SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 8th April 2007, 14:38
Bluboy

Default Erection problems

Please forgive mr if I am in the wrong room, ie basement, but I have a huge problem. I have been taking 50mg of sertraline (zoloft) for exactly one month and although I have read the instructions inside the box and also researched on the net for side effects such as (erectile dissfunction) I am at my witts end. I am also taking valium, 5mg, 3 times a day plus zopilone @ 15mg at night. The problem I have is that I have NO sex drivr at all. I am in a loving M to M (gay) relationship of four years and thought that after the initial break in period of 3/4 weeks, everything would be back to normal. Please can anyone help me as it is causing me much distress.:confusedp :confusedp.
Please feel free to PM me.
Old 8th April 2007, 14:57

Default Re: Erection problems

medication does have can effect on your sex drive because of the hormones, the only thing i can think of is you going to the doctor and asking them, maybe change the tablets your on to a similar one that wont alter your hormones as much. i lost an interest in sex i think its from the pill but i guess im a bit of hypercrit because i think id be to embaressed to tell my doctor as she'd want to know why i want to change my pill after this long and i ovbiously dont want to stop taking it. maybe your more brave than me, if it is bothering you that much its worth going to ask.

edit: i read your post again and i actually read about something similar to this when i wanted to find out about the pill an how it effects your sex drive. i think it was some american article about a study they did on women who have claimed to loose their sex drive. it said that after stopping to take the pill even after a few years a few of them still didnt have a sex drive. but that is the pill, might be completely with what your taking and the fact your a man, different hormones and all that lol. i think you should ask your doctor about it but try not to worry so much because stress could make it worse.
Old 8th April 2007, 15:08

I've heard that Ginkgo Biloba can help with sexual dysfunction caused by SSRIs such as sertraline.
Old 8th April 2007, 15:10

Mood
Angelic

Since I've been on anti-depressants it's been like putting a marshmellow in a moneybox.
Old 8th April 2007, 15:19
Bluboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuGaR!*
medication does have can effect on your sex drive because of the hormones, the only thing i can think of is you going to the doctor and asking them, maybe change the tablets your on to a similar one that wont alter your hormones as much. i lost an interest in sex i think its from the pill but i guess im a bit of hypercrit because i think id be to embaressed to tell my doctor as she'd want to know why i want to change my pill after this long and i ovbiously dont want to stop taking it. maybe your more brave than me, if it is bothering you that much its worth going to ask.

edit: i read your post again and i actually read about something similar to this when i wanted to find out about the pill an how it effects your sex drive. i think it was some american article about a study they did on women who have claimed to loose their sex drive. it said that after stopping to take the pill even after a few years a few of them still didnt have a sex drive. but that is the pill, might be completely with what your taking and the fact your a man, different hormones and all that lol. i think you should ask your doctor about it but try not to worry so much because stress could make it worse.
Old 8th April 2007, 15:20

lol it took a few seconds to get that. i had marshmallow yesterday well two i bought one for boy friend lol but he didnt answer the door so ate it.
Old 8th April 2007, 15:25
Bluboy

Sugar.
Thanks very much for your reply.
It was much appreciated.
Hope you have many flowers and positive thoughts to help you through the dark times to take you through to the bright times.

Lots of love
Bluboy
xxxxx
Old 8th April 2007, 15:35

awwww thank you
Old 9th April 2007, 09:54

Hiya, yes its one of the side effects, its not permanent, but it often does last whilst on the medication of SSRIs, and may take a fair few weeks to get out of the system. I personally didn't want to stay on meds that did that (although if you have sex less frequent it can possibly actually enhance it in some ways as you can possibly last longer and feels better when you finally get there so to speak).

I'd personally have a chat with the doc as there may be some alternatives you can try in terms of other meds, or lower doses or combinations etc (wasn't entirely sure if you are still on it or not).

I'd also question a little the 5mg of Valium 3x a day (whilst I'm sure you feel you need it). Whilst I'm a great supporter of valium, I personally think its better taken as required/irregular/less regular rather than constant when you then can get addicted and used to it needing more.
Closed Thread