SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 30th March 2020, 20:40

Default Can You Trace The Cause Of Your Social Anxiety

Where do you think your social anxiety came from, bullying sibling, childhood trauma, bullying schoolmates, perants even
I've always been interested in what the cause is, what are your theorys?
Old 30th March 2020, 22:17

Default Re: Can You Trace The Cause Of Your Social Anxiety

I know exactly where mine started - it was my first day at school, in 1966. I didn't know that I was autistic (nobody did at that time) or that I appeared "different" but the other children knew and the bullying started from the first day and continued right through primary and secondary school. Another contributing factor in my early years may have been that my mother was embarrassed by my asking "inappropriate" questions (this was in pre-school years) and told me not to be so inquisitive, with the result that I still have difficulty in asking other people questions - which is an issue, because I have learned through experience that people like being asked questions, as it shows an interest in their lives.

Spending my childhood years in virtual solitary confinement meant that I didn't develop social skills or an understanding of social conventions (coupled with the difficulty common among autistic people of not understanding non-verbal communication or being aware of its significance), which led to further social rejection as an adult; this rejection led to a cycle of withdrawal and avoidance, then attempts to build a social life which led, inevitably, to further rejection, withdrawal, avoidance... I've finally started learning how to interact with people, to read non-verbal communication and make my own body language more positive and that has made a massive difference in my ability to keep the anxiety under control, after just half a century!
Old 30th March 2020, 23:07

Mood
Mellow

It varies from individual, in my case, it's complex PTSD, pre and post-natal trauma, my adoption, my neurological disability (hemiplegia), verbal and psychological abuse at home and in school, my boarding school experiences left me feeling incredibly abandoned, suicidal in the late 1980s and 1990s. For many I believe, social anxiety is a symptom of childhood trauma, abandonment or neglect.

I never thought of myself as someone with PTSD 3 years ago as I always held the notion that PTSD is symptom of an accident or war, how wrong was I. Plus, trauma can be inherited genetically, for example our great-grandparents may have suffered a trauma such as abuse or war, genes are altered as a result and thus inherited by their own children, increasing the risk of developing mental health problems.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...is-epigenetics

Quote:
Our children and grandchildren are shaped by the genes they inherit from us, but new research is revealing that experiences of hardship or violence can leave their mark too.

https://www.verywellmind.com/ptsd-an...sorder-2797528

Quote:
Why Are PTSD and SAD Related?

A number of theories have been proposed to explain why PTSD and SAD are related. First, the symptoms of PTSD may make a person feel different, as though they can't relate or connect with others. A person with PTSD may have difficulties communicating or interacting with others for fear of coming into contact with trauma-related reminders. All of this may feed the development of SAD.

In addition, many people with PTSD feel high levels of shame, guilt, and self-blame, and these feelings may lead to SAD. Finally, there is evidence that SAD among people with PTSD stems from depression. People with PTSD often experience depression, which may lead to social withdrawal, isolation, and a lack of motivation that could contribute to the development of SAD.

Overall, research suggests that the link between PTSD and SAD is complex, stemming from multiple factors including a person's genes, history of trauma, and psychological vulnerabilities, like fear of being negatively evaluated by others. Further studies will hopefully help experts tease apart the precise relationship between PTSD and SAD.
Old 31st March 2020, 00:51

Thanks for replys everyone, my story as for a acquiring social anxiety I think was the lose of my father just before going to comprehensive school and the relentless anxiety/ panic attacks it caused me which lasted from 11 to about 14, after leaving school and going onto a YTS(youth training scheme) on which I exhibited signs of SA but wasn't aware, it was seen as shyness, i left and an innocent incident caused me to experience the childhood anxiety again, after seeing a doctor about it and receiving a course of diazipam, which didn't last long, my way of coping was I started to drink to go out

I was eventually put on sickness benefits, moved into a flat at 25, at 32 had alcohol withdrewel which I'd never heard of, from mid-late thirtys I got back in work, I work at numourous places, the present place the best, but!!
I am or became an alcoholic and I've fallen of the wagon numourous times, basically had a shit life, I'm 52 now and over the last ten years been trying to help people with SA, by setting up groups when I could, I've come back on hear to pick up more information, gain more knowledge of the condition to see if I can help people who suffer from it... What I will Write about bit later... Thanks again for your reply.... TIM
Old 31st March 2020, 00:59

Forgot to add that I have two brothers with mental health
Problem the younger one mainly can be very abusive, and had nightmare with oldest as well, im not blaming them for my SA but situation didn't help things
Old 2nd April 2020, 15:33

Yep humans
Old 2nd April 2020, 22:22

Hi Diamond D your story as similer aspects as mine i have bad anxiety after the death of my father, we moved to another area of my home town, away from my childhood friends, also I was due to move up to comprehensive, away from my junior school mates and lost my father weeks before, so was held back two weeks
Old 5th April 2020, 16:37

Sorry to hear of your loss as well, Diamond D people who don't go through the loss of a perant when young, don't realize how bad the panic anxiety/panic attacks are, and how long they can lasy
Old 5th April 2020, 16:38

Last sorry
Old 5th April 2020, 20:36

Mood
Tired

Existence