SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 16th January 2020, 23:30
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Haven't gone out much

In the last 6 months or so apart from seeing the doctor(my stepdaughter or a granddaughter comes with me) putting the rubbish out and grocery shopping I've hardly been out at all .

Quite a lot of that is because I'm limited where I can go due a poor sense of direction which triggers mild agoraphobia .

I would invariably go into a cafe and have a cooked breakfast thus taking in x10 or more calories than I'd used up in the 5 minute walk to get there .
Old 17th January 2020, 00:07

Default Re: Haven't gone out much

Garmin eTrex H

Get one on ebay for £30. I've recommended this to you before and you said you'd have trouble functioning it, but it really is simple to use - get someone to set your home as the destination and every time you turn it on it'll direct you back.
Old 17th January 2020, 09:42
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

The acceptance of different aptitudes .

Something that’s easy for me might not be easy for you , and something that’s easy for you might not be easy for me.
Old 17th January 2020, 11:25

Mood
Cynical

Is there anywhere very close to you that you would feel comfortable walking to? A small park or spot next to a river or something?

Or could you go to a local shop just for something small like a newspaper? I do that just to get myself out for a short time, I also like to do the crossword.
As MidlifeBookworm says you could perhaps go to a cafe for something smaller, like a sandwich or a cup of tea?
Old 17th January 2020, 11:51
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

I'm above a rather posh cafe. I've been too nervous to go to the posh cafe . There's a brook near it . I can see the brook from out of my window . There are railings between the cafe and the grass near the brook . I've not worked out how to get onto the grassy area . I'm not even sure there's any benches there .
Old 17th January 2020, 17:31
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlife Bookworm
Yes, I live in an area which has a poor neighborhood on one side and a gentrified one on the other. In the gentrified one there are a few places which are either too posh or too full of cool people and I wouldn't be comfy going in either. I don't exactly fit in to my main cafe either though, I'm a middle-aged man and it's mostly young freelancers with their laptops or mums with children in prams, but the staff are always polite and I don't feel too out of place. It's really just the issue of having the motivation to go and just have a coffee and not fall to the temptation of a cooked breakfast, especially as I am diabetic and need to be watching carbs. Are there any other cafes nearby you could try instead?
In the shopping parade where the cafe I use is there is a Costa. I've never been in there .
In terms of places to get to there's what looks like another rather upmarket cafe, and one that would require a slight deviation from my normal route to get to,

The latter one is rated 7th best out of 7 for cafes in the town and 14th out of 16 for restaurants by Trip advisor.
Old 17th January 2020, 18:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemonkey
The acceptance of different aptitudes .

Something that’s easy for me might not be easy for you , and something that’s easy for you might not be easy for me.
I agree.. acceptance of differences.. can be a beautiful thing.
Old 17th January 2020, 20:55

I had already suggested a possible trip to a cafe for a drink but deleted it. As I had said, I thought I was missing something. I now understand more, I think.
Old 17th January 2020, 23:29

Mood
Cynical

Costa is quite nice, you could probably look at the menu online and see if there's anything you'd like.
Old 18th January 2020, 00:59
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Costa is OK, but often it looks too crowded . The menu looks quite good , but I'm not sure all of it would be available in this small town .

It's rated 3/5 and 5th out of 5 for quick bites .
Old 18th January 2020, 11:01

Mood
Cynical

Yes, I guess it might depend on when you went as it can get busy as it's a popular place. You could try walking there, having a look to see how busy it is and then decide on whether or not you'll go in (or just walk past on a few different days to see how busy it generally looks, unless doing that type of thing makes you feel self conscious ofcourse!)

3/5 is not great. Although I have to say at Christmas time Costa do these little slices of vegan Christmas cake which I think are really nice, so not all ther stuff must be bad.
Old 18th January 2020, 11:18

You should always be suspicious of TripAdvisor ratings, or at least look at any patterns in the low rated reviews before letting the overall rating influence your decision. You often see reviews on there where, reading between the lines, you can tell that a customer was clearly in the wrong, shouldn't be taken seriously, or they gave a bad rating based on a minor one-off thing. Most places are generally okay at best.
Old 18th January 2020, 15:38
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella

3/5 is not great. Although I have to say at Christmas time Costa do these little slices of vegan Christmas cake which I think are really nice, so not all ther stuff must be bad.
That was the local Costa .
Old 28th January 2020, 10:04
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

I did do a gardening group via my then mental health centre about a decade ago. I was the water carrier and occasional digger of soil because I was no good at anything else.
I certainly couldn't cope with an allotment on my own .

I've done very little photography . That mainly because I take crap photos .

Those are generally good suggestions . However specifically for me they're not so good .

I'm struggling to think of something for someone with poor manual, navigational and practical skills .
Old 28th January 2020, 14:46
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

If I was sure it wouldn't be a case of walk to x with a group and then make your own way home joining a walking group would be a future option .

I say future option because even walking short distances my lower back is playing up .
Old 29th January 2020, 18:52

Mood
Fine

Quote:
If I was sure it wouldn't be a case of walk to x with a group and then make your own way home joining a walking group would be a future option .

I say future option because even walking short distances my lower back is playing up .
Id agree with what Freyja has said, in that trying to get out every day is important for our health. Both Physical and mental really

Doing a bit of walking can often be good for back issues (although it depends on the specific problem of course). Just try to do a bit of walking every day and gradually increase it. You may be surprised how much you'll manage, eventually, Firemonkey

RE Rambling Groups : almost everywhere in the Uk has these. Generally everyone meets up at a Central point and either car/shares or travels by Hire Coach to get to the walk start. And its the same arrangement coming back. Could be something to aim for in the future perhaps?
Old 24th February 2020, 20:12

Quote:
Costa is OK, but often it looks too crowded . The menu looks quite good , but I'm not sure all of it would be available in this small town .
I've 'braved' the Costa in my nearest town. The ordinary coffee (Special Filter) comes in three sizes. The largest size comes in a double handled cup, and requires muscles to lift, and all the cups sit off centre on their saucers, because it is 2020. I've learnt to go for the smallest size.

it's near the Vintage Emporium, where I go, to check out the vinyl records.