SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 7th August 2006, 16:06

Mood
Brooding

Question How often should you go back to your doctor's?

Do you think three times is too much about the same thing? Or do you think seeing a different doctor might make a difference?

Old 7th August 2006, 19:40

Mood
Volatile

Default Re: How often should you go back to your doctor's?

What are you going back for? For something that is not well understood such as SA a second opinion is really important if you are not happy with the first consultation.

You have a right to be listened to and have your questions answered and concerns addressed. If you are thinking of going back this has probably not happened. Try going prepared with all your questions and everything you want to say. A good GP should discuss things with you until you are happy.
Old 8th August 2006, 17:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikNox
Do you think three times is too much about the same thing? Or do you think seeing a different doctor might make a difference?

Like has already been said, it depends on what you are going back for.

If you don't think you were listened to, understood or were treated in a slop-shod manner then maybe seeing another doctor at the same practice could be beneficial.

If you feel there is more your doctor could do for you then maybe going back and requesting these other things could be worthwhile.

If, on the other hand, your doctor has done all that can reasonably expected, I'd not go back unless, as Jack mentioned, something has changed.

MY GP has done all for me that can reasonably be expected. She's made the necessary referals, counselling etc, given me the meds I requested (after deeming them appropriate) and offered me the support I've needed. So, unless something changes dramatically I will not visit her unless she calls me in to review my meds.

So, whether or not you go back should depend on whether or not you feel your doctor has more to give than s/he has done already, or after there has been a significant change in your mental or physical wellbeing.
Old 8th August 2006, 17:25

It depends NikNox on your circumstances. Could you elaborate on the situation?
Old 9th August 2006, 11:35

Mood
Brooding

I've been to the doctor's once for medication (paroxetine) which I didn't like, and then a second time to ask to be referred to a counsellor, which I'm still waiting to see.

I've been outwardly happy and cheerful as much as I can, but inside I'm screaming out for help. The thing is I always feel guilty asking for help, as though it'd be some kind of burden and whenever I talk to people I can't help feeling a bit paranoid that they're thinking I'm nuts or wasting people's time. I know people are sympathetic but only up to a point...and if I keep seeing the doctor he'll think I'm wasting his time.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble..I'm off to do something productive so my boss doesn't see me wasting time!
Closed Thread