Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 2nd November 2007, 10:55

Default !0 Myths about Vegans

10 Myths about Vegans

1. Vegans are the pale anemic bunch
No way Jose! Get yourself a bucket of cold water before you click into Vegan bodybuilders. Olympic champion Carl Lewis, gorgeous Alicia Silverstone and hot Joaquin Phoenix are amongst famous vegan hotties. You may find the list of vegan celebsat www.goveg.com.

2. If you want to know what’s in fashion, don’t bother asking a vegan
The best fashion accessory for Vegans is the one matching their beliefs. The mainstream has now caught on that “Green is the new Black” and compassion in fashion is in vogue. Stella McCartney is one among many designers who refuses to use fur or leather in any of her prêt-a-porter collections.

3 vegans live on rabbit food
Vegans love their rabbit food but they also love to tantilise their taste buds with scrumptious cuisines from around the world. Does the sound of Brazil Nut Choc Temptation sound too good to be vegan? Go to www.veginity.comfor this recipe and more. For delectable ice cream, try B’Nice Rice Cream.

4 Vegan = Stylish footwear = Oxymoron ….. not any more!
Happy Vegan feet can now step out in style with stores like Bourgeois Boheme, www.bboheme.com. Footwear and accessories for both men and women are ethically sourced from around the world. Look out for the new collection under their own label coming out in the vegan month of November.

5 Vegans love animals more than people
The furry, scaly and warty ones are their passion but high on their priorities too is the welfare of their fellow 2-legged Homo sapiens variety too. Wherever possible, vegans look out for fair trade produce; see The Fair Trade Foundationfor further information.

6.Vegans love animals more than people
The furry, scaly and warty ones are their passion but high on their priorities too is the welfare of their fellow 2-legged Homo sapiens variety too. Wherever possible, vegans look out for fair trade produce; see The Fair Trade Foundationfor further information.

7. Vegans will not rest until they convert the entire world into Vegans
They would love everyone to be vegan of course but they do understand that this is the real world. Another way around is to set up a little country of vegans! One group hopes to purchase an island to establish their very own vegan island community.

8. Vegans are all crazy animal rights activists
There are many passive ways to be the voice for animals and to have fun at the same time. One such “cheeky” way is getting for them to get their gear off and run nude along the streets of Pamplona. Intrigued? Go to PETA’s (People for the Ethical treatment of Animals) www.runningofthenudes.comfor more details.

9. Vegans are tree huggers
Indeed they are and they love hugging lots of other things too! Actually, veganism and environmentalism go hand in hand. Did you know that farmed animals, cow’s flatulence for one, produce more greenhouse gas emissions (18%) than the world’s entire transport system (13.5%)? Go to the Vegan Society for further interesting facts.

10. Vegans have a chip on their shoulders
“Let’s say you were stranded on a deserted island and your only food source was a turtle, would you eat it…?”
Vegans are bombarded with such absurd scenarios everyday; it’s not surprising that they may snap back! If you really want to know what vegetarian ethics is about go to Vegetarians International Voice for Animalswebsite
Old 2nd November 2007, 11:00

Mood
Pensive

Default Re: !0 Myths about Vegans

My younger sister has recently become a vegan and she's lovely

Just to nit-pick though, points five and six are exactly the same!
Old 2nd November 2007, 11:17

Yes we usually are!
Old 2nd November 2007, 12:37

I'm only vegetarian and I like animals far more than people.
Old 2nd November 2007, 12:39

Vegetarians are goode people too!
Old 2nd November 2007, 12:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodeone
What about people that aren't vegetarian?
Old 2nd November 2007, 12:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
What about people that aren't vegetarian?

*desperately tries to bite his lip at such a wonderful opportunity*
Old 2nd November 2007, 12:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodeone
Vegetarians like Adolf Hitler
Old 2nd November 2007, 12:55

I just don't understand that statement at all. What do you mean by it? All vegetarians are 'good' people? To be 'good', you have to be a vegetarian/vegan? What do you mean by 'good'?
Old 2nd November 2007, 13:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
I just don't understand that statement at all. What do you mean by it? All vegetarians are 'good' people? To be 'good', you have to be a vegetarian/vegan? What do you mean by 'good'?

He actually said goode people and his username is Goodeone?

Maybe he means you're one of us too if you're a veggy...like some kind of non meat eating club?
Old 2nd November 2007, 13:07
I.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by givusabud

Maybe he means you're one of us too if you're a veggy...like some kind of non meat eating club?

I could be mistaken but I always thought goodeone was female?
Old 2nd November 2007, 13:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by givusabud

I just thought she made a typo.
Old 2nd November 2007, 13:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intro Guy
I could be mistaken but I always thought goodeone was female?

Doh!! Sorry MISS Goodeone.
Old 2nd November 2007, 14:24

I was going to ask what goode meant. In her name and as referenced here
Old 2nd November 2007, 14:30

I think it is actually to do with her real name. Not trying to call herself good or something just finds it funny I think.
Old 2nd November 2007, 14:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSwan
I was going to ask what goode meant. In her name and as referenced here
Ye olde way or pronouncing?

Perhaps she means 'goodie' but spelt it wrong?

*Gasps*. It's a mystery.
Old 2nd November 2007, 14:37

Oh dear, Goodone, it all starts again Actually, I thought your post was excellent. But then, I'm biased.
Old 2nd November 2007, 14:38

No just her name
Old 2nd November 2007, 15:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah_on_toast
oo. i used to be vegan for about 10 months, but it made me feel ill and i had exams.. not a good combo. so i stopped.

i guess i'm only a little bit good now as i'm only a veggie.
Me too, I do eat eggs, but I make sure they're organic and free range. I am trying to give up dairy produce, because apart from the ethics of it, I really don't think it's very good for you. I love cheese, but it definitely gives me a headache.
I know I feel much better when I have lots of vegetables and salads and soup and fruit. I have much more energy. The only thing is, I get cravings for cheese on toast
Old 2nd November 2007, 15:40

Quote:
hehe. yeah, i felt much healthier as a vegan, but i found that when i needed energy to study i felt so drained and really weak. i was eating the right amount of protein a day, but just didn't have the time to eat properly during the exam period.

I don't really have much dairy. I make sure I buy eggs that haven't been fertalised and are free range too.
But if you didn't have the time to eat properly, then surely it wouldn't have made any difference whether you had vegan food or not. Or do you mean that vegan food takes longer to prepare? The Diet Doctor food book's very good for quick, nourishing vegan food. Things like mustard and parsley butterbean mash. I tried it and it is gorgeous mmmmm Lovely on toast and very nourishing. A bit like humous. I love it with watercress and olives with mashed avocados.
Old 2nd November 2007, 16:04

Being weak and tired means you aren't eating right and meat does not have to be part of that. There are vegan body builders. It's not about protein, it's about calories.

Eat lots of nuts. Lots and lots of nuts. And bananas.
Old 2nd November 2007, 16:13

Quote:
sorry. i mean i was in uni all day revising cause it was too noisey in halls. plus i get distracted by tv and the internet teehee.

i didn't have time to go home and cook. my halls were too far from any supermarkets and uni. my dissertation was due in and i was spending most of my waking hours getting that done. then two weeks after i had exams. So I was spending my days half doing my diss and half revising. and i had six exams usually on consequtive (sp?) days, so there just wasn't enough time in the day! i used to just have salad sandwiches, crisps, flapjacks and luckozade. that's all they had at uni that i could eat. and it was just making me ill and weak. so i just used to eat the veggie meals they served at uni.

sorry for the violin story! i have no good excuses for not being vegan now, as uni is over. it just makes me feel weak and tired.
There must be lots of vegans at universities and not just for ethical reasons, some people have special diet needs for health reasons. The vegetarian diet sounds like c..p too. I do know what you mean about veganism. Unless you spend a lot of time working out a balanced diet, it can be debilitating. I have a friend who's been one for years and he's healthier than anyone I know. He eats a lot of nuts and pulses, rice and vegetables and for some reason absolutely swears by red cabbage. He says if he doesn't eat it every day, he begins to feel weak. It seems that red vegetables are good for the blood, beetroot, etc. Oh, no, I just fancy quorn sausages and chips with lashing of HP sauce.
Old 2nd November 2007, 16:35

Quote:
hehe. yeah. it's rubbish. i think some unis have vegetarian/vegan socieities and they campaign for vegan food.

i've never really been able to stomach quorn, it tastes too much like meat! i prefer the cauldron tofu sausages. do you like those? mm delish.

yeah, i used to eat loads of beans and pulses and grains and seeds and nuts and drink soya milk/milkshake. but once you don't have time to prepare what you'll eat each day it all goes wrong. and i'm terrible at eating these days. i'll skip breakfast and lunch because i sort of forget to eat. but as i say uni is over, and i have no real commitments, so i am a rubbish person for not going back to veganism.

i'm going to try your mash recipe. it sounds well deelish. thanks :]
The mash recipe:

1 large tin of butter beans, drained and rinsed in cold water. Put in a pan with half a pint of vegetable stock. (stock cube will do).
Cook the butter beans in the stock until the water is mostly absorbed, then mash and add Dijon mustard and flat leaved parsley. I add some tamari sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Serve with salad or have on crispy toast with tomatoes, etc.

No ones a rubbish person for not going back. You did more than most and tried it. If you did have all those foods you should have had, and still felt tired, etc. maybe you were missing some essential trace element. I have some vitimins specially for vegans and vegetarians. Also, I really recommend Manuka honey. I know it's expensive, but it really is good for you. Try taking a couple of teaspoons a day with cider vinegar. It's a good tonic if you're run down.

Yes, I suppose quorn is a bit meaty - maybe there's still a ravening carnivore somewhere inside me trying to get out. Raarrrrr! I love all the Caldron things!
Old 2nd November 2007, 20:25

Quote:

I don't really have much dairy. I make sure I buy eggs that haven't been fertalised and are free range too.
I thought all eggs were UNfertilised? Please tell me I'm right and I haven't been eating chicken foetuses every day foe the past 2 weeks for breakfast?
Old 2nd November 2007, 20:31

Quote:
yep. i know, i know and i did. i didnee say my tiredness & weakness was due to protein did i, silly? i used to eat nuts, seeds, bananas. still do. i love em. i even sometimes do the banana man dance before eating one :P

vegan body builders drink loads of protein shakes. ming.

Did you just call me silly?
Old 3rd November 2007, 13:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Starla*
I thought all eggs were UNfertilised? Please tell me I'm right and I haven't been eating chicken foetuses every day foe the past 2 weeks for breakfast?
Once again.

I am about to have a runny boiled egg and toast, I NEED to know this!
Old 3rd November 2007, 13:54

I thought a fetilised egg was a chicken.

I have noticed a red dot in some raw eggs and apparently this can be a sign is was fertilised, but can also just be a spot of blood from the hen.

I had never considered this in the past and it's worrying me slightly.
Closed Thread