SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 9th April 2007, 13:24

Default Swimming

I'm currently in the process of trying to lose weight and get in shape. And to be honest, it's working.

But my personal trainer (I only have one of these so that I don't have to go to a public gym and use public changing rooms) says that I should try going swimming.

Now, I have a real problem with the way I view my body, and the thought of being almost naked in front of that many people at the swimming pool is terrifying. Not to mention the changing rooms.

My trainer suggested that if I wanted to get over a fear of being naked (or nearly) I should find a friend to whom I can explain the problem and who'll go swimming with me, but also who's willing to be seen naked by me first so that the barrier is broken before we get to the swimming baths.

Does this sound sensible? Any thoughts?

D.
Old 9th April 2007, 14:26
Moody Mare

Default Re: Swimming

suppose having the lil one is a blessing, theres seperate family change rooms at our pool, one has a shower etc in it so you and the kids get total privacy from anyone else.

Having the lil one takes my mind off of being self concious I have to concentrate on her safety and happiness at all times.

There are quiet swim times during school hours where kids aint allowed in ect, usually they have like lane sessions too and when ive looked in in the past they were never too busy. My ex used to get free entry when he came with me as he was registered as my carer.
Old 9th April 2007, 14:40

I have been swimming a mile every other day for the past 2 years, I have SA; at first it was a bit difficult to have a shower naked and dressing infront of people etc.

But eventualy i got used to it through repetition, As for losing weight; if you make it a rule to swim a mile every day or other day then you will lose weight for sure, Ofcourse a moderate diet is called for too

I see where your doctor is comming from by advising you to bring along a friend, i do find it way more difficult to shower naked infront of sombody i know then it is to have a shower next to complete stranger, So i make casual friends at the pool; Just the occasional "Hey how was your swim" convo. But rarely extend that friendship outside the pool heh, Maybe i should because that would be a step closer to curing my SA.

Anywho, go swimming! its fun and good luck
Old 9th April 2007, 14:41

Jesus, I could never get in the showers with a bunch of other guys now. I'd much rather wait until I get home. Although when I was a school you pretty much had too.

Also, I think walking about with no top on whether I'm at the swimming baths or at the beach I think I'd still feel pretty uncomfortable, like I'm too exposed or something, even though I think I've got a good body (Sorry, I don't mean to sound big headed or anything )
Old 9th April 2007, 14:47

Unhappy Re: Swimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by well_guy

Anywho, go swimming! its fun and good luck

I'd love to. But to be honest, I really don't think I can. If only live were that simple...

I am losing weight by seeing the personal trainer and going running, but I'd like to go swimming too - it would be a sense of achievement for me.

And, to be honest (and don't take this the wrong way) the way I feel at the moment it wouldn't be fun for me. I'd spend the whole time paranoid everyone was looking at me and hating myself even more than I do now.
Old 9th April 2007, 14:50

Mood
Blah

I used to love swimming when I was younger but am also a bit ashamed of my body and hate the idea of being naked in front of so many people. Plus it would be a freezing day in hell on the day Im caught walking the streets topless.
Old 9th April 2007, 16:01

your makeing it sound much more frightening than it is, ive been swimming for along time, and ive never seen anyone naked! when you have a shower you have your shorts, costume on and wash over it! if i did see anyone naked id think why??? when you can get washed like that, then they always it seems have changeing rooms individual ones, or if its not get dressed under a towel, or pants on under towel the rest isnt so bad,

their are loads of pools out their, go find one thats right for you,. maybe a hotel swimming pool as its more pirvate. i hate pools with clarerey lights so go to ones that have nice lightening or atmosphere, i find some public baths a bit :-/ you just have to choose your own, you can go have a look without going in the pool!!

with body issues onces in the pool noone can father out what you look like the water distorts you, and their are all shapes and sizes in pools old to young to big to middle to disabled, to be honest im more intrested in going for a swim than to check out what people look like.

good luck
Old 9th April 2007, 16:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammie

with body issues onces in the pool noone can father out what you look like the water distorts you, and their are all shapes and sizes in pools old to young to big to middle to disabled, to be honest im more intrested in going for a swim than to check out what people look like.
hi - don't take this the wrong way, I know you're trying to help.

But it doesn't help to be told "noone is looking anyway" as that just makes me feel not only stupid for the way I look, but also stupid for thinking other people may care.

Fundamentally, I know that people arne't looking and judging me, but it doesn't stop me believing that they are.

Sorry - not a good day today. Think I'm going to leave this site. It's not good for me.

Sorry.
Old 9th April 2007, 23:10

I haven't been swimming for a couple of years in a public swimming pool. I would if it was normal to go in long shorts and vest or something.
Closed Thread