SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 21st May 2020, 19:54
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Default Re: What mental health conditions does everyone have?

I was always down as "phobic anxiety" till i saw a shrink who gave me an official DSM diagnosis of social anxiety disorder.
Old 21st May 2020, 21:09

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo34
I was always down as "phobic anxiety" till i saw a shrink who gave me an official DSM diagnosis of social anxiety disorder.
Similar to me. I was down as anxious until I saw a psychiatrist who officially diagnosed me as socially phobic. Nowadays I have general anxiety as well.
Old 21st May 2020, 21:10

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittles88
depression and borderline personality disorder, Aspergers.
Didn't realise you had aspergers Skittles. Me too.
Old 21st May 2020, 21:20

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
yeah, do any of your friends think you haven't got asperger's ?
No, In fact when I got my official diagnosis my best friend immediate reaction was "I know".
Old 21st May 2020, 21:28

Mood
Breezy

I went to a conference by Tony Attwood a couple of years ago. He said the same thing. Women hide it better than men.
Old 21st May 2020, 21:29

Mood
Gloomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
^ Did your doctor tell you that taking those vitamins would help the antidepressants work better, or was it something you found out about yourself? .
My GP said they would and gave me a prescription for them - they are folic acid (B9) and cyanocobalamin (B12) - I was already taking the max dose of mirtazapine and my depression was getting worse, so he gave me the vits and sertraline.

I dont actually get on with my GP we have never quite clicked if you know what I mean. When I was suicidal I saw a nurse practitioner who was really understanding and has been seeing me through out this, I have built up a good level of trust with him (you all know how important this is) but when I rang the surgery, the GP was the only one available and he seems to have taken over.
Old 21st May 2020, 21:29

Mood
Breezy

Have you been officially diagnosed with it or is it just a suspicion at this point?
Old 21st May 2020, 22:58

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus
My GP said they would and gave me a prescription for them - they are folic acid (B9) and cyanocobalamin (B12) - I was already taking the max dose of mirtazapine and my depression was getting worse, so he gave me the vits and sertraline.

I dont actually get on with my GP we have never quite clicked if you know what I mean. When I was suicidal I saw a nurse practitioner who was really understanding and has been seeing me through out this, I have built up a good level of trust with him (you all know how important this is) but when I rang the surgery, the GP was the only one available and he seems to have taken over.
That's really interesting, I'd not heard of vitamins being recommended alongside antidepressants before (I take an antidepressant and a multivitamin, but I didn't think about whether the vitamins would improve the effect of the antidepressant.)

You could probably try to ask to make an appointment specifically with the nurse practitioner again if you need to.
Old 22nd May 2020, 01:32

Quote:
depression and borderline personality disorder, Aspergers.
I was diagnosed with Asperger's as a teenager, I always thought it was wrong and then I got diagnosed borderline last year. The connection between them is really fascinating to me, because on the surface they seem like polar opposites.
Old 22nd May 2020, 17:29

^I have no idea! I mean I believe so but what do I know. The psychiatrist who diagnosed me BPD questioned me on the ASD diagnosis and when I said I didn't think it was accurate, she nodded her head in agreement but nothing was on my notes about that exchange. I think it's possible to have both but I don't think that's the case for me.
Old 22nd May 2020, 21:10

Mood
Breezy

^Were you properly assessed for ASD? Or was it just a suspicion?
Old 22nd May 2020, 22:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy
^Were you properly assessed for ASD? Or was it just a suspicion?
I was properly assessed. I wouldn't throw the word 'diagnosis' around if it was just suspicion. I think that early manifestations of BPD can appear like ASD in females, and vice versa.

Also, I'm a very good actress and pressure from my overbearing mother that she's finally figured out What's Wrong with Meâ„¢ probably played a part, I ain't gonna lie.
Old 24th May 2020, 00:54

Mood
Mellow

Generalised anxiety disorder, although I'm getting zero help because lockdown has stopped me getting a referral. Also I'm almost certain I have SAD but I've never had an official diagnosis even though I'm badly depressed most winters.
Old 24th May 2020, 01:35

Mood
Mellow

^ What is your experience of GAD?

I have thought that I have this. Always felt anxious when I am out - more noticeable in large crowds, and places where it isn't easy to leave.

For most of the time the anxieties only give a slight feeling of discomfort, other random times they spill over in to something stronger, or a panic attack.

I am sure this for me is front-running other conditions such as self-esteem and social anxiety, causing them or making them worse.
Old 24th May 2020, 12:06

Mood
Gloomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
^ I thought GPs could diagnose depression? Atleast I'm sure it's on my medical records, but then I also saw a psychologist somewhere along the way.....so i'm not sure.
Ive been diagnosed by my GP as you say its on my medical records - was recorded as low mood (on anti-depressants for 6 years) by my understanding GP (NOT). But now recorded as depression and anxiety by the nurse practitioner as they have to put something on the Fit notes.

SNOO - sounds similar to me, never had a diagnosis as such for social anxiety but I dont want to meet friends and family or strangers and get anxious when I do, I can go to shops but dont engage with anybody, aviod eye contact and want to be in and out asap and feel anxious while there. fear of being judged, shame, low self esteem.

I notice now I am even avoiding eye contact with my wife - who I feel safe with and not judged by.
Old 24th May 2020, 13:31

Mood
Cynical

^ Have you talked to your psychiatrist about your diagnosis?
Old 25th May 2020, 10:18

Mood
Gloomy

doug - If you mean me, yes they are aware.
Old 25th May 2020, 11:44

Mood
Cynical

^ Sorry Rufus yes I did mean you. Psychiatrists are usually involved in diagnosis so you could probably discuss with them what their opinion is on yours, if you wanted to.