SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 23rd August 2017, 11:37

Default Re: Do you look your age?

People always used to presume I was younger. That was probably partly due to my slight build. I think the way you dress and general demeanor influence perception of age too. Definitely look my age now (mid 40's). Not that I mind though, I'm fascinated by the onset of greying hair
Old 24th August 2017, 20:37

No, I definitely don't pass for 29, I have a babyish face.
Old 11th November 2017, 01:08

Until a few years ago, I looked young for my age. Now I think it's starting to catch up with me. I'm just waiting for the full Dorian Gray moment. My last boss couldn't believe it when he saw my passport. He thought I was about 6-10 years younger. And I got IDed by a younger guy in Tesco a year or two ago who told me I had a funny story to tell my husband. No, my youthful look matches my lack of progress in life. I wonder if it's body language as well as face. My hair has definitely aged.

I'm sure I look middle-aged to young people though. They look young to me. I don't feel like I am like them or the middle aged people. It's confusing. I feel about 30, 35 except when I'm with my Dad when I feel about 22.
Old 11th November 2017, 07:44
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirgirl
...my youthful look matches my lack of progress in life.
That***8217;s exactly how I see it too. People say ***8216;Oh you***8217;re so lucky! What***8217;s your secret?***8217; I say it***8217;s a lack of living. You try spending the majority of your life hiding indoors because you***8217;re terrified of the world and being a part of it and you***8217;d probably look younger too. I***8217;d not recommend it to anyone though.
Old 11th November 2017, 13:08

Mood
Chatty

I think I look around 10 years older than I am.
Drinking, smoking, lack of sleep for years etc.
Old 14th November 2017, 08:39

Mood
Fine

I've always looked young as an adult, but I think it's catching up with me now.
Old 14th November 2017, 20:56

Mood
Melancholy

A relative I'd never met before, visited last year and was shocked when she found out how old I was - she thought I was 15 years younger! Until I was about 28 people thought I was 16 or 17. It could just be that many people my age look older than their years as opposed to me looking very young though.

I don't wear much make up, my hair is in a simple style, and my demeanour is one of reticence and shyness so that could also be why I seem to be younger. The more glamorous and "done" a woman looks, the older she appears to be, especially if she's confident and has good social skills. A lot of women in their early 20s I see, look like well preserved 40 year olds.

I also agree with others regarding experience; if you've lived a full life, it usually shows in your face particularly if you've smoked, drank and sun bathed.
Old 14th November 2017, 22:20

I'll be 25 on Saturday. I was surprised to find out that the people on my course thought I was around 18. No wonder I got funny looks when I said I have a four year old.
Old 15th November 2017, 15:43

I'm 29, but most people think I'm nowhere near it. On a recent course I did, I was mostly hanging with 21-25 year olds and the majority of them thought I was younger than them. Been a similar story at jobs too.

I do have a stray grey hair or ten appearing on the sides which is probably a sign that my youthful appearance is about to finish.
Old 15th November 2017, 17:27

Aw, thanks guys. I'm not looking forward to it.
Old 16th November 2017, 18:28

I'm in my early 40s but could probably pass for 10 years younger. Starting to get some grey hairs now though, though I am at least keeping my hair so far!

I agree with what Clem wrote; hiding indoors for years and not smiling as much as you ought to be (laughter lines) means you probably don't age as fast as you would.
Old 18th November 2017, 12:14
Banned at own request

Mood
Doh

I look at least 15 years younger than my age.
And age means that I am finally getting rid of my hamster cheeks so that I no longer look like Tom Chaplin from Keane circa 2004. (neither does Tom Chaplin as his face seems to have done the same thing).
Small mercies eh!
Old 18th December 2017, 01:07

Mood
Mellow

I'm 30 and look about 25, so just old/young enough to sometimes get away without getting ID'd by the 'challenge 25' cashiers
Old 18th December 2017, 09:25

Mood
Alienated

I'm not getting ID'ed anymore
Old 18th December 2017, 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinny
no, I look about 65
65?! What sort of mirror are you looking in!
I think you look lovely and much younger than your years not that you are old anyway!

As a teenager I looked like a child, and as a 20 something I looked like a teenager. Then as a 30 something I looked like a 20 something.
Then I had a child and I aged by about 20 years I noticed people no longer told me how I looked young for my age. I think I had just started to look knackered.

When I hit 40 everything started battling gravity and gravity won

However, when I went out with my neighbors recently, some of whom were about my age, they genuinely seemed shocked when I told them how old I was because they’d assumed I was younger. However, as Danica says, I do think this perception of me being younger than I am is down to my shy demeanour and quiet child like voice unfortunately rather than having a youthful looking appearance
Old 18th December 2017, 15:20

Yeah probably
Old 18th December 2017, 18:41

Mood
Blah

A couple of times this year I've been mistaken for someone in their twenties which is a nice feeling. Intending to milk it for all its worth while I still can.
Old 31st December 2017, 12:46

Mood
Balanced

A lot of people have told me that I looked younger than my age, but never gave me any indication of how old they thought I am.

Last time when somebody was surprised to hear my age(I'd just turned 31) I asked them what age they'd have guessed I am. They said 23. Like other posters have said, I think it's more to do with having a youthful demeanour than a youthful face though.
Old 21st February 2018, 17:03

Apparently not.
Old 22nd February 2018, 01:50

Well I***8217;m not as good looking as I was in my 20***8217;s. I really was in my prime back then. God I was a Stallion! But now Damn you father time! Although at least I can take comfort in knowing that I am not alone in feeling this way and that my fellow 30+ members are also starting to resemble the actors from the film Cocoon. I also think we should embrace our age and not give in to society***8217;s obsession with looking youthful. So I say throw away your hair dye and let your untrimmed nostril hairs flare with delight!
Old 22nd February 2018, 03:45
Banned at own request

I think perhaps I do now, each bath I have leaves a fur-ball at the plug and what i see in the mirror each day looks more and more like my dad. I dont really mind but yeah, I see time passing very clearly. I actually prefer me old/aged/hairy. Youthful me looks strangely chubby faced and wrongly cherub like.
Old 22nd February 2018, 15:09

Mood
Balanced

I think you could knock a few years off...the hair dye helps.
Old 25th February 2018, 08:45

It depends how closely you look at me. From across the room I probably look a little bit younger, but up real close I probably look a little older than my age.
Old 26th February 2018, 16:50

Mood
Nerdy

Old 27th February 2018, 12:51

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbs
Yes. I look old and tired.

I've never forgotten the time in Sainsburys when I was minding my own business, packing my groceries and the checkout girl suddenly went "You look knackered!" - I mean, wtf I just laughed it off, but I couldn't stop thinking about it for ages - the thing was, I wasn't even feeling particularly tired at the time. The only conclusion I've been able to draw from this is that 'knackered' is just my general ambience.

i just hoped i could open your mind up to another possibility that maybe the checkout girl was just talking shit? ive worked checkouts and suffered a fair few out of body experiences as i watch myself say the most unbelievably stupid things to people, through a mixture of being catastrophically unsuitable for the job and also transcendentally bored.

i can kind of laugh now as i think back on how i would sometimes find myself making fun of someone's groceries in bizarre and highly detailed ways, yknow, to their face, as they were buying them from me
Old 27th February 2018, 14:18

Mood
Nerdy

Old 27th February 2018, 16:09

In selfies I look like I've just stepped out a fountain of youth. Lolita eat your heart out. In real life shots, like a middle aged rat bag. It's hard not put ones entire modelling collection online or the wolves decend to cry catfish. Hard times. Yeah I look about my age- give or take a couple of years, either side, depending on the filter. Seriously though, those unexpected family shots can be quite ego crushing. I always knew my family didn't like me.
Old 27th February 2018, 21:53

I look a lot like I remember my mum looking when I was growing up. Which is not surprising I guess. I suppose that thing of women turning into their mothers is true in my case. But the body language does take a few years off.
Old 28th February 2018, 06:10

Mood
Relaxed

I've noticed over the last month or so, that I'm starting to get that older person skin, where it goes leather like with wrinkles, only just starting out, but clearly visible.
Old 28th February 2018, 18:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinny
^yeah, old skin is weird. I hit 40 & went from being smooth to suddenly having all these lines running down my chest (or décolletage as the French say) like a raggedy old sun worshiper, even though I've never sunbathed much)
I used to have those, but they went away when I lost weight.

I have grey hair, which I don't dye anymore, and I think that people I know probably think I have aged a lot in the last couple of years. I don't mind that though. My theory is that it is better to look younger close up than people may expect given the grey hair. Don't know if I do, but maybe.