Old 2nd May 2021, 17:58
Co-Administrator

Mood
Nerdy

Default Re: Random Questions (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooky Monster
^ Could it just be a Tapatalk issue?
Sorry, I probably should have specified that the smiley issue is on my laptop (Windows/Chrome). I don't seem to have this issue on Tapatalk.
Old 7th May 2021, 06:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo34
^Yeah I actually found a suction cup type thing in my flat, as I've got an old temp curtain thing with suction cups so used one of them. Had to bail all the water out 1st *eyeroll*

But it did work! (Ta biscuits!) Im still having to use it (it's permantly stuck on the plug at the min) but will have to get a good old fasioned plug with a chain me thinks (as they should be! )
It worked! amazing!

[[[[£5 plz]]]]
Old 7th May 2021, 06:49
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

(you'll be lucky )
Old 12th May 2021, 12:46

Mood
Lucky

I got the bus a couple of times the other day and most people are still wearing masks but they are definitely much fuller than when I last went on one a few weeks ago.

Although it could be due to a different time of day etc.

How many cases are there in your area? What are the odds etc?
Old 12th May 2021, 13:09

^^ I don't use public transport, but I really wouldn't have a problem about my son using a train now that the number of cases in the UK have fallen so low. Admittedly he has already had his first vaccine but if he hadn't I'd still feel the same way. As long as your son wears a mask on the train and uses hand sanitiser then I think the risk is very low indeed, especially since he is young and had Covid last year didn't he?

Tbh, you will worry more about the fact that it's your son's first trip into town with his mates, but so long as they all stick together he will be safe, and have a great time. It's so nice for teenagers to start having that extra independence although not so nice for you of course x
Old 12th May 2021, 19:36
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

I've been on trains recently, they seemed quiet (in comparison to normal times) and everyone seemed to be obeying the rules.

Used a lot of buses in the last week or so as my car was in the garage, again the majority of ppl were obeying the rules and I've felt quite safe and relaxed using them. Only point I didn't was college kids getting on without masks (which I was a bit taken a back by) and sitting in whatever way they pleased.
Old 1st June 2021, 10:39

How do you build resilience?
Old 1st June 2021, 11:14

^
  • being able to forgive yourself
  • having a growth mindset
  • setting realistic and achievable goals
  • knowing the small steps that you need to take to reach the goals you want to achieve
  • being able to recognise what you have overcome and celebrating the little successes
  • recognising that making mistakes and slip ups are things to learn from and thinking about what you can do next time
  • being open to challenging negative views about yourself
  • looking at situations from different angles - seeing what went well
  • looking for the reasons why something went differently to how you had hoped it would (not automatically thinking there's something wrong with us - seeing it as something we struggle with and can get better with over time)
  • trying to challenge negative absolutes e.g. I will never be able to do this and reframing those thoughts to kinder ones e.g. "I'm finding this really difficult. I'm really trying and I wonder what support will help me, or who I can talk to about this..what I can do differently next time
  • Reaching out for help, seeing it as positive thing.
Old 2nd June 2021, 19:52

Mood
Alienated

What the tits do you put on a blister

(totally not related to the extra 40-50min of walking I have to do each day this week)

My last pair of very comfy shoes ended up splitting so I've got some crappy rock hard plastic things on as I wouldn't wear anything half decent to get covered in crap at work

Everyones taking the piss about lazy old me whos been walking to work (Even though including dog walking I doubt I do less than 15k steps a day even when I drive to work) so If I start turning up in my car now, they win unfortunately this big blob on my foot is slowing me right down, I need a quick fix!
Old 2nd June 2021, 20:42

Mood
Cynical

^ Is there such a thing as blister pads?
Old 2nd June 2021, 21:05
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

You can get blister plasters, think there quite pricey (relatively). Think I got mine from boots .
Old 2nd June 2021, 23:10

Mood
Alienated

Ta!

its about 20mm diameter and it stings like crap, I think my best bet is going to be double up on plasters for the time being then, I've had a scan on ye olde amazon and found moleskins? You aint wrong, pretty pricey for a small bit of fabric!
Old 3rd June 2021, 08:15

Wilkinson's do proper blister plasters and they're not too pricey. I've used the Compede ones (only because I couldn't find a cheaper one at the time and it was magic, worked so well!).

They have some in the pound shop but they don't look as good as the Wilkinson's ones and they have these too:
https://www.poundshop.com/elastoplas...r-20-pack.html

:O!
Old 3rd June 2021, 12:35
Co-Administrator

Mood
Nerdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic
What the tits do you put on a blister

(totally not related to the extra 40-50min of walking I have to do each day this week)

My last pair of very comfy shoes ended up splitting so I've got some crappy rock hard plastic things on as I wouldn't wear anything half decent to get covered in crap at work

Everyones taking the piss about lazy old me whos been walking to work (Even though including dog walking I doubt I do less than 15k steps a day even when I drive to work) so If I start turning up in my car now, they win unfortunately this big blob on my foot is slowing me right down, I need a quick fix!
This stuff is a godsend.

Old 3rd June 2021, 19:56

Mood
Alienated

^ Tubbs, as sensible as that looks, Biscuits has posted star wars plasters.

I mean, come on. R2-D2...Plasters!

the blob has grown to over an inch now, but I've got 1 more day of walking to do, I'll press on and hobble
Old 3rd June 2021, 21:31
Co-Administrator

Mood
Nerdy

^ ahahaha fair do's 😁
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic
the blob has grown to over an inch now, but I've got 1 more day of walking to do, I'll press on and hobble

Ouch! I hope you work sitting down?
Old 4th June 2021, 20:42

Mood
Alienated

^ I'm suppose to but we have 2 buildings at work and I probably walk between them 15-20 times a day. I've had plenty of days clocking up as 20k steps on my watch back when I used to wear it...so although I do..it seems not really

Come hell or high water I'll be driving to work next week, even if I have to take a 10 mile detour, I'm not bloody walking again

I have a new question.

I've started to eat again at work, I'm even having a break (about 3 minutes) but I'm wandering over to the greasy cafe across the road and paying £4 for a 60p sandwich. I need alternatives. I have lots of rice/pasta pots, I have loads of imported packets of noodles but they are all too hot for summer and do get a bit boring.

I'm too lazy to make my own lunch and we only get food delivery once a week (on a sunday) so buying any of these cold meal deals/pots or whatever doesnt really work as they go out of date by tuesday/wednesday (I'm also a complete salad dodger)

I'm back to looking at meal replacement/shakes. I don't really want the *weight loss* shakes but it seems thats all that exists, I don't want to lose weight, I just want to consume something without hassle! I bought Huel at some point last year but it was pretty miserable, and expensive! - maybe I bought a crap flavour or maybe I should have tried it with milk, its probably gone off now.

Does anyone here have protein/meal replacement shakes, can anyone recommend one that doesnt look/taste like your eating sawdust & water?
Old 5th June 2021, 10:49

^ I've never heard of meal replacement shakes before. The thought of replacing meals gives me the shakes though haha

Sorry - haven't got a scooby about the shakes, but I get how you feel. Making lunch for the next day is a pain! How about getting in some frozen things like sausage rolls, pasties, sausages, chicken strips/bread chicken bits, chicken drum sticks, sausages, falafel balls. Then you can slice them up to have in a sandwich, with dips, sliced up on a salad, in a wrap etc. Also cooking up some pasta and letting it go cold and having it with whatever you like is quite quick.

Meal replacement shakes sound kind of dangerous! Sorry to be a worrier!
Old 5th June 2021, 12:59

Mood
Alienated

Hmmm

The pasta thing might not be a bad idea, I do wonder how many weeks I'd manage before I just go back to not eating at all out of laziness.

I also like the idea of sausage rolls/pasties but I'd buy a pack of 6 and just..eat all 6 in 1 go

I think theres a lot of companies do it, but as I say they are meant as a weight loss plan because you make it up exactly as the bag describes so you know your only getting..380 calories in this "meal" so it's easy to keep tabs on your intake.

I don't need any of that, I'm actually at my correct weight for the first time in about 15 years, I shoot around enough at work that I think I'd struggle to put weight on at the moment! I just need quick and easy and something that doesnt taste like ass
Old 5th June 2021, 13:15

Mini frittatas are easy to make as well. You just need egg, milk, cheese and anything else (tomatoes, peppers, sausage, chorizo, sweet corn etc.) and you can make little ones in Yorkshire pudding trays, or make a bigger one for slices.

Good luck! I'm really bad too - I often just buy lunch on the day in summer!
Old 5th June 2021, 14:25

^^ I don't think Huel, Soylent etc. are supposed to go off, they are 'ambient' foods, they don't get any worse! I would check though. I was tempted to get some as a last resort food supply when I thought everything was going to collapse, but luckily it didn't, it seems like quite a miserable experience though.
Old 5th June 2021, 15:32

Mood
Cynical

You could try protein bars maybe? There seems to be lots of those around, or cereal/nut bars. Or you can get snack packs of nuts/dried fruit if you like that kind of thing.
Old 5th June 2021, 19:46

Mood
Alienated

I might dig out the Huel and try it with milk

When you make the original one with water its kinda like trying to drink some sort of lumpy batter

^ I hate nuts as much as I hate salad

Stick me on picky eaters!

Cereal bars not a bad idea though
Old 5th June 2021, 20:03

Mood
Cynical

^ Oh dear well I am very selective about the kind of salad I will eat, so I can't really talk!

Anything you can just pack in your bag and eat quickly would probably be good for you by the sound of it.
Old 17th June 2021, 23:49
Banned at own request

has this board always been this quiet? the social anxiety room topics have barely moved in the last 3 days?...

(probably longer actually)
Old 17th June 2021, 23:51

Mood
Cynical

^ There are quiet times every so often. I don't know where everyone's gone though!
Old 17th June 2021, 23:53

^^ That's what I've been thinking
Maybe everyone has melted away in the heat?
Old 18th June 2021, 09:04
Banned at own request

^/^^ I can understand quiet phases for an evening or day but it sometimes seems like nearly a week goes by before things get moving again.
it's the same 12 of us having conversations on here! it would be nice if we could get more people involved!
Old 18th June 2021, 11:57

Mood
Lucky

I have been checking the site still but hardly seen anything I can reply to. No one seems to start new threads either anymore. It does seem to go in waves though.
Old 18th June 2021, 12:54

Mood
Cynical

^^ It does seem like it. New people do come along and contribute which is always nice but it's been getting gradually quieter for some time.