SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 19th December 2013, 11:13

Mood
Mellow

Default Student with SA

Hello. I'm a University student and I thought I'd introduce myself..
Old 19th December 2013, 11:16

Mood
Alienated

Default Re: Student with SA

Hi, a newbie like myself
Old 19th December 2013, 11:17

Hi Millimoss, welcome aboard.

What are you studying? Did you know there's help available for university students with SA?
Old 19th December 2013, 11:54

Mood
Mellow

I'm studying Music. Ultimately a very social subject. With my problems I can face formal situations and come across as capable and confident in the field of music where I feel comfortable. But ask for to go for drinks after the gig and I will shake, sweat, vomit and run away. How can I be so confident one second and then not the next?

I decided to join this forum as I find being at home difficult. As I'm at University, I live in a house with 6 other girls and so the social problems are in my home. This is unbelievably difficult and I hope that having this outlet to share and read other people's problems will help me to not feel so alone..
Old 19th December 2013, 12:13

Mood
Dreaming

Welcome to the forum

I know myself how difficult a time uni can be when you have SA, but there's lots of support out there and if you have any particular things you want to talk about we are all here to listen and give advice if we can
Old 19th December 2013, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by millimoss93
I'm studying Music. Ultimately a very social subject. With my problems I can face formal situations and come across as capable and confident in the field of music where I feel comfortable. But ask for to go for drinks after the gig and I will shake, sweat, vomit and run away. How can I be so confident one second and then not the next?
I used to have a similar issue: at work I was fine, confident and chatty, but socially I crumpled. I think it was that work is a performance, it's got relatively known boundaries, understood expectations and so on. Compared, the social world seems very complex and hard to negotiate successfully.

Quote:
I decided to join this forum as I find being at home difficult. As I'm at University, I live in a house with 6 other girls and so the social problems are in my home. This is unbelievably difficult and I hope that having this outlet to share and read other people's problems will help me to not feel so alone..
I hope being here helps. Take care
Old 19th December 2013, 21:05

Mood
Dramaqueen

Hello and welcome to SAUK, millimoss93
Old 19th December 2013, 21:08

hello and welcome
Old 19th December 2013, 23:55

Hello, welcome.
Old 20th December 2013, 21:02

Mood
Bookworm

Welcome from another newbie!

I'm a student too, and I know first hand how crippling SA at uni can be. I'm also musical (piano since I was about 5), but I've never been confident playing in front of others- it's mainly just my own personal release. I've always done really well in musical theory exams, but practical ones terrify me. My fingers slip, I rush, lose my place in the music, forget everything I practiced, and the aural tests are a nightmare, particularly the singing part.

It's great you've got at least one part of your life that you feel comfortable in. I hope the confidence you feel in the field of music can soon be transferred to the rest of your life. We're all in it together here