SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 10th September 2017, 00:35

Mood
Sad

Default Aggressive reaction from relatives

This has bothered me for a long time. My cousin's daughter keeps making mmmph and mmmph aggressive sounds towards me. What does this mean apart from being blatantly disrespectful. My sister-in-law also stares into space and only answers me whens she wants to. Hardly anyone in my family will speak to me even when I speak to them. Everyone is very off with me.
Old 10th September 2017, 05:33

Default Re: Aggressive reaction from relatives

^ I wouldn't bother with them. They are not close family and are clearly just rude.
Old 10th September 2017, 07:14
Banned at own request

Sorry to hear you are having family troubles Pinky. ***55358;***56599;. Is there anything that has happened recently or have they always been like this? Sending you hugs
Old 10th September 2017, 09:26

Mood
Tired

Is your sexuality an issue for them?
Some people can be very narrow-minded about these things

I was going to post a thread about this too,
My family have almost ostracized me it seems,
Have lost count of how many times they all meet in my absence
Old 11th September 2017, 05:07

Call them on it. When someone is like this with me I take great delight in making my displeasure known cos nothing gets my back up like rudeness (years of SA taking its toll) so I might ask "problems?" or say "yes? No? Don't care?" or just put it on them, the obnoxious little turds. "You're okay, yeah?" I might ask, subtly hinting they are anything but. Make 'em feel a little pain
Old 12th September 2017, 15:45

Mood
Sad

Thanks for all the lovely replies everyone. I've never been particularly close to my wider circle of family but we've been okay when we've seen each other at family occasions. I noticed that since I came out about five years ago many family members have become distant towards me and conversation has become strained. I went to a relative's funeral earlier this year and had a conversation with about three people. Most family members were speaking to each but I definitely felt that I was being deliberately ignored. When I've tried texting to meet up for a drink I've had no reply and some people have stopped sending me Christmas cards in the last two years. I've decided to start making some changes now where I will get on with my life and stop worrying about people who aren't worth my time. It's going to be hard and will take time but I think it's for the best in the long run.
Old 12th September 2017, 16:17

I think you have made a wise decision to stop worrying about people who aren't worth your time, especially if they are still hanging on to bigoted and outdated beliefs. Its so depressing that there are still so many intolerant people in the world. It's sad if certain family members can't be accepting of your choices but hopefully you have some good people in your life who are supportive and love you for you.

Take care Pink*Lady
Old 12th September 2017, 16:21

Mood
Tired

^^

that's sad, Pink*lady .. that family members seem to stick with outdated attitudes, even to their own kin,..

I was out at the weekend with some family members and was pointedly ignored and had a few disparaging comments made about me to my face,.. for making an innocuous comment that was clearly a joke, a joke that would have been laughed at if someone else said it.
there's just such a deeply ingrained mind-set with so many people of age-old myths and stereotypes about people.
people in my family circle who are married, have kids etc. are well respected,.. me,. I'm ignored basically.
thankfully there's still some decent understanding people out there who haven't bought into the usual prejudices and whatnot.