Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 21st June 2005, 22:55
Only_Me

Default Re: Music Youre Listening To

Quote:
Quote: eureka_ at 21***58;43***58;22 Tue Jun 21 2005

"Done is good, but done well is so much ****ing better"
Hey! When was this released? I have all of Pavement's stuff and Makmus' solo work to date (or so I thought). Can you provide some insight into his latest release -- how does it scale up to his other solo albums?

For the record, I'm currently listening to 'If you happy with you need do nothing', by Alfie.

-- Thomas.
Old 22nd June 2005, 10:58
eureka_

Quote:
Quote: Only_Me at 21***58;55***58;41 Tue Jun 21 2005
Hey! When was this released? I have all of Pavement's stuff and Makmus' solo work to date (or so I thought). Can you provide some insight into his latest release -- how does it scale up to his other solo albums?
I think it came out in the last couple of months. Sorry I can't offer any comparison to his other albums, this is the only one of his I have (though any recommendations as to which to get next would be cool (Emote: smileyellow) ). I bought it after hearing 'No More Shoes' on the radio, which is this amazing, 8 minute long, very Sonic Youth sounding track.
Old 22nd June 2005, 11:53
Only_Me

Quote:
Quote: eureka_ at 09***58;58***58;06 Wed Jun 22 2005
I think it came out in the last couple of months. Sorry I can't offer any comparison to his other albums, this is the only one of his I have (though any recommendations as to which to get next would be cool (Emote: smileyellow) ). I bought it after hearing 'No More Shoes' on the radio, which is this amazing, 8 minute long, very Sonic Youth sounding track.
(Emote: smile) Pavement's early stuff was very Sonic Youth like. If you like that sort of style -- a full range of delights, ranging from: Sonic Youth -> The Fall -> Country, is best depicted on the "Wowee Zowee" album.

-- Thomas.
Old 22nd June 2005, 17:54
KateB

Mew - Snow Brigade
Old 22nd June 2005, 21:12
Lucylou

Hey cj0hn0!!!

i love death cab for cutie!! translantacism is an ace album! Ben gibbard is super talented and never fails to amaze me!!!

love & hugs
lucylou..x

current album im listening to is: karate - the bed is in the ocean ..x
Old 22nd June 2005, 21:25
cj0hn0

Quote:
Quote: Lucylou at 20***58;12***58;13 Wed Jun 22 2005
Hey cj0hn0!!!

i love death cab for cutie!! translantacism is an ace album! Ben gibbard is super talented and never fails to amaze me!!!
OMG!!! Finally! After telling everyone (literally) that this album is totally, totally amazing someone agrees with me!!!!!!! (Emote: pirate) (Emote: pirate) (Emote: pirate) I think 'Title and Registration' is my favourite track lucy... it's beautiful! The whole album is just kinda nostalgic, melancholic and uplifting..! Great stuff!
Old 23rd June 2005, 16:57
cj0hn0

Quote:
Quote: kevcantona at 17***58;28***58;02 Mon Jun 20 2005

I'm listening to the new Funeral For A Friend album. Disappointingly big on the pop front (Emote: sad), which I guess means everyone will start liking them now. I was hoping this album was going to be the dog's bollocks. Sniff.
Yup, I actually like it, but I didn't really know the old stuff that well to compare it with. It does have a few cringe worthy emo-esque moments, but overall I'm impressed. Good stuff...
Old 23rd June 2005, 17:57
kevcantona

Yeah, I hate to admit it but I must have listened to Streetcar on a loop over one hundred times over the last few days. It's one of those that I'd love to extoll the virtues of but it's sadly 'guilty pleasure' territory.

You PM'd me to say you bought the Crazy Frog single last week John, how's that one going down?
Old 23rd June 2005, 18:26
cj0hn0

Quote:
Quote: kevcantona at 16***58;57***58;42 Thu Jun 23 2005

You PM'd me to say you bought the Crazy Frog single last week John, how's that one going down?
erm. yeah. i have mucho love for the crazy frog. (Emote: ugone2far)

...yeah street car is a great little song! I hate that bit in the middle though "I can't feel the same about you...." I kinda shudder with the rareness of it...
Old 23rd June 2005, 19:44
pierre

I'm listening to Fire department by Be your own PET at the mo, I'm embarrassed to admit this as I can envisage myself hating them in the not too distant future but goddamn it sounds sexy. Also listening to sugar by Ladytron - v.funky
Old 24th June 2005, 11:03
Lucylou

cj0hn0

yeah man, title and registration is sooo beutifull makes the hairs stand on the back of my neck. sooo melodic. Death of an interior decorator does the same, fantastic stuff.

what other bands do u like?
heres some of my favs:
karate
pedro the lion
sunny day real estate
Dntel
Cap n jazz
figurine
braid
the promise ring
American football
iron and wine
postal service
joan of arc

plus loads loads more..i could bang on about music for hours!!
whats your favs?

lucylou..x
Old 24th June 2005, 11:56
kevcantona

Awesome, someone here who is clearly 100x more emo than I am. See, I really was a hardcore punk rock kid all along.
Old 24th June 2005, 12:22
LiveAlienBroadcast

hey i have one of those sunny day real estate albums, isnt that the band who had a couple of members who went on to join the foo fighters?
Old 24th June 2005, 12:25
kevcantona

I know Nate Mendel did, but I don't know about anyone else from SDRE.
Old 24th June 2005, 12:30
Only_Me

Yo La Tengo -- "I can hear the heart beating as one", which as an album is certainly more accessible than their latest stuff, which seems to have gone the way of electronica a little too much for my liking.

I think I'll be listening to some more Jeffrey Lewis afterwards -- go to love Antifolk in general, really...

-- Thomas.
Old 24th June 2005, 12:39
Lucylou

yeah nate mendel did and the drummer did too..um.. william goldsmith i think his name is.
Old 24th June 2005, 20:02
cj0hn0

Oh god. I could start listing bands but I’d be here all day. Erm. I suppose it might be easier if I just said I’m mostly into a mixture of alt. rock, metal, grunge, emo, 70’s rock, punk, new wave, electronica, prog rock /metal, hip-hop, and acoustic easy listening stuff. TBH I like most stuff with integrity and honestly, those would just be my favourite genres, bit predictable maybe…

Quote:
Quote: lucylou
nate mendel did and the drummer did too..um.. william goldsmith
yup. They were both in the Foo’s, but goldsmith is back in sunny day, I think they reformed a few years ago. Aye, sunny day real estate where like one of the precursors of the emo scene (imo), good band.

…yeah outta your list I’d only really be familiar with SDRE and postal service. What would be you recommendation to check out from the others in your list?
Old 24th June 2005, 20:28
pierre

Go Plastic- Squarepusher
Old 25th June 2005, 19:36
Lucylou

hmmm.. recomendations lets see

Karate: The bed is in the ocean (very chilled and lovely)
Pedro the lion: Winners never quit ( also very chilled, just one guy does everything, gorgeous!)

if u like DCFC and postal service u will probably like the promise ring because they are 'pop emo' or whatever you want to call it, good albums are :Nothing feels good, 30 degrees everywhere, very emergency (this album not as good as the other 2)

Joan of Arc are a spin off from Cap n Jazz and are a lovely mix of electronic beats n samples with mad vocals and cool guitars. A portable model of...... is a good album.

Let me know what you think of these and il post some more recommendations, i dont want to bore everyone to tears with my music dribble......xx

current album im listening to: Lali Puna - Faking the books

love
lucylou..x

Old 25th June 2005, 20:29
Lucylou

um... just a warning bout joan of arc n cap n jazz when u first hear em youll think WTF but then later you'll be the happiest chappy that you ever heard em. trust me..x
Old 25th June 2005, 20:59
o2surf

stay up forever - no sleep till hackney
Old 25th June 2005, 21:33
cj0hn0

Quote:
Quote: Lucylou at 18***58;36***58;09 Sat Jun 25 2005
i dont want to bore everyone to tears with my music dribble.
Don't worry I can talk about music all night. It's actually a shame people don't use this thread to talk about music more (imo) - rather than just saying I'm listening to x, y or z...

Yeah anyhows, I tried to get those albums you were talking about off torrentspy (just to see what they are like before I buy one), but they won’t DL (Emote: ohwell) Guess I’ll keep trying. Cheers for the recommendations though! They seem like fairly obscure bands, maybe I’m not as in touch these days…

Quote:
Quote: lucy
when u first hear em youll think WTF
Yeah? How so..? I usually like stuff that is a bit different anyhows…
Old 25th June 2005, 22:06
annie1

Depeche Mode at the moment (Emote: smile)
Old 25th June 2005, 22:39
Jihan

Radiohead - Talk Show Host
Old 25th June 2005, 22:45
annie1

Judie tzuke now....Ladies night, my sister tried to commit suicide to this song (Emote: sad)
Old 25th June 2005, 22:47
Only_Me

Quote:
Quote: cj0hn0 at 20***58;33***58;13 Sat Jun 25 2005

Don't worry I can talk about music all night. It's actually a shame people don't use this thread to talk about music more (imo) - rather than just saying I'm listening to x, y or z...
Some people (such as myself), have been. What's interesting to note about all of the people that have replied so far is the complete diversity of music tastes. I suppose that's to be expected -- gather enough people together, and one's bound to see that trend. It's still interesting, though.

I've already summarised my own music tastes more than once in this thread -- so I won't be doing that again. Suffice it to say, I go through stages of listening to music, and almost always alternate within my own scope of what I deem as "music". My own tastes are rooted firmly within psychedelia and the so-called "alternative" scene. It's what I like.

At the moment, I'm going through my "Pavement" phase; that is, listening to all of their albums. Plus, there's been some excellent re-releases of Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain and Slanted and Enchanted. Stephen Malkmus has to be one of the best lyricists ever, I think.

Pavement never were looking for commercial success, and I think they all conceeded that fact. They had their niche market and fans for sure, and there were a lot of them. When "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain" was released, they *almost* came close to commercial mainstream success with the single 'Cut Your Hair', but like times past this never happened. I can remember when the video to 'Cut Your Hair' was played endlessly on MTV2, and a few years after, the single 'Major Leagues' was as well.

Pavement lead the forefront in terms of the Alternative music scene during the nineties. They will also be remembered for their early lo-fi sound. They changed with the times, over the years as well. The album 'Wowee Zowee' perhaps best depicts that. That album has everything from grunge (flux=rad) to country music (Father to a Sister of Thought). Lyrically, Malkmus is very very clever, and this alone is evident in all of his songs.

So, given all that Malkmus has done with Pavement, is he any better now he is solo? No one can answer that -- his music is slightly more pop-like, it won't ever be mainstream in the sense that people will be fainting at the sound of it, but there are enough people out there to appreciate the music for what it is.

So yes, I like his music.

But in addition to that, I also listen to more alternative music -- a guiding light for me was the late John Peel. He had an amazing ability to pick up bands not in the mainstream, and yet push them jusat far enough into the limelight for people to take note off. One of the people he pushed was Jeffrey Lewis.

Lewis is also a great lyricist. He's a solo-artist, although his music falls under the umberella of "Antifolk" -- the movement that steems from New York. He has many close resemblences to Leonard Cohen and at times Nick Drake -- both of whom I adore. Well worth checking out if you like Cohen and/or Drake.

Talking of Nick Drake -- he suffered from bipolar disorder. Unsurprisingly this steemed from anxiety. From what I know of him both in general and via wikipedia, he only ever in his tragically short lifetime, gave a handful of gigs -- and when he did, he'd play into the wall, so very shy. When he was nineteen, he released his first album Five Leaves Left a very melancholic, yet somehow wintry album. You can tell from listening to it that he's a very lonely lad. And of all the three albums he ever did, they almost certainly depict his bipolarism -- almost personified.

The album after Five Leaves Left was called Bryter Layter -- the more jazzier of the three. This album prehaps showed Drake in a much better mood, almost happier, as it has a nice upbeatness to it. Indeed, the song Norther Sky is a most enchanting love song.

Pink Moon, Drakes third and last album, at the age of twenty three was only 26 minutes long -- but is considered by many (and myself included) as his best album. It's completely raw. Even if you knew nothing of Drake himself, anyone listening to this album would know that he was now a very troubled and depressed man. When he went into Island Records to record the album, he apparently sat in the corner, his back to everyone, and played. I said the album was raw -- I meant it. You can hear the scrapings of his fingers on the guitar.

Shortly after completing the album, he comitted suicide, although some people question the motivation for it...

-- Thomas.
Old 27th June 2005, 06:07
LazerCarp

This week I've been listening to : -

Cage- Perfect World
The High & Mighty & Lord Sear- Fake Thug Theme
Skillz- Pressure Time
Ice Cube- When Will They Shoot?
Onyx- Slam
Mos Def- Hiphop
Naughty By Nature- Everything's Gonna Be Alright