SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 31st July 2011, 00:56

Mood
Dreaming

Default fear of rides and hieght

im going to the fair tomorrow with my boyfriend and im scared about going on this ride called the sky flyer. i feel like it is too high up I want to go on it but i have always had the fear of heights. I also went on a ride high up when i was younger and it dropped down too fast. i was petrified when i reached the top and was thankful when i finally got off the ride. I have had a history of getting sick on ride during and afterwards too. Like i get dizzy vertigo and throw up or here ringing noises on my ears or feel like a faint passing out feeling last time i tried to go on a ride and concur it i felt pale sick and really dizzy after that i had to sit down drink lots of water doing sinus and deep breathing for a couple of hrs or more. I want to concur my fears but im just so scared that i wont be ready for it tomorrow and that i will chicken out a 2nd time to not go on this ride and it will make my relationship with my boyfriend go backwards instead of forwards cuz i make a challenge to face my fears each day instead of let them get to me but what should i do. also a fear of getting really bad vertigo and sickness and of heights. just thinking about it makes my palms sweat. what should i do. i really want to go on this ride but im afraid of heights and of getting sick from the ride what should i do
Old 31st July 2011, 03:07

Mood
Dreaming

Default Re: fear of rides and hieght

anyone help please
Old 31st July 2011, 05:02

Mood
Dreaming

i dont know what to do and it is tommorrow that i am going to the fair
Old 31st July 2011, 09:31

Mood
Fine

I don't think there's any shame in backing out if you know it could make you physically ill. It's not as though your fear is irrational. Just explain to your fella how these rides make you feel and I'm sure he'll understand.
Old 31st July 2011, 15:25

Mood
Dreaming

Default Re: fear of rides and height

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazuru
I'm scared of heights too so i know how you feel. What allows me to go on rides is just thinking about it logically in that thousands of people go on them daily and nothing bad happens and it's perfectly safe etc

I took my ex girlfriend to thorpe park last year and the only ride she would go on at first was the flying fish, I finally convinced her to go on Nemesis using the above logic and she just went for it and loved it!, ended up going on it 4-5 times in a row and went on all the other big rides too.

I think getting dizzy and feeling sick is most of the time due to people reacting badly to the experience and feeling they may be in danger etc. When really, being scared is the entire point of going on a ride in the first place.

Don't know how well i'm explaining this but once you've been on you actually look forward to the fear and even though your scared you know nothing bad is going to happen, that's what make's them so fun.

If you do choose to go on the ride just try to stay calm and enjoy how scared it makes you instead of being fearful of it if that makes sense?

Oblivion at alton towers is my favourite ride because of the fact i'm scared of heights, the entire time it climbs up at the start i just think wtf? this was a mistake and i want to get off but that feeling is just bloody awesome lol, I think you have to be masochistic to be a thrill seeker lol

Your totally right. I got that feeling scared when i went on the cliff hanger but after i did it i wanted to go on a 2nd time. He knows im scared of hieghts and getting sick but he says it is a great right you get to see an awesome view of the fair and that it is just a relaxing ride to be on. i do want to go on because it looks like fun but at the same time it looks so scary because it is high up. im just glad it isnt the one that is 300 ft in the air. i would be beyond petrified then. i told myself that i would challenge myself to do things that i want to do but been to scared to do. examples this ride, talent show, public speaking and i have done those and going for more things that look like fun but scare me.
Old 1st August 2011, 07:41

Mood
Dreaming

this is the sky flyer I went on it and I concurred my fears of going on this ride.
Closed Thread