Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 6th May 2021, 10:19

Mood
Bored

Default Rambles

.... are ramblers actually ramblers? they seem to stick to a set route/map so that's not really rambling is it! if they did ramble I'm sure you would see more of them rambling around looking a bit lost thinking which way they should go ,left or right one way could lead to a beautiful view and the other leads to dog poo alley , are there city ramblers? most groups seem to stay in countryside areas...
Old 7th May 2021, 10:37

Mood
Bored

Default Re: Rambles

yes , I remember falling into the brambles , while blackberry picking , ouch
Old 7th May 2021, 18:51

Mood
Fine

I think that 'Ramble' often just simply means a shorter walk than a 'Hike' nowadays.

Think the term 'Ramble' has probably evolved away from its original meaning for most folk.....
Old 7th May 2021, 19:01

ahahaha

You'll have to start up CARR

Campaign for Real Rambling
Old 7th May 2021, 22:14

Mood
Tired

Rambling with the aid of a map or guidebook is walking or hiking really, surely?
Real rambling is more akin to a drunken trudge through the local hedgerows,...possibly trying to escape the restrictions of suburbia (or improvising over the lack of toilet facilities )

I used to like "rambling"...or walking where the wind blew me, as I used to call it,..
It tended to unnerve people though,..the fact I had no plan, and just went where nature directed me to,..
That lack of thinking and trust in nature threw people off guard a bit.
Old 8th May 2021, 00:02

Mood
Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody

I used to like "rambling"...or walking where the wind blew me, as I used to call it,..
too many beans?
Old 8th May 2021, 16:27

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored
too many beans?
You can never have too many beans
Old 8th May 2021, 16:31

Mood
Cynical

I think actual rambling might find you facing the wrath of farmers or encountering charging cows, which could be a bit dangerous!

They always look jolly though when I see rambling groups with their backpacks and their hats and their sticks.
Old 9th May 2021, 20:21

Mood
Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored
.... are ramblers actually ramblers? they seem to stick to a set route/map so that's not really rambling is it! if they did ramble I'm sure you would see more of them rambling around looking a bit lost thinking which way they should go ,left or right one way could lead to a beautiful view and the other leads to dog poo alley , are there city ramblers? most groups seem to stay in countryside areas...
I'm going to use it on the next rambler I meet, 'yeah, but you're not really rambling, are you?'

I now appreciate my mum's rebellious spirit as she used to hate sticking to set routes and used to drag me and my brothers off the beaten track to god knows where. I learned the same behaviour and I think that's what caused my first girlfriend to leave me as she got fed up on our little holidays as she hated not knowing where we were going and having to tramp through bracken and heather with no clear path I admit I am a bit weird as I don't even mind getting stung and scratched up a bit by brambles and nettles. I think it's cos I live in safe and sterile London and I love to get away and feel like I used to as a boy.
Old 10th May 2021, 00:21

Mood
Bored

there was a comedy on the bbc about some ramblers, I'm not sure what it was called , I think there were only about four episodes, I remember it was pretty good
Old 12th May 2021, 12:20

Mood
Cynical

^ I remember that! I really liked it.