SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 14th May 2014, 18:01

Default 10 years

Ive been on this site 10 years now Not sure whether that's an achievement or something to feel a bit embarrassed about since it kinda means I haven't realy moved forward or progressed much as I wouldn't need this site otherwise. Anyway Im really glad I found this site as it helped me loads with making friends and boosting my confidence and I don't know where Id be if I hadn't have found it. I do miss people that used to post but don't anymore.

Just wondered if anyone else has been here that long or longer even?
Old 14th May 2014, 18:25

Mood
Dreaming

Default Re: 10 years

Oh happy 10 year SAUK anniversary!

Think it's been 11 years for me, 2003 I believe I joined the old forum. I was 18, wow. I remember being an idiot and cringe at some of the stuff I used to post on here back then. I feel like quite a different person in some ways, but the same in others. I sometimes wonder whether I'll be here forever. Not necessarily a bad thing, this place is familiar and nice to come back to even if I've been away a little while. Kind of like my internet home.

Silver, I still think of you in terms if your old username even though it's been years. You were one of the first people I met off here, at my first ever meet. I remember you made conversation with me which helped a lot as I was too shy to talk to anyone. That's probably 10 years ago, strange.
Old 14th May 2014, 18:49

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
Ive been on this site 10 years now Not sure whether that's an achievement or something to feel a bit embarrassed about since it kinda means I haven't realy moved forward or progressed much as I wouldn't need this site otherwise. Anyway Im really glad I found this site as it helped me loads with making friends and boosting my confidence and I don't know where Id be if I hadn't have found it. I do miss people that used to post but don't anymore.

Just wondered if anyone else has been here that long or longer even?
Well I joined the Original site way back in 2000. Think it had only been running a month or 2 and had less than 30 members.

Have been to many meets since then , would have been to many more but for my geographical location (Aberdeen, Scotland). Probably feel a bit too old for the "big meet" type thing nowadays , but still interested in meeting up one to one or in small groups.

Overall though Id say finding SA Uk has been a positive experience for me
Old 14th May 2014, 20:21

God, I've just checked and found that I've been on here for over 8 years. I'd say my SA is pretty much the same as it was when I joined. But I'm glad I did join, and the site has been a comfort. The basic decency and kindness of so many people on here, the good-will, and the genuine wish to help has been deeply moving. I had the same experience on 'Paxil Progress', a site I used when I was trying to quit Seroxat. There are plenty of good people out there.

I also find this site helpful in other ways. Thanks to SA, I have few people I can turn to for advice about stupid little things- like travel insurance, or health worries...or whatever. It's also a good place to offload about any of life's numerous miseries! And, of course, only people on here really understand me. No one who hasn't dealt with this crippling, horrendous mental illness (which is how I've come to see it) can understand what it's like.
Old 14th May 2014, 21:01
Banned at own request

sauk has put up with me for about ten years. think quite a few would probably be happy if i buggered off.

tough.
Old 14th May 2014, 23:04

I joined here exactly one year ago last week. Well, I did have an account a few years before that, but never used it, and only made one introductory post. I've just searched it up and I put an 'x' like a kiss at the end of it too. What a knob.
Old 15th May 2014, 01:47

Nearly 3 years for me incredibly, didn't post that much til about a year ago though, I'll be here for many I'm sure, but hey, I can't complain, everyone's great here so I wouldn't want to leave anyway
Old 15th May 2014, 08:55

Not even 2 years yet (2nd account). When I joined I was a toddler socially, now I feel like I've just started school. Progression!
Old 15th May 2014, 09:10

11 years for me. I'm so bloody pleased I found the site tbh, as it really helped me through my darkest points and I'm not altogether sure I would have survived otherwise.
Old 15th May 2014, 09:27

Almost ten years here as well. Never intended to stay long but the place sucked me in. Which is fortunate because it's one of the most supportive, friendly communities on the net.
Old 15th May 2014, 13:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFG
sauk has put up with me for about ten years. think quite a few would probably be happy if i buggered off.

tough.
Not me. You're one of the few people I can relate to interest-wise.

I've been here since 2004 (old board). I'm doing a life sentence
Old 15th May 2014, 14:04

I must've been here since about 2001, when I was 16 and embarrassing. Almost half my life on SAUK. I'm eligible for parole in 2034.
Old 15th May 2014, 20:19
Banned at own request

Mood
Doh

I've been here a long time too. It is actually longer than it says on my information but I asked to be taken off and had all my posts deleted, and then came back a while later.
Old 15th May 2014, 20:28
Global Moderator

Not even a year for me. In fact, I don't think I even had SA untill I joined this board
Old 15th May 2014, 23:44

Mood
Balanced

I found this site in the late 90s when I dropped out of University due to SA and started trying to find out what the **** was wrong with me. Possibly the earlys 00s, I can't quite remember. Like most people, it seems, I go through phases of reading and posting a lot and then drifting away for a while.

Main good thing for me about sauk is that it can be comforting to read about other people with similar problems to myself.

Main bad thing for me about sauk is that it can be distressing to read about other people with SA who are still vastly more functional than myself and capable of doing things that I could not dream of, so then I feel like I have this severe SA so I may as well not even try to improve cos its all ****ing hopeless.

I have realised that as a resource for progressing with SA, its pretty much down to the individual how useful they make sauk. If they use the forum as a place to find out about meets, to find out about tactics and techniques for dealing with SA, for making online friends which then become friends IRL, then it will no doubt help with SA. But it requires action, action, action. Doing what I do, which is visiting the forum and reading threads and making a few posts, is unlikely to make much difference at all to problems (although it might be a good first step for those with more severe SA).

I started this year with the best of intentions, aiming to use the forum to take real-world steps in dealing with SA. But I have drifted into just posting in the lounge threads (Tv, films etc) rather than using time on here constructively.

FUUUUUCK

Anyway I haven't progressed much at all since finding this forum so you're not the only one Silver.

Real world action > sauk discussion board
Old 15th May 2014, 23:45

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic
Yer 'avin a laff mate. The forum software was shite and on all the forums I've been to over the years I don't recall a single one that used Bboy.
I think Mark09 meant he had a crush on a person on the old forum, not a crush on the forum software (that would be pretty weird). Perhaps you understood that and are making a joke in which case sorry. Or maybe Mark09 really did have a crush on the actual old forum, in which case, what a freaky perve.
Old 16th May 2014, 19:12

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic
Duh, I'm such a ph00kin daftie fs!

Did this site even exist in the 90's? IIRC, I'm sure I once heard it was formed in 2k though I had never heard of it (nor heard of SA/social phobia) until I stumbled across it in late 2k2. It would be a few months later, however, before I took the step of subscribing.
Formed in early 2000 to the best of my knowledge Cynic.
Old 16th May 2014, 19:14

Been here on and off since 23rd November 2008.
Old 16th May 2014, 22:51

Salut.