SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 17th January 2021, 20:32

Default Anyone Tried Melatonin?

I am having trouble sleeping and have tried Zopiclone as well as some herbal options. Been looking and one of the only companies that seen to deliver to the UK is Piping Rock I am looking at these https://www.pipingrock.com/melatonin...?rwcode=HDB845 but not sure if I should order? Has anyone had any experience with Melatonin?

I have heard its quite effective for those with anxiety.
Old 18th January 2021, 00:12

Default Re: Anyone Tried Melatonin?

They're not supposed to by the way, it's meant to be a prescription only medicine in the UK.

But anyhow yes I've been on it for years, it works although you have to make sure you take it at the same time every night since it basically regulates your body clock. I take 4mg instant release but have taken up to 10mg before when I REALLY need to sleep if I have to be up for something in the morning.
Old 18th January 2021, 10:51

Mood
Lucky

I used to order it from iHerb but they've stopped delivering it to the UK.

Although, I did find this, which contains melatonin, and have ordered it:
https://www.iherb.com/pr/Jarrow-Form...gie-Caps/12064

To be honest, although I've tried it quite a few times in the past, I can't say it has a noticeable effect.

It's not as good as Boots Sleepeaze, that's for sure, and I don't find that very strong.

Melatonin is like most supplements, I think.

They have no noticeable effect but you hope they are doing something!

This podcast episode discusses it, looking at the studies etc and the recommended dose:
https://smartdrugsmarts.com/episodes...140-melatonin/
Old 18th January 2021, 13:13

^ It does have proven efficacy which is why doctors will prescribe it. But it isn't the strongest thing you can take I agree. I also take Sleapeze/Nytol (it's the same thing, same ingredient in both). I'd say the melatonin helps me get to sleep, Nytol helps me actually stay asleep. Sometimes I take promethazine instead which is the same class of drug as Nytol, but arguably stronger. You can get it over the counter in chemists sold under the brand name Phenergan, but I think you have to say you want it for allergies (it's a sedating antihistamine) because it's not licensed for sleep over the counter. Also promethazine is actually used for anxiety too by doctors whereas Nytol and melatonin isn't.

None of these things are as strong as valium or similar but valium soon loses its effect and is addictive.
Old 18th January 2021, 15:11

I didn't really get on with it myself, I found if anything it made me a feel a little wired , A long time ago I used to find Kratom quite helpful for sleep and anxiety , but I have a feeling its since been classified as a controlled substance.
Old 18th January 2021, 18:26

Mood
Mellow

Suffered from some bad insomnia last year, really bad.

Found that the herbal ones were pretty ineffective. The non-herbal stuff like Nytol worked for me at the start but then you get resistant to it....

I've got this exact brand and I can vouch for it. 12mg sounds a lot though, maybe buy something smaller first to see how you get on with it. For instance, I take 3mg.

I find the time you take it matters, for me if I took it late at night like a Nytol it had no effect. But taking it after food at dinnertime was quite effective.

Considering the cost of sleep tablets here, it's definitely a low-risk tablet worth getting.
Old 18th January 2021, 19:12

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimuk
I am having trouble sleeping and have tried Zopiclone as well as some herbal options. Been looking and one of the only companies that seen to deliver to the UK is Piping Rock I am looking at these https://www.pipingrock.com/melatonin...?rwcode=HDB845 but not sure if I should order? Has anyone had any experience with Melatonin?

I have heard its quite effective for those with anxiety.
Zoplicone is very addictive if used long term and should only be used for a short period. Only take for a very limited period, and in the lowest possible dose you need. Pretty sure youd need a prescription to get it legally too.
Old 18th January 2021, 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vado
A long time ago I used to find Kratom quite helpful for sleep and anxiety , but I have a feeling its since been classified as a controlled substance.
Yeah you can't get it legally anymore, not sure they classified it specifically but I think it probably fell under the blanket ban on psychoactive substances.
Old 20th January 2021, 17:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha
Yeah you can't get it legally anymore, not sure they classified it specifically but I think it probably fell under the blanket ban on psychoactive substances.
Shame , seems a little counterintuitive as it was relatively mild and often used as an effective treatment for drug withdrawals
Old 20th January 2021, 23:51

Thank you all. I understand its meant to be on presctription, I find the NHS has swung a little far the wrong way on sleeping tablets, I used to get Phenergan from the doctors and was not aware it was available over the counter but they wanted me to do a APP based CBT set of sessions instead. I am all for therapy, but they then refused to prescribe anything as in their mind CBT should have worked. It does and it doesnt, there are times when I need sleep, cant sleep and the negative effect of not getting the sleep is huge, more in my opinion than the percieved and real side effects of Phenergan. It is non addictive and used as and when is useful. I feel after years of over prescription they have swung to far against the prescribing of sleeping tablets.

Anyway thats my experience. I like to have some things on hand in those times when the anxiety it too much and I need to sleep. I will buy some melatonin to try and see if it helps, always good to have some variety in the approach in my opinion to ensure you dont get too used to using one specific type of sleep aid.
Old 21st January 2021, 12:44

^ Good luck it does help a bit for me as I said. I can't see why they won't prescribe you melatonin, it has one of the least amount of side effects of all drugs. Or promethazine/Phernegan, as you say it's non-addictive. Phenergan is more easily available without a prescription than melatonin though, just search online and some physical pharmacies will sell it too as I said for "allergies". Nytol is similar and easily available almost everywhere.

I find one of the best tactics with GPs is to throw the Nice guidelines at them and demand to know why they are deviating from it. However it doesn't seem that helpful in this case, unless you are over 55, in which case melatonin is mentioned.
https://cks.nice.org.uk/topics/insomnia/management/managing-long-term-insomnia-greater-3-months/
Old 21st January 2021, 22:41

Mood
Tired

Was prescribed it once to help me sleep but it gave me really bad restless legs