SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 31st March 2018, 01:17

Default Re: Type what you're thinking about right now (11)

^^
Old 31st March 2018, 01:29

^^^
Old 31st March 2018, 01:30
Banned at own request

^^^ It includes maplin online and the free delivery for plenty of stuff. Its in administration so maplin doesnt really exist any more, just stock and a firm trying to shift it asap.

They dont show the discounts just the new price but the waybackmachine can help or just compare with ebay/amazon. Or just know what it cost originally but it seems the discount is applied dependent on shifting stock in time for the collapse and therefore the quantity of stock to shift so stuff they have large socks of is very cheap indeed.

IE, cables, connectors and common/small stuff. Drones, toys and the modern crap they got into will sell regardless but reels of 5 core or a 1/8iinch stereo to 1/4th inch right angle jack adapters wont they have bins full of those and they need them gone by yesterday.

You can select to order by discount on the site, which is nice

Maplin filled the void that tandy/radioshack left in my life, I am genuinely very sad but given the direction they headed in (grow big fast by selling the same old crap as everybody else and forgetting the niche) I wasnt actually surprised.
Old 31st March 2018, 01:32

Mood
Sneaky

im on maplin scavenging cables like some kind of connectivity vulture

Old 31st March 2018, 01:36
Banned at own request

Seems like many geeks here at the moment, an example, which isnt in stock in my local maplin.

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/makerbuin...-console-a94zy

Like hell I am gonna go into central harrow just to get my geek on. No postage, no deal. Anyway, there are bargain in there its about half the best other price I could find.
Old 31st March 2018, 01:36

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by flumpsy
^^^ It includes maplin online and the free delivery for plenty of stuff. Its in administration so maplin doesnt really exist any more, just stock and a firm trying to shift it asap.

They dont show the discounts just the new price but the waybackmachine can help or just compare with ebay/amazon. Or just know what it cost originally but it seems the discount is applied dependent on shifting stock in time for the collapse and therefore the quantity of stock to shift so stuff they have large socks of is very cheap indeed.

IE, cables, connectors and common/small stuff. Drones, toys and the modern crap they got into will sell regardless but reels of 5 core or a 1/8iinch stereo to 1/4th inch right angle jack adapters wont they have bins full of those and they need them gone by yesterday.

You can select to order by discount on the site, which is nice

Maplin filled the void that tandy/radioshack left in my life, I am genuinely very sad but given the direction they headed in (grow big fast by selling the same old crap as everybody else and forgetting the niche) I wasnt actually surprised.

im sad too bro, got some real nerdy kit from there

ive actually capitalised on their clearance shit on there before, when i decided to sort out all my hdmi options (xbox one and 360 and a pc all going through one telly), hdmi cables can be pricey but i got them as clearance items for pennies

anyway time to cheer myself by having my way with maplins cadaver before it gets too cold ;_;

*suddenly overcome by emotion* I ALWAYS LIKED FEELING SUPERIOR TO THE NERDY AND SOCIALLY AWKWARD STAFF IN MAPLINS AS IF I WAS A BENEVOLENT GRANDPARENT INDULGING THEIR CLUMSY ATTEMPTS TO FUNCTION IN A RETAIL ROLE

GONE LIKE BROWSER DATA WHEN YOU CLOSE THE INCOGNITO WINDOW
Old 31st March 2018, 01:42
Banned at own request

^ I was in my local one so often they offered me a job, years back. So I switched to another branch to avoid thinking about it !!

Back in the day they used to know their stuff, more recently the only way to find out actual details was to go straight to the geek in the parts desk and wait for his crisp laden uncool beard face to come out from the store room looking at his shoes and mumbling.

Although they still did all the stuff it clearly went a bit commercial and expanded too fast about 10 years ago or something, it was obviously going to happen, I think it was around the time they brought in disco gear that wasnt in kit form. Oh god, velleman, whats going to happen to them ? Its always the children who suffer !!!!
Old 31st March 2018, 01:53

Mood
Sneaky

ok this is now the official nerding out thread at least until i sober up

duuuuuuuuuuuude theres a guy that does repairs at the local guitar store, i was trying to diagnose a problem with my amplifier to see if i could sort it myself (im by no means techy but ive started trying to have a go)

after some toing and froing (i like those better without hyphens) we figured out it was a problem with the speaker. the day i went in to pick up a replacement, to solder in myself, he was there and i was asking him about some other stuff. he was younger than me, had really bad BO, questionable hygiene, and, poor fella, serious eczema, and i felt all proud that this thoroughbred boffin and weirdo with visually evident health concerns had found a niche as an electro whizz. because he was so forthcoming with info on my amp i started discussing another amp of mine that has a rather odd and hard to replace speaker, a single 12 inch speaker that is meant to handle 160W! AND AS IT HAPPENED THIS SPLENDID NERD HAD THE SAME AMP! lol he was telling me about the various speakers he's tried in it throughout the years and how he would sell me one if i liked...he had some preposterously powerful P.A. speaker in it at one point, and we were debating the relative merits of this versus a standard guitar speaker which would attenuate all the fizz above around 4k

yknow what man amma stfu im pretty drunk

i'm gonna go order a bunch of 3.5mm jack to jacks, i can never find one when i need one
Old 31st March 2018, 02:04

Believing that music reflects our society and culture I feel lo-fi will die or become less popular like dubstep and it's dial up sounds has. It would probably evolve as the roughness of the sound kind of makes it sound more realistic compared to some squeaky clean EDM sounds but it is music that partly reflects how nostalgic people feel now.
Old 31st March 2018, 02:04
Banned at own request

^^ The angled jacks are particularly cheap, I got lots of those LOL

As one myself I tend to use the word geek. Nerds will tell you how a fictional star trek device is meant to work. He will also tell you which episodes it was used in and by which characters. A geek will tell you why it wont actually work but will build you the non functioning version to take home and explain which real scientist they named it after and why

By the way, its not us that are drunk, its the internet thats sober.

Geeks can easily be drawn out of their shells using the lure of solving a problem but then they may spend days at home regretting it. Worrying that you may come back tomorrow and want to swap phone numbers and do a fondue night. Or that may just be me.
Old 31st March 2018, 02:12

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
^^ The angled jacks are particularly cheap, I got lots of those LOL

As one myself I tend to use the word geek. Nerds will tell you how a fictional star trek device is meant to work. He will also tell you which episodes it was used in and by which characters. A geek will tell you why it wont actually work but will build you the non functioning version to take home and explain which real scientist they named it after and why

By the way, its not us that are drunk, its the internet thats sober.

Geeks can easily be drawn out of their shells using the lure of solving a problem but then they may spend days at home regretting it. Worrying that you may come back tomorrow and want to swap phone numbers and do a fondue night. Or that may just be me.

im gonna go for a decidedly non-geek pick and collect option on my jacks, jack

i dunno which i am, some kind of hack with delusions of geeky grandeur praps

what are you nondrunk on tonight? im being spiritual tonight cos beer is too much calories :|
Old 31st March 2018, 02:13

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutedsoul
Believing that music reflects our society and culture I feel lo-fi will die or become less popular like dubstep and it's dial up sounds has. It would probably evolve as the roughness of the sound kind of makes it sound more realistic compared to some squeaky clean EDM sounds but it is music that partly reflects how nostalgic people feel now.

it shocks me that people still talk about lofi. lofi first came to my attention in the mid 90s
Old 31st March 2018, 02:21

Mood
Sneaky

contemplating choosing "dr" as my title for my maplin order, see if they treat me different, ask me for advice or something. "oh goodness no i'm a medical dr! i have no idea whats going on in your nested loops, but by all means, try to get some more sunlight"
Old 31st March 2018, 02:26
Banned at own request

^ Dork perhaps ? Nah, doest seem to fit.

The dork knows about all these things but with little depth. The main feature of a dork is the lack of social ability and with huge general awkwardness. Its more that normal stuff is removed leaving standard ability to talk about sci-fi, reinsall a printer or go into a tandy store to buy a PP3. I did a chart to post here once, I actually did. I did a venn diagram to explain it all..... And thus proving I am a geek LOL

It is possible to be a specific geek or nerd. Like a music geek, or car nerd or something. Only showing tendencies in specific fields. Perhaps you have specific geekiness ?

I cant really drink beer any more so I am definitely not drunk at all on red wine. When I decide not to get drunk I do it by not drinking red wine, or sometimes by not drinking awful nasty cider, because it most reminds me of beer.
Old 31st March 2018, 02:28
Banned at own request

^^ perhaps in the good old days but this isnt actually maplins anymore. These folks have just got stock to shift, they are the delboys of this world. The arthur daleys if you will (and also if you wont)
Old 31st March 2018, 02:38

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
^^ perhaps in the good old days but this isnt actually maplins anymore. These folks have just got stock to shift, they are the delboys of this world. The arthur daleys if you will (and also if you wont)

i collected my previous pick and collect order from the components counter, and got served by, of all things, A GIRL. her near-transparent pallour (think baking sheet rather than cling film) convinced me that she was in fact a basement dweller who probably had a few solder burns on her finger tips. visiting maplin, i enjoyed this weird brush with what i will refer to as boffindom. i also wondered what kind of reclusive and feverish fantasies the male nerds of the store had been cooking up about this weird electronics unicorn female, probably something to do with looking through her hand at a blue LED lit up on the other side, and maybe also something to do with a VR carol vorderman and their counsellor
Old 31st March 2018, 02:45
Banned at own request

^ Ah, the boffin, I need to update my venn diagram !!! I guess a true expert in one or multiple fields but not required to have any of the negative aspects of the other groups.

I hope nobody is offended by these terms I have clearly been called every one through the years, all of which were insulting back then. I am not sure they are now, we have geek-chique and nerd-wear is an actual thing.

Yeah so due to the nature of me as a member of this forum I can only collect from certain stores, my closest is a no go as its hardcore shopping centre "hang out in mcdonalds" territory. There is an out of town one that I can do easily but they dont have my stuff in stock because it seems everybody flocked there once the sale started

Is that the correct term ? A flock of nerds ?
Old 31st March 2018, 15:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Hodge
it shocks me that people still talk about lofi. lofi first came to my attention in the mid 90s
Yeah, it even existed before that since it's kinda defined by low definition sounds. When something is imperfect it feels more human, more physical I guess. People are nostalgic nowadays.
Old 31st March 2018, 20:40

The guy on the voice reminds me of miggs.
Old 31st March 2018, 21:41

Mood
Shoveit

^ poor bloke! What guys this?
Old 31st March 2018, 21:49

^ Will.I.Am
Old 31st March 2018, 21:56

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutedsoul
Yeah, it even existed before that since it's kinda defined by low definition sounds. When something is imperfect it feels more human, more physical I guess. People are nostalgic nowadays.
i dont think people really talked about lo-fi until the 90s tho. technically the very first recordings ever made would have been extremely lo-fi. i remember hearing a recording of queen victorias voice made in 1888 on some kind of wax cylinder, and also literal real acoustic recordings of claude debussy, made in the early 1900s. lo-fi to the max!

heres debussy laying down some phat jams

Old 1st April 2018, 00:04

I don't understand the proper etiquette with acknowledging people in the street. Where I live now's more villagey, and people I pass in the street seem friendlier, probably free of the fear that they might get stabbed or have syringes chucked at them like they're in the arcade game NARC.

Seemingly at random someone will give me an 'Alright, mate' or a 'Hullo', and it freaks me out that I never know when it's going to happen. Should I make eye contact with everyone I pass in the street on the off chance they're in a friendly mood? What if, by not ignoring them, I'm making them feel uncomfortable, when they'd rather be left alone? Should I blank everyone? My tactic so far has been to mostly stare at the pavement, while maybe proffering a polite smile with a glance, but I tend to pass people wondering what the bloody hell I must have looked like, because to this day I haven't been able to practise a smile in the mirror that didn't look bizarre. Am I doing demented Rik Mayall faces at people? Do people see this weird little man approaching them in the street, who suddenly goes

before shuffling along? I don't understand how everyone in the world isn't having perpetual neurotic meltdowns over things like this.
Old 1st April 2018, 02:09
Banned at own request

^^ move to harrow. the rules are simple. If you want to get stabbed then look at or near people. if you dont then look at or around your shoes. If you are really feeling confident and wanting to show people that you are open to chat then look at their shoes and see if you get bled real slow or not.
Old 1st April 2018, 08:59

I hope traffic around Stonehenge is clear today ,wishful thinking on Easter Sunday. =\
Old 1st April 2018, 10:57

Happy Easter everyone! This is a day that I can connect with. What with the symbolism of Easter and what it represents. You could say it’s a message of hope and everlasting chocolate. I’m sorry. I mean it’s a time for chocolate. Ok, let me get serious for a second. Easter is a time for us to reflect on chocolate.

I would have continued with that paragraph, but I seem to be stuck in a loop. So hopefully I will have better luck with this paragraph. Easter is a time for reflection. I think it was the Reverend Cadbury who said......

I really need to focus right now and I can’t let my fixation on chocolate get the better of me! After all, this is a symbolic day! Here we go! I can do this........

Old 1st April 2018, 11:36

I need to just chill
Old 1st April 2018, 11:55

Finding a movie online about love and barriers. Human connection and intimacy have been in the back of my mind recently.
Old 1st April 2018, 13:22

Can I fit all of my stuff in the back of a Corsa?
Old 1st April 2018, 13:28
Global Moderator

Mood
Amused

I'm running out of time......again