SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 18th August 2019, 20:35

Default Re: Do you get anxious about chatting to neighbours?

My neighbours have caused a lot of stress for me..
Now they are ok..
But I still avoid them..
Old 18th August 2019, 20:53

Mood
Tired

Yes, find this really difficult. I keep the curtains closed when I'm in the house alone and don't answer the door if someone knocks. I get my parents to answer the door and phone. Sometimes even when a family member calls I won't answer the phone and pretend I didn't hear it. When the Tesco delivery comes I hide away upstairs too. I don't talk to the neighbors, well I'll say hello but only quietly and keep my head down.
Old 19th August 2019, 15:11

I'm so lucky with neighbours.. those on each side are lovely, old couple to one side, young family to the other. The old guy got taken to hospital last night and I've just given his wife a lift up to visit. They're proper old school decent and appreciate the same in others. The young family are great and the mum is forever borrowing stuff off us lol.. others in the immediate vicinity (next nearest 3-4 houses) we tend to be on enthusiastic "hello" terms with. I reckon that's a similar pattern for most in the street.

I think it's partly cos it's a road people choose to live in.. I'm not saying that in a smug way (my house is tiny, old Victorian 2 up 2 down semi built as workers cottages) but it's got character, the houses were all built to a similar design in the 1890s and is close to the shops.

So yeah. I feel lucky.
Old 19th August 2019, 15:13

I do relate to messages here though.. I remember being in Halls of Residence at Uni and dreading coming out. Not ideal when you're reliant on a shared toilet.
Old 21st August 2019, 17:42

You need a hedge, or a fence
Old 22nd August 2019, 01:36

Yes extremely.

Just today when I was mowing my lawn my neighbour called out to me over the fence. He made a joke about keeping the noise down accept I didn't realise it was a joke and started to apologise profusely. I was then caught up in conversation for half an hour or more, all the while desperately trying to keep a lid on my anxiety

My neighbours are all very friendly which is absolutely lovely but it means that often a quick 'hi' eyes down won't do. I guess if I didn't try so desperately hard to come across as 'normal' half the battle would be won but trying to be as smiley and chatty as the person I'm talking with is so mentally and physically draining.

Still, I shouldn't complain. Friendly neighbours that test my social anxiety are far more preferable than horrid unfriendly neighbours who would equally test my social anxiety
Old 22nd August 2019, 09:28

^Consolida, you come across as a really thoughtful and lovely person. I bet your neighbours think that too!
Old 22nd August 2019, 11:18

^ Aw that's kind of you

I don't think I come across very well offline as my stupid social anxiety always gets the better of me

My neighbour and his wife are always saying what good neighbours we are which is lovely but considering their previous neighbours were the 'neighbours from hell' it's not a particularly high bar that we need to reach