SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 11th September 2017, 13:13

Default I'm Chach and I have social anxiety.

Have you ever introduced yourself in that way? I certainly haven't. Yet, in a way, I'm doing it now with my new book.

When people see the book or accept a bookmark from me - the one that says, "Despite social anxiety that tagged itself on long ago..." - they react in some way. Reactions range from "What's that?" to "I'm a social worker and I meet lots of people who struggle with this." Both types might say, "But you go out, you dance." And I have to say, "We're all different. SA affects me when I talk, not when I dance."

Anyway, I'm finding this exposure interesting and wanted to tell you. I'm not saying you should all start telling the people you meet, but I'm finding it's not as scary as I expected. And this is just the beginning...
Old 11th September 2017, 16:26

Default Re: I'm Chach and I have social anxiety.

Well done and good luck with the book!
Old 12th September 2017, 08:57

Thank you, both. And thanks for the comment, John.
Old 12th September 2017, 10:38

I started reading this yesterday on my kindle.
Old 12th September 2017, 10:42
Banned at own request

^ Me too
Old 12th September 2017, 14:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chach
Have you ever introduced yourself in that way?
I keep wanting to get some t-shirts made up with little cartoons and jokey slogans that say stuff like "Not Aloof, Just Socially Anxious" or "Yes, But..." on the front and "...I'm Socially Awkward" on the back. Don't know why I want to do that; it just seems like a fun idea. I guess the notion of communicating passive-aggressively via t-shirt amuses me for some reason.
Old 24th September 2017, 12:20

Thank you, newbs16, Clementine and gregarious introvert!

Umm, I understand, I think. It's a way of revealing this big thing about yourself without have to tell it. Even easier than when I answer the question: What are your books about?

By the way, for anyone who's read the book, reviews are really important to get the book noticed. They don't have to be long - even a sentence is good. Just saying... thank you!
Old 25th September 2017, 16:49

Mood
Mellow

i want to buy the book, but i cant remember my damn amazon password. I will try later. Telephonobia is definitely real. Ive always hated the phone ringing. It makes me feel sick and i always imagine that something really awful has happened or im in trouble.

I do tell people i have SA if its appropriate. It doesnt bother me that people know becaus the alternative is hat people think im rude, unsociable or stuck up. Id rather they just thought that i suffer from anxiety and its nothing personal when i suddenly need to go home
Old 26th September 2017, 10:52

Laracroft1: I hope you solve the password problem and that you find the book useful.

And well done for speaking up about SA!
Old 27th September 2017, 19:46

Mood
Mellow

I bought the book! It came today. Its really easy to read, I love it. The 'Pet For Sale' piece really moved me. So horribly familiar! I`m so glad someone has written a book like this. I want children and adults in schools and in workplaces to be made aware of SA and other mental health issues. I want SA to be known to everyone! not just for the muggles, but for the sufferers as well. I didnt know I even had it until I was in my 40s! I just thought I was an oddball. Im really glad you wrote this book. xxxx
Old 27th September 2017, 22:30

Mood
Mellow

Brilliant

I've added the book to my Amazon wish list, only because I purchase a book today that I'm going to read first. I've searched amazon a few times for social anxiety books but they are always so expensive! Looking forward to reading it
Old 4th October 2017, 18:04

Thank you, Laracroft1! I'm so glad you liked the book. I'm really hoping more people get to understand about SA through the book. One thing that helps to get the word out is having lots of reviews on Amazon. They don't have to be under your real name...

sillypenguin, I hope you get the book and read it. It's not expensive
Old 13th October 2017, 14:55

I bought your book and am half way through. Its really good and easy to read and is helping me come to terms with my social anxiety which I have only recently found out I had due to years and years of just assuming I was a odd weirdo! I will defo put a good review on amazon when finished. Ive just started the chapter about phones! Oh boy, I can relate to that!!!
Old 15th October 2017, 17:38

That's fantastic, lynella. Thank you!

For anyone who might be in Eastbourne on Saturday, 11th November: I'm going to take part in the Eastbourne Book Fair from 2:00 to 6:00 on that day. There will be chats signings and readings. And it's free! All information is on the Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/780952405422566/
or just search for the Eastbourne book fair. Hope to see you there. There's no compulsion to identify yourself or talk to me at all.
Old 23rd October 2017, 22:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chach
That's fantastic, lynella. Thank you!

For anyone who might be in Eastbourne on Saturday, 11th November: I'm going to take part in the Eastbourne Book Fair from 2:00 to 6:00 on that day. There will be chats signings and readings. And it's free! All information is on the Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/780952405422566/
or just search for the Eastbourne book fair. Hope to see you there. There's no compulsion to identify yourself or talk to me at all.
Your welcome. Im afraid I am a little to far away for that. Will you ever have signings/readings in West Yorkshire at all in the near future?
Old 24th October 2017, 16:58

There's nothing else planned, but you never know!
Old 6th November 2017, 16:19

vaxjo: Everyone has to make their own decision. I didn't tell anyone for several years and eventually decided I would. It worked for me, but that doesn't mean it would work for you. Wishing you lots of luck and success in life.