SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 11th March 2023, 09:42

Default Social Skills Training Groups

Old 11th March 2023, 10:06

Default Re: Social Skills Training Groups

They do exist, but I've never seen anything like them in these parts.
Old 11th March 2023, 13:26

Mood
Tired

http://www.socialconfidencemastery.c...ng-for-adults/
Old 11th March 2023, 15:48

This sounds like a good idea. Although we often don't come across how we perceive we do. I went to something similar and I felt incredibly awkward and forced but the counsellor said I came across as approachable and confident. I was like ... what

What sort of thing would you hope to gain from it?
Old 11th March 2023, 18:28

^ how about emailing out to some places like mind to see if they know of anything in your area? I know Mind has a befriending service so maybe something like that could help for a bit. It's not like they're your pretend friend, they're someone to talk to and point you in the direction of services etc.

Yeah, email a few places and see if they can suggest anything.
Old 13th March 2023, 14:54

Maybe "impressing" was the wrong word to use? I think being able to have good relations with others is a very important social skill, and impressing people definitely comes in to that.

I don't know how to word this? I'm not a naturally likeable person. It takes a huge amount of effort and energy to create the facade that I need to mix with others. If I didn't make that effort I'd be living as a hermit.

I want the approval and acceptance of others. Isn't that natural? Isn't that what everyone wants? It doesn't make sense to me that anyone wouldn't want that. Why bother with friendships or relationships otherwise? I don't want other people to control my happiness, but being the local laughing stock isn't much fun either.

Confidence, self-esteem, and projecting a warm, friendly , likeable image doesn't come naturally to me. For me it doesn't come from within, I have to make this huge effort as it's not natural for me to feel that way.
Old 13th March 2023, 15:43

Mood
Cynical

^ I can understand what you're saying. Just to give a different viewpoint though, I do often find myself drawn to people who aren't immediately overly friendly, people who are a bit more honest if they disagree with things or have a different opinion. People who seem too agreeable can be a bit off-putting, to me anyway.

I don't think you have to change your whole way of being in order for people to have a more positive reaction to you. But maybe this is what you're trying to work out with the social skills training? You feel like you just want to be more positively viewed overall?
Old 15th March 2023, 12:09

It comes across like you might be in a bit of a rut? Possibly time for a move and a job change, in what is still, as far as I can tell, quite a tight job market? Personally when I start looking for a new job I always mess up the first job interview but after that I do OK. The world is a fascinating place. For some people, dancing can be amazing if there's a particular music and dance form you like. There's a serious shortage of charity volunteers just now, if you can find one you like.

To go back to your question, social skills training is something that SA people often ask for. I've probably asked for it myself. The conventional wisdom is that SA people are not usually lacking in social skills, they just think they are. Even so, it would be good if somebody offered some workshops, if only to prove that point so that people could move on. For a lot of SA people, SA meets and SA friends can be helpful; SA friends tend to be more accepting and they won't think it weird if you ask for feedback. I'm guessing from your posts that you're not a "life and soul of the party" person, but perhaps it's a matter of finding the right party.
Old 15th March 2023, 14:10

Mood
Breezy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Social-Skil...s%2C112&sr=8-3

This might be helpful
Old 16th March 2023, 11:54

It's not really possible to diagnose these things on an online forum, but what you describe is a common thing for SA people to say about themselves.