about an example I'm giving regarding myself :/ seems silly to me.

My original point regarding you was that you are currently living very comfortably and therefore a reduction of £200-300 probably wouldn't be as bad as you think, which you confirmed in your reply. I was simply pointing out an observation, it's really nothing to get worked up about, just as I wouldn't get worked up if someone pointed out my weight issue might be due to all the kebabs I'm eating, do you expect me to keep my eyes shut while browsing the forum?

I understand the defensiveness of people here using benefits, obviously nobody wants to have a less comfortable life, but in reality we should all just get the amount we need (more for people that are not getting enough and less for people getting more than they need) resulting in less people using food banks and less people eating takeaways and doughnuts, so a win win.
Old 7th November 2018, 21:59

Mood
Shoveit

Quote:
I'm not sure why you would be offended about an example I'm giving regarding myself :/ seems silly to me.
Cause you're being a prick about it...don't you still live with your mother? How would you feel if people started scrutinising your personal lifestyle choices.
Old 7th November 2018, 22:01
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Quote:

My original point regarding you was that you are currently living very comfortably and therefore a reduction of £200-300 probably wouldn't be as bad as you think, which you confirmed in your reply. I was simply pointing out an observation, it's really nothing to get worked up about, just as I wouldn't get worked up if someone pointed out my weight issue might be due to all the kebabs I'm eating, do you expect me to keep my eyes shut while browsing the forum?
I'm not particularly offended, I'm merely stating that your being offensive. I would have to care about your opinions to be offended.

I'm sorry how do you know i'm living very comfortably? I have a battered old car that doesn't cost much to run - esp as I don't particular go anywhere except volunteering and MIND. A old cheap laptop that my dad paid for. I spend on counselling but the rest of my life is extremely modest. Oh except of course for that sneaky sausage roll...

A reduction of £200 - 300 a month is fairly significant. And as pointed out ill and disabled people should be living a reasonable existence - they haven't done anything wrong. Most have paid into a system so that they are protected when there ill.
It was not confirmed in my reply. My reply stated that I would have to give up counselling. And may end up being totally isolated with no support. It costs to go up to MIND because it's far away.

Your making massive assumptions about ppl through daft posts in the lounge.
Old 7th November 2018, 22:09

Quote:
My original point regarding you was that you are currently living very comfortably and therefore a reduction of £200-300 probably wouldn't be as bad as you think.
Not only can you not make that assumption, seeing as you don't know Mo personally, it's none of your business. Perhaps stick to managing your own money and finances and stop sticking your nose into how other people live their lives.

I think you owe Mo an apology.
Old 7th November 2018, 22:37

Mood
Relaxed

I'm not being offensive, so I'm genuinely glad you're not choosing to be offended.

You are paying for private health care, to run a car, to eat takeaways, desserts, crisps etc. which is a very comfortable life, these things are not factored into your benefits. Benefits are there to stop you from falling into poverty and it's the NHS should be providing your health care. The fact that you can afford these over all your basic costs means that you are indeed in receipt of more than you need, it's just a hard fact. You also confimed that you would still be able to live your life with the reduction, so what is with the silly reaction?

As I said the point of the post was that it may not be as bad as you think as you could absorb it by reducing your spending. I was being supportive, I should have known better of course than to use actual facts on a site full of lefties as it just fries their brains and leads to the type of responses on the previous page.
Old 7th November 2018, 22:39

Mood
Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Tink_
Not only can you not make that assumption, seeing as you don't know Mo personally, it's none of your business. Perhaps stick to managing your own money and finances and stop sticking your nose into how other people live their lives.

I think you owe Mo an apology.
Mo posted about her finances on an open forum, my response was to her post.
Old 7th November 2018, 22:54
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Actually your wrong DLA is for costs that ppl occur due to their illness or disability. As mind pointed out I'm entitled to use it for counselling because it's not available on the NHS in my area. That was the whole reason I applied for it. The same as someone who has mobility problems would be entitled to use it for say a taxi.
DLA has nothing to do with living costs.

As I said my dad left me a sum of money which is the only reason I have a car. I would not have otherwise. I think we have established I DO NOT eat takeaways. Tho I hardly think this a crime. Crisps are not a luxury you can buy them in a Tesco multi pack for 12p a packet.

I did not confirm that I would still live my life with a reduction. I said the opposite. I'll be isolated and my health will deteriorate.

supportive? God help your friends. You were not basing anything on facts but on assumptions and a backward idea of how disabled ppl should live. The idea that you think someone who is ill shouldn't eat a packet of crisps has to be the most ludicrous thing I have ever read.
Old 7th November 2018, 22:57
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Actually I posted my finances in response to your post which attacked my assumed spending:

Quote:
You don't seem short of money though. You have a car, phone, laptop, tablet, you drink wine, eat desserts, crisps, doughnuts, fast food (greggs, pizza, chippy). If you still have your basic needs met while receiving less, then you are currently being overpaid.
Old 7th November 2018, 23:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo34
Actually I posted my finances in response to your post which attacked my assumed spending:
I think you should just tell him you’re eating caviar and drinking champagne as you’re writing all this
Old 7th November 2018, 23:09
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrelight
I think you should just tell him you’re eating caviar and drinking champagne as you’re writing all this

Old 7th November 2018, 23:23

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
I'm not being offensive, so I'm genuinely glad you're not choosing to be offended.

You are paying for private health care, to run a car, to eat takeaways, desserts, crisps etc. which is a very comfortable life, these things are not factored into your benefits. Benefits are there to stop you from falling into poverty and it's the NHS should be providing your health care. The fact that you can afford these over all your basic costs means that you are indeed in receipt of more than you need, it's just a hard fact. You also confimed that you would still be able to live your life with the reduction, so what is with the silly reaction?

As I said the point of the post was that it may not be as bad as you think as you could absorb it by reducing your spending. I was being supportive, I should have known better of course than to use actual facts on a site full of lefties as it just fries their brains and leads to the type of responses on the previous page.

A.) It's absolutely none of your business what other people are spending their money on, whether they're on benefits or not. Have you been looking at my posts and thinking I shouldn't be eating chocolate?! Because if you have, and making similar judgements about other people's posts you seriously need to get a life. And I really hope that when you were on benefits you weren't eating anything other than basic meals, and you weren't using a phone or a computer or ever leaving your house.

B.) DLA/PIP isn't means tested it's paid to people whether they're in work or not and it's for any costs to do with the person's particular illness or disability. If a person chooses to use it on private therapy then that's exactly the kind of thing it's meant for.

C.) I hope you realise that for a lot of people on disability benefits eating what you would probably term basic necessities isn't possible because they need to have a special diet due to allergies or inflammatory bowel diseases, or they're recovering from an eating disorder, or they're going through cancer treatment or even *shock* because they have depression and cooking meals at times can be very difficult and it's easier to rely on convenience foods in bad times. It would be extremely expensive and time consuming for the DWP to pinpoint who fits this criteria and give them some extra money accordingly so instead all people on disability benefits get slightly more so that whatever extra costs they have for food, or utilities or travel, they can cover. It's also so that they don't have to live an even more difficult life than they already are for months or years on end while they're unable to work.
Old 7th November 2018, 23:25

Mood
Shoveit

Quote:

So crisps are the token of opulent living now?? Google Lamborghini's and prepare to have your mind blown!
Old 7th November 2018, 23:54
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miggs The Terrible
So crisps are the token of opulent living now?? Google Lamborghini's and prepare to have your mind blown!

I tried Walkers gold crisps , the ones laced with gold nuggets, and broke yet another tooth
Old 8th November 2018, 01:10

I'm kind of pleased that schmosby has got people talking on a forum that has been pretty quiet recently.

I do think some of his views can be extremely personal ( which we might not agree with) but everyone is entitled to their opinion as long as it isn't taken too far. I will need to monitor the (what I am eating) section of forum and make sure that mo isn't eating too many crisps or sausage rolls, this is only allowed if she is sharing lol.

Having to live off jsa is a joke how can you be expected to survive on £70 a week when you have water, gas, electric, phone, food and travel expenses to pay for.

Genuine claims are declined, when assistance is greatly needed because others took advantage of a system that was designed to help people in need. It's all wrong!
Old 8th November 2018, 05:59

Mood
Dramaqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemonkey
I tried Walkers gold crisps , the ones laced with gold nuggets, and broke yet another tooth
1. Should you really be having any crisps at all, given they're such a luxury in today's climate?

2. Bet it was also a gold tooth you broke, the amount of money people on benefits have flying around

I'm flabbergasted at the amount of judgemental piffle being spouted on this thread. Schmosby
Old 8th November 2018, 07:25

Quote:
Mo, and any other member of this forum, are entitled to post whatever they like, in whatever detail they see fit, providing they post within the forum rules. That does not give you licence to comment on someone else's financial situation.

I think your views and attitudes towards those claiming benefits are appalling, made even worse by the fact that you yourself have claimed benefits in the past. Just because you manage to work does not mean that everyone else is able to and it certainly doesn't make you any better than anyone else.

The fact that you are causing another member to feel they have to justify their financial situation to you and their spending, and more than once I might add, is disgusting.
Old 8th November 2018, 08:02
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Yes, so do I. Sadly I think it will.
Old 8th November 2018, 09:49

Mood
Cynical

It shows the kinds of attitudes that still exist about people on benefits, even on a forum like this from someone who suffers from mental health problems. It's terrible. Added to that the OP wasn't entitled to any benefits even though clearly there's a case that they should be!
Old 8th November 2018, 10:11

Mood
Dramaqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplesnarf
I hope it doesn't put anyone on any type of benefits off from posting about themself on here in fear of being judged for what they're spending their money on.
That's my worry too. Paranoia and anxiety over being judged for what you post is quite common due to SA. To think someone would trawl the posts you make and use it to make generalisations about you and your life is quite astounding. It feeds into all of those worries that members have about sharing personal details It's not what we're here for. It's the very opposite of what we're here for.
Old 8th November 2018, 16:33

Mood
Fine

Quote:

Hmm, seems a very judgmental and ill advised way of giving out "advice" , my friend.

Perhaps, a wee bit of empathy wouldnt go amiss, to those who're less economically advantaged than yourself?

Maybe then you wouldnt get so much (deserved) criticism of your rather ill informed posts?
Old 8th November 2018, 20:01

Mood
Cynical

^ Well not really, because this is a forum and people respond to anything that's posted. Two people having an argument would be in private messaging.
Also opinions in the 'general workforce' (a lot of whom have to rely on in work benefits anyway) are often based on myths perpetuated by the media about people on benefits rather than the reality, which is why people feel the need to explain what the actual reality is (or that's why I do anyway).
Old 8th November 2018, 20:09

Mood
Shoveit

^^^ no it's not. Making some one aware of rude/ hurtful remarks isn't bullying. It's a forum we're not in a gang or telling others what to say. Bullying does happen here tho and no one says shit because they're not as popular.
Old 8th November 2018, 20:22

Mood
Cynical

^ No, people don't have the right to question how people spend their benefit or their standard of living. And it's not provided by the working days of other people, most people on benefits have worked before they had to claim. We all pay in.
Anyone who questions tiny things like eating crisps while on benefits is seriously lacking in empathy. That was the reason for the jokes, no-one here is bathing in champagne!