SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 17th January 2006, 13:20
h_flear

Default Who do you find hardest to talk to?

My main SA symptom is starting conversation. I'm ok at joining in with most people I see regulary. However, I find it impossible to speak to my mother-in-law, even in reply, eventhough I've known her for 10 years. I have no idea why. She is down to earth (a bit 'away with the fairies' at times but... ), she makes me feel welcome, I know she likes me and respects me, etc. Yet she is just about the only person I can't have any kind of conversation with.

So I was just wondering, who is the one person you find makes your SA worse?
Old 17th January 2006, 13:25
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

Default Re: Who do you find hardest to talk to?

I hate talking to doctors. I find my anxiety is very high with them. I have an ear infection at the moment but am putting off going to the doctors until I absolutely have to.

I find it hard to talk to nearly anyone on the telephone.

ren
Old 17th January 2006, 14:01

I find it difficult talking to my parents, also certain friends
Old 17th January 2006, 14:06

Mood
Musical

i find it differcult to talk in a group even with friends that i know its still hard but i'm alot better one on one with friends.

Also like Laura said talking on the phone is a nightmare for me too i hate it & try to avoid it at all costs.
Old 17th January 2006, 14:38

It's hard to talk to anything that looks like a human being
Old 17th January 2006, 14:59

Mood
Tired

I'm OKish with older people but anyone in my own age group absolutely terrifies me. If they're female then double the terror.
Old 17th January 2006, 15:09

i am finding it difficult talking to my postman. he sometimes rings the bell if he has a big pakage for me that he cant skweeze through my flap. then i get woblly, i dont want to open the door and i cant find what to say. When i open my door he is there. and sometimes i cant find what to say. I have asked him before jus to leave the pakage down my back ally, but he says he cant in case it gets wet. i wish he would not always be outside my door. i think its my postman.
Old 17th January 2006, 15:12

Mood
Musical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boc11
If they're female then double the terror.
yes i seconded this too.
Old 17th January 2006, 15:28

I third this.If I had to talk to a load of teenagers I'd be sh1t scared.Not that I hate them or anything.Walking into a secondard school now would be my worst nightmare.I guess I would never make a good teacher.
Old 17th January 2006, 15:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentTrev
yes i seconded this too.
I triple that!
Old 17th January 2006, 19:58
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversmartie24
I triple that!
I quadruple that. It's gotten to the stage now where i've shut girls out my life completely.
Old 17th January 2006, 20:34

Just reading this makes me realise again how our anxieties affect us all in different ways. Myself, I find it easier to talk to women, than men. I wouldn't say I ever have a big conversation with a woman though, but I never feel too uncomfortable talking with them. Years ago, I wasn't so comfortable because whenever I had to talk to a woman, I would think "I wonder what they think of me...hope she doesn't think I'm too ugly etc", but these days I couldn't care less what they think and I think that attitude helps me relax. But, I do admit that I completely avoid situations where I might be "expected" to have a proper conversation with someone.

Ben
Old 18th January 2006, 08:33

For the females in the group who have a problem with other females why do you think that is? From my own experience i was mentally bullied very badly, but i suppose it is the fact that woman are very catty.
Old 18th January 2006, 09:14

Groups or a person in a group are difficult, one to one's are much more managable. Outdoors is far easier than inside, especially when crowded. People in authority concern me less, doctors no problem till they ask tell me how i feel.
Old 18th January 2006, 10:07

Mood
Inspired

1) total stranger ,say in a pub or say a school parents evening where I would have to make my own excuse to approach if not introduced by an aquaintance.
2) Difficult to join in with a group of strangers (Or even slight aquaintances ) if they are already closely engaged speaking to each other. It feels like an invasion of a private conversation.
3) Sometimes it hard to find an excuse to speak to a stranger at a party even tho theyre not engaged in convo with somone else.

Most other social occasions I find I;m fairly "normal" now.
Old 18th January 2006, 14:03

my supervisor at work, he thinks i'm a complete freak as he has noticed that i'm cool with some people but not him, other people like him, women are fine mostly as long as there not too judgmental,
the post about the postman was hillarious but I can relate to that, I also get nervous when I have to sign for something, answering the door wide eyed they detect your anxiety and respond with the same fearful wide eyed-ness, maybe if you pretend your postman is a cute furry little kitten and pet him he wont come back!
Old 18th January 2006, 23:49

Mood
Sunshine

find it difficult to talk to girls.. ppl in authority.. ppl who appear confident.. outgoing.. that includes even ppl who are friends...
Old 19th January 2006, 01:43

I find it tough talking to pretty much anyone if it's in a situation where I don't have what I perceive to be an 'escape route', in case the anxiety kicks in. one on one convos are particularly bad. Less so with strangers, though - if it's someone I don't know, or reckon I'll never meet again, I'm not so concerned about the impression I'll make or their judging me, so I'm more relaxed.
Old 19th January 2006, 17:51

Mood
Thinking

I find it hard talking to girls. I get paranoid that they'll find me unattractive and will judge me on it (shallow I know)

My main problem overall is that I can never think of anything to say to anyone after the initial "Hi, hows it goin?"
Closed Thread