SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 6th February 2010, 14:08

Default Tips or advice for anxiety regarding Induction on Monday as volunteer with Charity

Old 6th February 2010, 18:12

Default Re: Tips or advice for anxiety regarding Induction on Monday as volunteer with Charit

Hey Delilah,

first of all congratulations for taking the steps you did! Well done, I hope it'll turn out good for you.

Unfortunately I can't give you really good advise on what to do during the lunch break. Apart from telling you to try not to think so much about it in advance, it might not be so horrible after all. And half an hour can pass quickly, too. Maybe, in case it doesn't go too well and you don't know what to do with yourself when chit chatting isn't working at all, take a book or a magazine with you to give you something to busy yourself with? Better than hiding on the loo anyway I'd say.

Wishing you all the best and hope it goes well!
Old 7th February 2010, 20:33

Smile Re: Tips or advice for anxiety regarding Induction on Monday as volunteer with Charit

Hi Delilah,

It is a big step to take to get back into work so try not to put too much pressure on yourself.
I work for a mental health charity and know that volunteers are as valuable to our organisation as the experience of volunteering is for that person.
It would be interesting to know if it's a mental health charity that your induction is with? If so the programme of induction seems quite daunting especially for people who suffer with SA.
I think the other posts offer good advice about practising things to say and trying to remember that the other voulnteers are likely to be in the same boat. If your feeling really anxious tomorrow then maybe you should have a chat with the person doing the induction before it starts, and tell them you would feel more comfortable making your own arrangements for lunch. There's no shame in that, attending the induction in the first place is a huge achievement.
If the employees of this charity have anything about them then they should be doing their upmost to make you feel as comfortable as possible.
Just remember that charities often gain funding for offering volunteering opportunities but they can only do that if there are people willing to volunteer so they need you just as much as you need this opportunity.
Good luck I hope everything goes well. In a few weeks I'm sure you'll be glad you went, but taking that first step is awful I should know.
Lennyx
Old 8th February 2010, 16:46

Default Re: Tips or advice for anxiety regarding Induction on Monday as volunteer with Charit

Old 8th February 2010, 16:54

Aww, that's good to hear Del! Glad it went okay and wasn't as awful as the panicky voice in your head tried to tell you after all .

Closed Thread