SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 10th August 2006, 13:37

Default Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)

Can anyone recommend a book I can buy about this subject.

Cheers

Pete
Old 10th August 2006, 14:31

Default Re: Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)

Hi Thanks for the info just ordered a copy.
Old 10th August 2006, 14:40

It depends on whether you are looking for a CBT self-help book or a CBT text book.

The one cj0hn0 mentioned seems to be the standard SA/CBT self-help book, even though I've only just bought it myself after all these years. :embarass:

Another useful book could be 'MIND OVER MOOD' A cognitive therapy manual for the client. By Dennis Greenberger and Christine A Padesky.

'THE FEELING GOOD HANDBOOK' by Dr David Burns also uses CBT techniques. (Plume)

Other books I have found useful despite not having the time to read them through as yet are...

'ANXIETY DISORDERS AND PHOBIAS, a cognitive perspective' by Aaron T Beck & Gary Emery. (Basic Books)

'COGNITIVE BEHAVIOURAL COUNSELLING IN ACTION' by Peter Trower, Andrew Casey & Windy Dryden. (Sage publications)

'COGNITIVE THERAPY OF ANXIETY DISORDERS, a practical manual and conceptual guide' by Adrian Wells. (Wiley)

I used the last three books when compiling my essays for a counselling diploma. Adrian Wells is also acknowledged in the Gillian Butler book mentioned by cj0hn0 for his work in treating SA.

I hope this is helpful.
Old 10th August 2006, 15:09

Hi Innerspace have you made progress with sa using the Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.
Old 10th August 2006, 16:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
Hi Innerspace have you made progress with sa using the Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.
Hi Peter,

I would have to say yes to that question.

I used to be an extremely negative thinker who saw the dark side of anything and everything. Reading through CBT stuff has helped me to see things in another way.

I recall a long time ago walking to the pub and feeling really anxious about it. I saw other people also going to the pub who appeared to have no anxiety around it at all.

I wondered about this, because it was the same pub and we were surrounded by the same people. Some people loved it, whilst I was anxious and very nervous before the alcohol kicked in. I figured that the only difference between those people and myself was in how we perceived the event. It was then that I realised that how we perceive things dictates how we feel then how we respond. It wasn't until a long time later that I heard of CBT, which of course deals with these perceptions, the thoughts around them and the behaviour we exhibit as a result.

I've never had one-on-one CBT, but just reading up on it and adopting some of its principles has helped me to make a lot of progress, particularly with my blushing; a problem which absolutely crippled me in the past.

CBT is no magic wand of course, but it is still thought to be the best therapy for emotional disorder and phobias. You do tend to get out what you put into it. Perseverence is the key.
Even without personal CBT therapy I have made big progress with it via books.
Old 10th August 2006, 20:36

Hi Thanks for the info innerspace
Closed Thread