SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 19th November 2012, 18:16

Default Mindfulness based cognitive therapy

I have recently been referred to an 8 week Mindfulness based therapy course by my Psychologist to complement my meds ( Lyrica, Lamotrigine). Research shows this therapy is highly effective for anxiety management and the prevention of relapse in cases of depression. I am really hoping it will be a useful tool for me to help manage my SA so I can start interacting with people again.
The initial session was highly stressful for me as it was a typical scenario where we sat in a circle and introduced ourselves and spoke to the group of 15 at intervals throughout the 2 hour session. Although my anxiety has been greatly helped with Lyrica I am still very shy in large groups ( especially strangers) and feel as if I will choke if I have to speak. However, I got through it by being very concise with words and further sessions have become easier as I have become more familiar with the other group members. Also, about 6 people seem to have dropped out so the group is smaller which is easier for me.
I would really like to hear from anyone who has completed any form of Mindfulness based therapy or meditation. I am particularly interested in how people rate the long term effects of the practice, but would also be pleased to hear from anyone currently taking a course or following a book so we could compare experiences and discuss effectiveness for social anxiety. I look forward to hearing from you.
Old 27th November 2012, 19:48

Mood
Curious

Default Re: Mindfulness based cognitive therapy

Hi Andrei,

I haven't tried Mindfulness Therapy, but it sounds very intriguing. The only thing I can say is I have taken a course in Transcendental Meditation, which certainly calms me down. Are they teaching meditation techniques on the course? I find it incredibly relaxing, and often I have a very warm, calm but elated feeling. It's difficult to describe.
Old 27th November 2012, 20:15

Hello Steerpike,
Good to hear from you. I too did the course in TM and found it very useful at the time and continue to use it occasionally though nowhere near the twice a day routine as taught.
As TM has it's roots in Hinduism, so Mindfulness has it's roots in Buddhism. However, the Mindfulness courses are generally delivered in such a way as to have no religious content so are suitable to those of varying faiths, as well as to those who have no religious beliefs. Various simple meditation techniques are introduced throughout the course and all teach awareness ( mindfulness ) of the moment through focus on breath, movement, sounds ( but not a mantra ), body sensations etc. Other parts of the therapy include the breaking of habits, and nurturing oneself.
The technique was developed some time ago by a biomedical scientist called Jon Kabat-Zinn who was researching depression and anxiety and it is backed up by lots of published research. NICE have recommended that it is made widely available on the NHS but there seem to be a shortage of therapists trained to teach it at the moment
If you go to youtube and search Jon Kabbat-Zinn, Mindfulness, Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT), you will find a lot of interesting stuff there including lectures and guided meditations.
A really good book following the 8 week course as delivered in therapy is called
Mindfulness: Finding Peace in a Frantic World by Williams & Penman
Old 27th November 2012, 21:01

Good luck with the course if you decide to take one. Please keep us informed of your experience of it. I hope it will be a tool to help you at work. The beauty of it is that once it is learned it can be practiced anywhere and there is no need to have to sit in formal meditation. Also there is a condensed form of the meditation taught called The Three Minute Breathing Space which is like a quick fix for stressful moments.
Old 28th November 2012, 08:03

Mood
Curious

I've read a fair bit about Buddhism over the last couple of years. I have to say it makes a lot of sense to me.

The Art of Happiness is an interesting read. It's a series of conversations between The Dalai Lama and Howard Cutler. It's very interesting to hear a Psychoanalyst's take on Buddhist philosophy. He makes a few comparisons between the idea of mindfulness and CBT.

I'll look into Mindfulness Therapy. I'll have a look at the YouTube stuff. It sounds like it would help.
Old 2nd December 2012, 09:24

There is a large evidence base for mindfulness
Old 4th December 2012, 07:36

Mood
Curious

Very informative. Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 11:06

Some quotes on mindfulness I randomly found and thought someone might like:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...es-mindfulness
Old 19th April 2013, 11:57
Banned

Mood
Scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb
Some quotes on mindfulness I randomly found and thought someone might like:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...es-mindfulness
Some fantastic quotes there matey.
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:38

Mood
Lucky

Has anyone done a course in MBSR AKA Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction recently?

Was listening to a podcast about it from Mark Williams and Danny Penman and it seems quite interesting.

https://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/series/new...ogy-depression
Old 31st December 2020, 17:42

Very interesting, will take a look at this in 2021