SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 17th June 2023, 22:45

Default Foxes

Do you feed the foxes? I know some people hate the idea of it and it turns you into a social leper almost! My mum and I were just discussing it and she was telling me the guy downstairs didnt see her but he was shouting out the window at her to.stop feeding mongrols.
I told her she should tell him to fox off. I personally thought that was very witty of me!
What do you think? I adore their cute little faces and the sounds they make but I love all animals really!
Old 17th June 2023, 22:58

Default Re: Foxes

Lol, fox off! Indeed. Mind your own business, matey! I love almost all animals (there are some exceptions e.g. seagulls) but foxes are doing very well by themselves (there are loads around here) so i wouldn't feed them personally. Either way, unless your neighbours have chickens or something, then i don't see much harm in it
Old 17th June 2023, 23:08

No never have, I wouldn't want to risk encouraging more of their poop or yowling than I get already.
Old 17th June 2023, 23:32

Mood
Lonely

Ive have never really crossed paths with a fox, I have had a few quick glimpses of them but that is it, they are like hedgehogs in a way, rare, to see, I think you are lucky to be able to feed them and make friends with them I have a habit of feeding any animal I come across, mainly pigeons.

That was witty of you to tell him to fox off It reminds me of a time where my neighbour was complaining to me about a wasp nest I had in my garden, I told him to stop being so waspish
Old 17th June 2023, 23:42

Ah Wez. You have stolen my heart with your sharp wasp humour.
If you.make a good cup of tea with Yorkshire tea bags then I will ask you to marry me!!!
Old 17th June 2023, 23:47

I hate to see any animal suffer, so yes I would help a fox even though it's a predator. I don't know if that's making more animals suffer in the long term, but it seems right.
I wouldn't feed one though as they are carnivores and I wouldn't have anything for it to eat.
The other day my neighbour was sitting on the wall outside having a smoke and this fox just trotted along the wall right next to him! They are beautiful animals.
Old 17th June 2023, 23:49

Mood
Lonely

^^I do I do :D
Old 17th June 2023, 23:53

Quote:
Foxes have a really diverse diet. They are expert hunters, catching rabbits, rodents, birds, frogs and earthworms as well as eating carrion. But they aren’t carnivorous - they are actually omnivores as they dine on berries and fruit too. Urban foxes will also scavenge for food in dustbins, and often catch pigeons and rats.
Woodland Trust

Diverse is the word. They're also very, very nimble - they're pretty much cat-like with jumping and other abilities. The fur gives them a bigger appearance but they're incredibly lean.
Old 18th June 2023, 02:39

Fox off, lol Yep that's a good one, Angela, and a much politer response to the guy downstairs than he deserved!

I love animals and foxes are no exception. I live in quite a built up environment but I see LOADS of foxes here. There are even foxes and rabbits living in the centre of an overgrown roundabout! The poor things lose their homes as more and more new builds spring up on every green bit of space and have nowhere to go. It's very sad.

Years ago I used to feed the foxes and one in particular became quite tame and would regularly wait by the window. I would sometimes feed them cat food and one winter when it was bitterly cold I'd warm up leftover food in the microwave before depositing out of the window. However, I started to worry that they might become too dependant on their late night snacks and I couldn't guarantee that I'd always be there. Also, I admit I was a little worried about my cats as I'd read all sorts of stories about foxes attacking pets, although they always seemed such beautiful animals to me. Anyway, I eventually stopped feeding them as it was also only a matter of time before a neighbour might object as another lady who fed them had received the odd complaint.

I honestly don't know how anyone can dislike foxes as they are such beautiful animals and I think they have a lot of feline and canine characteristics. Also, they have as much right to live in this world as us!
Old 18th June 2023, 10:34

No Nanuq. In fact we agreed while she is staying with me she is going to buy some dog food and put it out nightly for them.

Its not illegal to feed the foxes and yet there is someone who smokes weed outside my back bedroom window and i can smell it on a night and no one appears to object to that!

The man in question lives on the ground floor and his lounge overlooks the front communal gardens. He goes out with a picker to pick up random rubbish that blows into the gardens and I think he has OCD tendencies. When you talk to him under normal circumstances he is OK but I don't like him. He is one of these curtain twitcher types and even though the whole block of 9 of us know that i have cancer he has never come near me or offered any sort of help.

I always pray that I will gain an element of my health back so I can help someone vulnerable. A lot of people are incredibly selfish in society and it saddens me so much because you can get so much joy from helping people and it does not have to be grand gestures!
Old 18th June 2023, 10:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by wez
^^I do I do :D
How do I believe you though? Do you use at least 3 teabags???????
Old 18th June 2023, 11:12

Wherever my grandad went for dinner (including restaurants), he'd ask for the scraps 'for the foxes'. I think it was partly for the foxes and partly from the enjoyment he got for being a bit awkward.
Old 19th June 2023, 11:17

We fed them some dog food last night. my mum went out after dark with it. Its sad when you have to behave like a criminal though
Old 19th June 2023, 16:21

No because its my mum who takes the food out and she kind of does it quickly!! I feel so happy when I hear them scuttering around my window...knowing they dont have to hunt. It gives me a sense of incredible well being and satisfaction.
If I die and come back as a fox I want someone to feed me their dinner leftovers but Id rather come back as a dog and look forward to walks at the park. Woof!
Old 19th June 2023, 18:10

Im so jealous! I always think whippets look so regal ..like greyhounds. My aunt used to have 2 borzois and I used to steal downstairs at night and creep into their basket beside them and rub their ears till they fell asleep. I used to think if you had a good home with loving owners it would be a good life as a dog even though its shorter than ours. Dogs seem so contented with the small things in life where us humans are so complex and never really happy because we expect too much.
I always think that if we lived a simple life and didnt want too much.
I also think people who object to you feeding the wildlife are those types that look down on homeless people (for example) ...like its beneath them to help..and I will know who they are when they come back as a fox..and they be foxing off every night because I wont feed them lol