SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 30th April 2014, 23:23

Mood
Tired

Default Jury Service

Hi everyone

I've been selected for Jury service.

I applied to get out of it but they turned down my request.

I am self employed with no employees or anyone who can take over in my absence, my half brother just passed away, my mother-in-law was recently diagnosed with motor nurone disease and I am helping to care for her and 3 kids to look after on top of that.

I didn't tell them about my SA or diabetes as I thought everything else was surely enough.

I can't believe with everything I have on my plate that they are making me do this.

Anyone got any experience or advice?
Old 30th April 2014, 23:29

Default Re: Jury Service

I told them I was signed off work with an anxiety disorder and they let me off. It might be worth telling them you have social anxiety disorder and they may let you off though unfortunately they may want to see medical evidence.
Old 30th April 2014, 23:46

Hope you you manage to get out of it x
Old 1st May 2014, 01:06

I had this about five years ago. I gave them precise details of my financial situation and explained that a long trial could make me homeless and they let me off.
Old 1st May 2014, 07:47

Mood
Dreaming

Sorry you couldn't get out of it, can't believe your circumstances weren't enough for them! Sounds like you have enough to deal with as it is. As Belinda said it might be worth trying again and explaining your situation.

Will the jury service be at a local place? Sometimes you just show up and they don't choose you anyway I believe. But not sure how long you have to attend for.

Good luck
Old 1st May 2014, 10:21

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Valid Excuses to Get Out of Jury Duty: Chronic Illness

The court understands that people who are chronically ill cannot withstand the pressures of jury duty. It compromises their ability to take their medication and can cause undue stress. If you have a chronic illness -- such as diabetes or HIV -- have your doctor write an explanation of your illness and submit it to the courts by fax or through the mail. Some states will require you to appear on the date of your summons, while others will not.
Old 1st May 2014, 11:36

I told them of my problems and that I'd had years of therapy for social issues and I was let off. Maybe you could tell them about SA.
Old 1st May 2014, 11:50

Mood
Tired

Thanks everyone

I've never went to the doctor about my anxiety as I don't want to be labelled as mentally ill, so that's not really an option.

Diabetes isn't a get out in the UK, they say you just need to inform them if your need to take medication or have snacks to keep your blood sugars from falling too low.

The court is a couple of miles away. This is the second time I've been selected, but the first time I was in a job & not self employed and the courts messed up paperwork so the trial never went ahead and never even got to the jury selection stage.

My business isn't the usual self employed scenario, I work for about a year on a project and make most of my money in 1 month in the year, so they haven't accepted that I would be losing money - basically as far as they are concerned I do not work all year or I will be able to make up the time I have lost - but they will not give me any financial compensation as I cannot attribute the time at court to specific income.

I don't think appealling to them again will help.

My only other thought was making myself unselectable by expressing some extreme views but I don't know if I would get the opportunity to do that.
Old 3rd May 2014, 23:08

Mood
Crappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclue
Thanks everyone

I've never went to the doctor about my anxiety as I don't want to be labelled as mentally ill, so that's not really an option.

Diabetes isn't a get out in the UK, they say you just need to inform them if your need to take medication or have snacks to keep your blood sugars from falling too low.

The court is a couple of miles away. This is the second time I've been selected, but the first time I was in a job & not self employed and the courts messed up paperwork so the trial never went ahead and never even got to the jury selection stage.

My business isn't the usual self employed scenario, I work for about a year on a project and make most of my money in 1 month in the year, so they haven't accepted that I would be losing money - basically as far as they are concerned I do not work all year or I will be able to make up the time I have lost - but they will not give me any financial compensation as I cannot attribute the time at court to specific income.

I don't think appealling to them again will help.

My only other thought was making myself unselectable by expressing some extreme views but I don't know if I would get the opportunity to do that.
That's rough. Although I guess they purposefully make it difficult to get out of jury service, otherwise everyone would do it. I'm sure there must be some way to get out though. Have you tried asking the citizen's advice bureau? You probably won't even need to tell them you have SA, the other things are enough reason.