SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 1st April 2020, 15:07

Default What Could Be Done By Government to Help People With Social Anxiety Disorder

Ive received some great replys to my last posts, concerning tracing the cause of your social anxiety disorder, and multiple reasons where stated, what stood out was that people with SA tend to have hard beginnings in life, caused by multiple things usually in their early years

Mutiple differnt reasons same result

Bareing this in mind what could be done, by council and government to help SA sufferers?
Old 1st April 2020, 19:52

Mood
Balanced

Default Re: What Could Be Done By Government to Help People With Social Anxiety Disorder

For the Government to recognise the disorder, would be a start.
Old 2nd April 2020, 08:37

Default Re: What Could Be Done By Government to Help People With Social Anxiety Disorder

I dont no if I agree with the first reply, but thanks everyone for replying, my ideas come from my personal problems, one in perticular which also effects 20% of people with social anxiety disorder, is addiction to alcohol, not to mension addiction to other substances, alcoholism is four times higher in people with SA, than the general population

I'm 52 now and tried through groups, and other means to
Help myself and others with SA to get together and live a happier life.

Two weeks ago I emailed my local MP stating that people with SA, need help but more importantly them who develope addictions problem, as this leads to trouble further down the line with hospital, admissions so on, this or the majority of this could be stoped
The number of people with SA and alcoholism is roughly
700,000 in the uk

People have died and or dying through alcoholic liver disease probably through their social anxiety disorder

My idea would be college's for and run by people with SA, where we could gain qualifications and practice graded exposer to the things we fear, eg using phones so on
We could learn things that we like, new science, discovering through experiments so on

I've had problems with alcohol since around 32,and know that finding work with SA is hard, and nerve racking

There's bullys who will give you grief, and I'm talking managers as well as shop floor workers

There's been organization in this country studying SA since the 1930s the government know how destructive it is

The only way is to put our concerns to MPs or directly too the government

Please let me know what you think

Tim
Old 5th September 2020, 19:52

I think they need to improve mental health services. I see so much about trying to improve the stigma around mental health, and trying to remove the stigma of seeking help, but whenever I try to seek help, I can't access it! The waiting lists are too long, and the services offered I feel are inadequate. I would love to have proper one to one counselling or join a group for sufferers but I just can't find anything!

Also, I don't feel the stigma has been removed for social anxiety. I still feel so ashamed for suffering from it. I still don't think people understand it.
Old 5th September 2020, 23:39

Mood
Tired

Permanent lockdown

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
Old 8th September 2020, 12:10
Banned at own request

I'd really like it if it was easier to get help. At a certain point, having to do something as simple as phone up and try to get through their defences, beat the gatekeepers etc. in order to see a doctor is too much. At the moment you might not even be able to see a doctor, maybe it's phone only, I don't know.

Last year, or maybe the year before, I phoned at 8am to get an appointment with the GP, but everyone else phoned up as well and I couldn't get one. The next day I tried again and failed. I didn't try a 3rd time.

Then there's having to go there and sit in the waiting room. Doing that at peak time is too much. At one time I had hospital appointments for something else and you have to sit in a large open plan waiting room, packed with people waiting and staff and visitors moving around. Due to that I stopped going. They'd send me reminders and I'd just ignore them. Eventually they realised that I wasn't going to show up and stopped the reminders.

In some ways I wish you could go to the pharmacy, pay your £9 and get whatever medication you wanted. One way to avoid everything else. At the moment our surgery doesn't do repeat prescriptions, so it's like they don't want you to see anyone, and they don't want you to take anything. We're busy, go away.

There are those who won't jump on the merry go round and instead use a VPN, Tor and bitcoins and buy their meds off the dark web. I don't think I would do that, I think you need a certain amount of expertise and backup from doctors, and going your own way doesn't achieve that.

I just feel like it's hard work to get anywhere now. I'm tired of trying to fend for myself with the anxiety and depression. They have been going unaddressed for years, and I need help with them now.

PS Maybe move this thread to a more appropriate place, then it would get more views and discussion.
Old 8th September 2020, 14:31

They probably do need to spend more on this, but I don't think it will happen. I do think it can be justified even in merely economic terms because of lost productivity and also increased spending on benefits and addiction and who knows what else.
Old 9th September 2020, 23:31

Mood
Cynical

^^ You need to try to find a better GPs surgery! My surgery does online appointment booking now, so you don't even need to use the phone to get one. They also do repeat prescription ordering online. It's so much better for people like us who struggle with phoning for things.
Old 10th September 2020, 09:29
Banned at own request

^ I went along to the surgery and asked if I could sign up for ordering prescriptions online, but they won't allow it if you don't have photo ID. Yet I know someone who was allowed to sign up without it at the same surgery. I don't know if they do online appointments. If I asked they'd probably deny that appointments can be made unless you phone up at 8am. You also get different answers depending on who you talk to. I can't win, I know that. They just want to put you off, to ease the strain on the bureaucracy.
Old 10th September 2020, 15:42

Mood
Cynical

^ Ah, well atleast you can go back with photo ID and sign up for ordering prescriptions online, you need to be able to get your medications!
Old 17th October 2020, 21:03

Recognising social anxiety and other anxiety related conditions as a hidden disability so that people with social anxiety can access support and request more adjustments in the workplace so that they can work more effectively to the same standard as everyone else. Too often highly introverted people are seen as loners, stuck up or just selfish when really it is just down to a different mindset and personality. There are many positive traits associated with introversion, like the need for thoroughness and attention to detail which means you are less likely to rush and make mistakes. Also the ability to be independent and self motivated. I have had social anxiety for 16 years from various causes such as school bullying, unrealistic family expectations and pathological self doubt. I have read some online articles linking social anxiety to underlying traits like autism or aspergers and while not everyone with SA will have these, it is probable that SA can develop from underlying issues that should be better understood. Not everyone likes the word disability but in all honesty social anxiety can feel really disabilitatibg in your ability to interact with others or handle change, limiting opportunities for progress.
Old 18th October 2020, 13:22

Some interesting points.
Old 19th October 2020, 22:42

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuq
Is no one else bothered that this thread is in the introduction area? When it's a question about social anxiety? Is it just my tidy nature?
Should probably be in the Social Anxiety Section, right enough...
Old 9th December 2020, 02:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilm
Should probably be in the Social Anxiety Section, right enough...
Move it, move it!