SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 15th January 2011, 11:41
Banned

Default The Autism-Spectrum Quotient (AQ) Test

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aqtest.html

"Take The AQ Test

Psychologist Simon Baron-Cohen and his colleagues at Cambridge's Autism Research Centre have created the Autism-Spectrum Quotient, or AQ, as a measure of the extent of autistic traits in adults. In the first major trial using the test, the average score in the control group was 16.4. Eighty percent of those diagnosed with autism or a related disorder scored 32 or higher. The test is not a means for making a diagnosis, however, and many who score above 32 and even meet the diagnostic criteria for mild autism or Asperger's report no difficulty functioning in their everyday lives."

I thought people who think they could have Asperger's Syndrome/be on the Autistic Spectrum might want to try this test.
Old 15th January 2011, 12:00
Banned

Default Re: The Autism-Spectrum Quotient (AQ) Test

I scored 41 and I have a diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome.

It is my personal belief that there are a fair amount of people on here who
have a higher than average number of autistic traits. They might not
qualify for an actual diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome or High Functioning Autism,
but these traits are having an affect on their social interactions.
Old 15th January 2011, 12:02

I got 22.
Old 15th January 2011, 12:04
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Agree: 2,4,9,13,16,20,21,22,26,35,41,42,45,46: 1 point
Disagree: 1,3,8,10,11,14,15,17,24,25,27,28,31,32,34,36,38,40 ,44,47,50: 1 point
Score: 35
Old 15th January 2011, 12:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessa456
It is my personal belief that there are a fair amount of people on here who have a higher than average number of autistic traits. They might not qualify for an actual diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome or High Functioning Autism, but these traits are having an affect on their social interactions.
SAers can score highly on these tests because SA and AS share a lot of symptoms of social difficulties, but the causes of the symptoms are different between the two personality types. Like you say though, theyre'll no doubt be a few undiagnosed AS people in any SA forum
Old 15th January 2011, 12:27
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneebeli
SAers can score highly on these tests because SA and AS share a lot of symptoms of social difficulties, but the causes of the symptoms are different between the two personality types. Like you say though, they'll no doubt be a few undiagnosed AS people in any SA forum
Agreed, but Asperger's Syndrome isn't a personality type - it's a form of Autism, which is a neurological disorder.

Social Anxiety isn't a personality type either in my opinion but it's open to debate that it indicates an overly-anxious type of personality I suppose.

In my experience even when people on boards like this get a strong indication they might be on the autistic spectrum they don't want to accept it as they don't want to be categorised as autistic. This is because they hold the average view of autism as indicating mental retardation. They don't want to be 'tarred with the ****** brush' in other words lol

This is perfectly understandable but very amusing to me.
Old 15th January 2011, 12:43

Mood
Tired

I got 32.

Very interesting...I was convinced last year I must have Asperger's but my psychiatrist (who is very good and highly regarded) said he is pretty certain I don't have that and his diagnosis was very clear: social anxiety.

I certainly have some of the traits, like spotting details other people don't and finding conversation awkward (knowing when to speak etc). I think there is a significant overlap between Autism and SA. That said, SA is one of the main symptoms of Autism. I think my conclusion here is that most people with Autism probably have SA but most people with SA don't necesarrily have Autism.
Old 15th January 2011, 12:45

Mood
Tired

On the subject of Autism and mental retardation, that is the general public's perception of it, however, Asperger's Syndrome is different and people with that tend to be highly intelligent rather than ********. People with SA can identify with Asperger's but I doubt many people here have 'classic' Autism.
Old 15th January 2011, 12:58

Mood
Mellow

34!! :yikes: I'm going out will look into this properly later.
Old 15th January 2011, 12:59
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boc11
On the subject of Autism and mental retardation, that is the general public's perception of it, however, Asperger's Syndrome is different and people with that tend to be highly intelligent rather than ********. People with SA can identify with Asperger's but I doubt many people here have 'classic' Autism.
That was the point I was making - people assume the term Autism just means mental retardation but people with Asperger Syndrome by default have an average or above average IQ.

I'd say your psychiatrist is wrong and that you are probably on the autistic spectrum.
Old 15th January 2011, 13:06

Quote:
Agreed, but Asperger's Syndrome isn't a personality type - it's a form of Autism, which is a neurological disorder.

Social Anxiety isn't a personality type either in my opinion but it's open to debate that it indicates an overly-anxious type of personality I suppose.
Fair point about my loose semantics there, nessa I changed 'disorder' to 'personality' at the last minute as some people don't think it's helpful to label people with the D-word.

Quote:
I certainly have some of the traits, like spotting details other people don't and finding conversation awkward (knowing when to speak etc). I think there is a significant overlap between Autism and SA. That said, SA is one of the main symptoms of Autism. I think my conclusion here is that most people with Autism probably have SA but most people with SA don't necesarrily have Autism.
I'd have to disagree with some of that, Boc11 . I don't think SA is one of the biggest symptom of AS, or that there's necessarily a large overlap between the two. With AS, as I understand it (pls correct me if I'm wrong!) the fundamental problem is one of not understanding the unwritten social rules, and lacking empathy with others, so not understanding when they are getting bored (as reflected in the test questions). Some of the AS people I have met have been completely uninhibited socially, which is pretty much the opposite of SA. Clearly though some AS people do feel SA.

SA OTOH comes in many flavours and can describe both a spontaneous feeling of anxiety in social situations that everyone feels at some time or other, through to the disorder proper where it's an ongoing pathological problem. The lack of clarity on the definition makes things muddy I suppose.
Old 15th January 2011, 13:11

Mood
Tired

Quote:
That was the point I was making - people assume the term Autism just means mental retardation but people with Asperger Syndrome by default have an average or above average IQ.

I'd say your psychiatrist is wrong and that you are probably on the autistic spectrum.
Yes, I agree, although at the less severe end of the spectrum.

Quote:
Fair point about my loose semantics there, nessa I changed 'disorder' to 'personality' as some people don't think it's helpful to label people with the D-word.

I'd have to disagree with some of that, Boc11 . I don't think SA is the biggest symptom of AS, or that there's necessarily a large overlap between the two. With AS, as I understand it (pls correct me if I'm wrong!) the fundamental problem is one of not understanding the unwritten social rules, and lacking empathy with others, so not understanding when they are getting bored (as reflected in the test questions). Some of the AS people I have met have been completely uninhibited socially, which is pretty much the opposite of SA. Clearly though some AS people do feel SA.

SA OTOH comes in many flavours and can describe both a spontaneous feeling of anxiety in social situations that everyone feels at some time or other, through to the disorder proper where it's an ongoing pathological problem. The lack of clarity on the definition makes things muddy I suppose.
Yes, I agree with this as well. While I have difficulty interacting with people and things such as not 'getting' other people's body language, I can and do have empathy for others. I think that may be one of the clear differences between AS and SA. There is an overlap of symptoms.
Old 15th January 2011, 13:13
Banned

Quote:
Fair point about my loose semantics there, nessa I changed 'disorder' to 'personality' as some people don't think it's helpful to label people with the D-word.

I'd have to disagree with some of that, Boc11 . I don't think SA is the biggest symptom of AS, or that there's necessarily a large overlap between the two. With AS, as I understand it (pls correct me if I'm wrong!) the fundamental problem is one of not understanding the unwritten social rules, and lacking empathy with others, so not understanding when they are getting bored (as reflected in the test questions). Some of the AS people I have met have been completely uninhibited socially, which is pretty much the opposite of SA. Clearly though some AS people do feel SA.

I quite agree.

I myself have met a number of other people with Asperger Syndrome who have no sign of social anxiety so it's certainly not present by default.

You get extrovert as well as introvert aspies and I suspect it's the introverts who are more likely to have Social Anxiety.

I think depression is possibly more likely to be potentially co-morbid with the Aspergers than SA but it's probably a close-run thing.
Old 15th January 2011, 13:48

^ that's interesting nessa, didn't know depression was a problem for Aspies.

Quote:
While I have difficulty interacting with people and things such as not 'getting' other people's body language, I can and do have empathy for others. I think that may be one of the clear differences between AS and SA.
Yes, I sometimes have trouble with other people's body language, etc. I wonder whether it's due to the 'self-monitoring' thing which doesn't leave enough brain power for us to focus on the other person, whereas non-SA people who don't self-monitor are free to focus completely on the other person?

Quote:
There is an overlap of symptoms.
Sorry, i was perhaps misinterpreting you there -- yes, I know some of my relatives have decided I have aspergers...
Old 15th January 2011, 14:11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe 88
Ali G's bro devised this test
No, they are cousins

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Baron-Cohen

"Baron-Cohen is the son of Judith and Vivian Baron-Cohen. He is married to Bridget Lindley and together they have three children, including independent film maker Sam Baron and songwriter Kate Baron. His brothers are film director Ash Baron Cohen and Dan Baron Cohen (International Drama and Education Association). His sisters include acupuncturist Aliza Baron Cohen. His cousins include computer scientist Amnon Baron Cohen, composer and musician Erran Baron Cohen, comic actor Sacha Baron Cohen, composer Lewis Furey, film producer Daniel Louis, playwright Richard Greenblatt, University of Washington chemistry professor Seymour Rabinovitch, University of Montana Japanese professor Judith Rabinovitch, and film-director Mark Robson."

I've corresponded by email with Simon Baron-Cohen and have seen him give a talk on autism at an event organised by Autism West Midlands.
Old 15th January 2011, 14:22

Blimey, they're a high achieving family!
Old 15th January 2011, 14:28
Banned

Quote:
Blimey, they're a high achieving family!
Not half! lol

Imagine being an under-achiever in that family!
Old 15th January 2011, 14:32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocasta
Got a 7.
7???!

Oh my God!

You appear to be the antithesis of autistic!

Would you say you are very empathetic?

This might be you:-

"The theory also predicts the existence of the mirror-image of autism or Asperger syndrome, namely, the extreme female brain. Science has not even begun to investigate what such people are like, but we know they must have impairments in systemising, alongside normal or even talented empathising."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...ducation/print

"They just can't help it

What kind of brain do you have? There really are big differences between the male and female brain, says Simon Baron-Cohen. And they could help explain conditions such as autism Do you have a male or female brain?"
Old 15th January 2011, 14:39

What does 22 mean nessa?
Old 15th January 2011, 14:41

Mood
Thinking

Agree: 2,5,6,9,12,16,19,20,22,23,26,33,35,41,43,46: 1 point
Disagree: 1,10,11,25,29,30,32,47,48,49: 1 point
Score: 26

I have been seen by counsellors who believed that I had Aspergers, however in the end they said that nothing was wrong with me, although I do have very minor symptoms.
Old 15th January 2011, 14:50

Mood
Thinking

I have 25 :D
Old 15th January 2011, 14:55
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfan
What does 22 mean nessa?
Hi crazyfan

"In the first major trial using the test, the average score in the control group was 16.4. Eighty percent of those diagnosed with autism or a related disorder scored 32 or higher."

So the average scored by non-autistic people was 16.4

With a score of 22 you are approx 6 points away from the non-autistic category and 10 points away from the autistic category so I'd say you're not autistic but with the odd one or two autistic traits (possibly). Or perhaps most people have some autistic traits so you're completely average, who knows?

You're closer to the non-autistic camp than the autistic one though from the looks of it.
Old 15th January 2011, 14:57
Banned

Quote:
Well, judging by what I have just read I can safely say I definately have a "female brain".

I am probably too empathetic, if that is at all possible. I am quite sensitive to other peoples reactions, particularly people I know well and care about. I can spot a change in their moods before they are even aware of it themselves. Maybe this is why people find me to be so laid back and easy going. I will adapt my manner to suit their moods, just to give myself an easy time. I would not say I am a pushover but I am immensely flexible and can cope with spontaneity and will follow other peoples whims (mainly my partners mad impulsive nature) with no trouble.

My partner says he used to find it creepy when I would ask him if he was ok...cos usually he wasn't and he said it was like I could get inside his head and read his mind.

I am definately not technically minded - yet I am a whizz when it comes to putting together a flat-pack!!!

So the test does appear to be pretty accurate in my case!!!
Yes, it's quite fascinating - I bet you'd be an ideal research subject for Simon Baron-Cohen!

I might email him about you to see what he says if that's ok?

Would you say this empathising just comes naturally to you and that you enjoy doing it?
Old 15th January 2011, 15:11

Mood
Chatty

I got 38.

From my understanding of AS, I always thought I would be a perfect candidate for that diagnosis.

Yet no doctors, nurses, psychs etc have ever mentioned it to me, so I guess I project something different outwardly to what I feel inside.
Old 15th January 2011, 15:16

Score: 19
Old 15th January 2011, 15:16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40mk17.4
I got 38.

From my understanding of AS, I always thought I would be a perfect candidate for that diagnosis.

Yet no doctors, nurses, psychs etc have ever mentioned it to me, so I guess I project something different outwardly to what I feel inside.

Most doctors, nurses and psychiatrists don't even know Asperger's Syndrome exists, let alone be competent enough to diagnose it!

Prior to my own diagnosis at the age of 37, I said to the psychiatrist I had been sent to see by occupational health from work that I had vaguely considered I might have Asperger's Syndrome and he said it was funny I should say that as he was thinking along the same lines (yeah right! lol). So he sent me to see his colleague who was a Child and Adolescent Neuro-Psychiatrist and he diagnosed me as having AS. He said I was the first adult he'd ever diagnosed.

So never take what the medical/mental health professions say or don't say as gospel!
Old 15th January 2011, 15:17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe 88
Ah my bad I thought I remembered reading they were brothers.
I had to look it up myself as I often forget what their exact relationship is.
Old 15th January 2011, 15:22
Banned

Quote:
It definately comes naturally to me. And yes, I do enjoy it.

I once posted that I could spot a person with SA a mile off. I see the little SA traits that I used to have and know how to talk to the person to try to include them, and allow them to gain confidence around me.

This has worked particularly well with one guy in work who rarely speaks to anyone - but is now very chatty with me and has such a caustic sense of humour that every conversation is a pleasure. He comes out with the witty one liners and I say them to the crowd, giving him all the credit of course. Now more people are willing to try a little harder with him as he is no longer seen as the "weird, quiet bloke with no personality".

Don't I sound like a bloody do-gooder??

There is another new guy who does not speak to a soul but who always looks as if he wants to join in the chat. I spoke to him when passing him in a corridor the other day and he physically jumped and hurried off without even looking at me. Think I need to work on my approach ....
This is really interesting.

You are my opposite basically - you have an excess of what I lack.

You aren't a 'do-gooder' for helping those shy people either - it's a vey decent, kind thing to help out ones fellow human beings and more people should do the same!

You are evidently adept at moderating your reponse precisely to each specific person. This is a very valuable commodity in today's society.
Old 15th January 2011, 15:35
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic
Not so amusing once you are tarred with the ****** brush though is it?

32 or above Aspie? Looks like I am one after all - but perhaps a borderline NT like I've said before.
I just like the new phrase I invented - 'Tarred with the ****** brush' lol

Re-tarred with the re-tard lol

I like word-plays

People who would tar me with the ****** brush are of no interest to me anyway - they're never intelligent from my experience. No one's ever directly called me it anyway. I once told a woman at work who used it to refer to someone else that I found the term offensive and she used it again on another occasion quite obviously deliberately. I let it pass as I've only got a limited amount of patience to focus on re-educating idiots

My partner scored 45 to my 41 so he 'out-autistics' me! He hasn't been diagnosed but he thinks he's more likely to be High Functioning Autistic as opposed to Asperger.
Old 15th January 2011, 15:43
Banned

Quote:
Mainly, I think it is that I have finally become the person I have strived to be for 2 decades. I am now the confident, chatty person I used to look up to.

But I could never forget the old SA side of me and know full well how crappy it can make life. I occassionally get flashes of my old reactions (had to take a deep breath and 10secs to "prepare" myself before entering a crowded room for a work meeting ) and these keep me from being too complacent and big-headed about how I have changed.

I do find quieter people more interesting to talk to than the loud, gobby ones. Although the latter are initially easier, they become more irritating quicker. (Then they get my "God, you're a prat" smile )
Lol

I now know who to come to for expert advice on how to deal with people
Closed Thread