SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 25th May 2014, 19:33

Default Silly things you've done while anxious but laughed about after.

So yer basically im sure we've all done silly things due to anxiety and i know at least for me i can usually laugh about them later on, not everything but usually the odder things or things that don't seem that big afterwards. I was hoping it might be helpful to show how we all do daft things and that they don't matter as much as we might think plus hopefully we can all have a laugh at stuff we can relate to, this thread will probably go down like a lead balloon but thought id give it a go.

I'll go first obviously.. .

On my first day of college I had to use the train by myself for the first time in my life ever, anyway I queued for the ticket machine and could feel my anxiety rising the person behind was closer than id of liked and some teenagers were leaning against the machine. Finally its my turn to order my ticket except in a panic I put the money in before choosing my ticket so it kept spitting it out and im wondering wtf is wrong but just kept putting the £10 note in the machine, im getting really embarrassed thinking how stupid I look and then one of the teenagers says "you need to choose a ticket first." . I ordered my ticket and walked off as fast as i could with a bright red face, after that i never screwed up ordering my ticket again .

Another silly thing I did was when I was in college i needed root canal surgery, the name alone scared the hell out of me and im not usually bothered about dentists. I get called into the room and my whole body is shaking from being so nervous, im feeling really self conscious about shaking and think how pathetic the woman must think I am, she gives me some anesthetic in the roof of my mouth which hurts a bit. To my amazement she did'nt hurt me once even though she was scraping nerves out of my gum (eww) but i still wanted to get out of there asap after that embarrassing shaking, anyway she finishes and says I can sit up and rinse. Well i sit up take a big swig and totally forget half of my mouth is completely numb, it swirls straight from one side of my mouth out all over my lap . Good job there wasn't any young scared kids outside, they might of thought it was so scary id wet myself .
Old 25th May 2014, 21:35
Banned

Mood
Scared

Default Re: Silly things you've done while anxious but laughed about after.

Where do I start?!!
Old 25th May 2014, 22:02
Banned

Mood
Scared

First time I went Salsa dancing a year ago.
It was hurrendous for the most part, I couldn't grasp the basic steps because my head was everywhere. We started on some advanced moves and in a typical Salas class you have to dance with every female in the room, if your male. Talk about awkward, jesus. There was girl in a figure hugging red dress, slim, petite but very sexy. Every time she came around to dance with me i'd get a panic attack. When my SA flairs up I get all clumsy. We had to do this move where I span her to my left, then spin her across my body and catch her to my right. I ended up missing her hand and throwing her across the room. She literally flew!

She did see the funny side it..thank god. SA pfft.
Old 26th May 2014, 09:05

^ Sounds like fun and im sure it was funny to watch, typical it had to be while dancing with her eh on the plus side i guess you had your own personal joke between you afterwards. I've got a lot of respect for you doing something like that while having sa, id be way too self conscious maybe it could be a future goal.
Old 26th May 2014, 11:15
Banned

Mood
Scared

^ Thanks matey. It wasn't fun, I was painfully self conscious. It was overwhelming and I wasn't ready. But hey, you try these things to gage where your at. I'm going this week. My aim is to go twice next week and from thereon in. Completely out of my comfort zone but it has to be done if I want my comfort zone expanding.
Old 26th May 2014, 14:43

I Bet it'll become fun after a bit of time to get used to it? even more impressive you managed to do it if you were that nervous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttonlane
Completely out of my comfort zone but it has to be done if I want my comfort zone expanding.
It's the best way to be nothings gonna come to us people with sa if we want it we have to go get it for ourselves, keep pushing them boundaries .

Come on people we can't be the only ones surely? Doesn't matter how big or small it is.
Old 26th May 2014, 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason90
Doesn't matter how big or small it is.
So they say. Maybe that reminds me…

This is actually quite a big thing for me (take that as you wish), but I can't obviously go into any detail. My early sexual experiences were a total disaster, some of the most traumatic and difficult times I've had, before I 'got it right'. I don't exactly laugh about it now, but I look back with a wry smile and even nostalgia - those were the days eh. Wish I could have had that attitude back then I was just petrified, which is not a good way to be in that situation

Sorry for being a bit 'basement'.
Old 26th May 2014, 21:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progress
So they say. Maybe that reminds me…

This is actually quite a big thing for me (take that as you wish), but I can't obviously go into any detail. My early sexual experiences were a total disaster, some of the most traumatic and difficult times I've had, before I 'got it right'. I don't exactly laugh about it now, but I look back with a wry smile and even nostalgia - those were the days eh. Wish I could have had that attitude back then I was just petrified, which is not a good way to be in that situation

Sorry for being a bit 'basement'.
I was talking about how funny it might be haha, i'd say its safe enough to not be in the basement and the basement scares me anyway. I still have that awkwardness to look forward to .
Old 27th May 2014, 11:11

Mood
Bashful

Just yday actually. I was buying vodka from the shop. The shopkeeper asked if I was over 18, I was quite shocked as I look older and have never been asked before. So I just said I'm 21, when I am actually 24. I don't know why I said 21, it was automatic, and I was taken aback.
Old 27th May 2014, 11:31

I was in New York with my family last year. I was with my family in Chinstown and we were all bustin' for a wazz. There was a Chinese McDonalds with a toilet that said 'paying customers only' on the door, and a massive que, so my folks decided they would buy a drink or something so they could use it. My instant thought was 'there's no way I will be able to urinate under such stressful conditions' so I told them to wait there and I'd be back I a couple of minutes, then disappeared into a crowd. After a while I found a park with the most disgusting public toilet I've seen in years, did my business and made my way back feeling refreshed. And that's my embarrassing story of the day***8230;
Old 27th May 2014, 12:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishPeace
Just yday actually. I was buying vodka from the shop. The shopkeeper asked if I was over 18, I was quite shocked as I look older and have never been asked before. So I just said I'm 21, when I am actually 24. I don't know why I said 21, it was automatic, and I was taken aback.
I was amazed when I ordered my first drink in a pub I took my passport and to my surprise the young woman just served me, those automatic anxious responses can be quite funny, afterwards at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Huntsbach
I was in New York with my family last year. I was with my family in Chinstown and we were all bustin' for a wazz. There was a Chinese McDonalds with a toilet that said 'paying customers only' on the door, and a massive que, so my folks decided they would buy a drink or something so they could use it. My instant thought was 'there's no way I will be able to urinate under such stressful conditions' so I told them to wait there and I'd be back I a couple of minutes, then disappeared into a crowd. After a while I found a park with the most disgusting public toilet I've seen in years, did my business and made my way back feeling refreshed. And that's my embarrassing story of the day***8230;
I hate public toilets, the worst was one at costco must of been like 12 urinals in a row and it was busy I must of stood there for 5 mins panicking about how I couldn't go which makes your muscles just tighten more. I'm not sure whats more embarrassing standing there for 5 mins and walking away without going or staying there until you finally do go , I always choose the latter .
Old 28th May 2014, 21:17

Mood
Bashful

Old 29th May 2014, 12:58

When I got me car as a gift I thought "oh shit I'm gonna have to drive on my own now", what should've been joy was almost terror. Now I think driving is great.
Old 29th May 2014, 14:53

Mood
Cynical

The first time i met someone in person that i'd got to know online i was so scared when i got off my bus that i walked straight past them and hid round a corner! I then had to text them and say that i was there, and come sheepishly out again to meet them properly.
Old 29th May 2014, 16:01

Mood
Cynical

Hmm, i would rather have made a 'normal' entrance lol.
Old 29th May 2014, 18:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba.
When I got me car as a gift I thought "oh shit I'm gonna have to drive on my own now", what should've been joy was almost terror. Now I think driving is great.
A free car eh? wouldn't mind one of them , it's funny before i started learning to drive i was really worried about having to make eye contact with people but once im driving my anxieties go away because im too busy focusing on driving. Glad that anxiety causing gift turned out to be something good .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
The first time i met someone in person that i'd got to know online i was so scared when i got off my bus that i walked straight past them and hid round a corner! I then had to text them and say that i was there, and come sheepishly out again to meet them properly.
Aww well its good you were brave enough to meet them in the first place and im sure they understood, when i was at college on more than one occasion i did something similar ringing my friends to come outside and get me .

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
^ You've gots to make a memorable entrance though!
You are obliged to add something silly you've done while anxious now you've posted Biscuits!... only joking .
Old 29th May 2014, 19:16

Dougella's one reminds me of something I did.
I was staying at a B&B and chatted to a couple who were staying there. Later in the evening I went to a pub for a meal. As I was heading to my table in my own little bubble, I walked past two people who I vaguely thought might have said something to me. I was too slow to react, but I got to a table and sat down and looked back and saw it was them and realised they had said hello to me. They were having a laugh to each other. Oops.
Old 31st May 2014, 13:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progress
Dougella's one reminds me of something I did.
I was staying at a B&B and chatted to a couple who were staying there. Later in the evening I went to a pub for a meal. As I was heading to my table in my own little bubble, I walked past two people who I vaguely thought might have said something to me. I was too slow to react, but I got to a table and sat down and looked back and saw it was them and realised they had said hello to me. They were having a laugh to each other. Oops.
Sounds braver than me , I think after noticing id of felt so awkward id of wanted to leave . I act incredibly awkward if for example i see someone i know or my dad knows across the other side of the road in the corner of my eye, do i shout hello, wave or what? all make me feel embarrassed. Nice to see someone else from the south east! seems like everyones up north .
Old 31st May 2014, 13:43

Yesterday an elderly woman walked past my house, Me being me, I thought she was my Nan (she kindaaa looked like her.) So I waved to her, Anyway suffice to say, I realised it wasn't her when I saw a bit of a startled expression on the woman's face. I'm a nob
Old 31st May 2014, 14:45

I can't laugh at social anxiety afterwards...like when I've said or done something really weird. One day I might be able to laugh at that, but at the moment I can't.

I can laugh at things that happened when I had panic disorder, though, because then you're running on adrenaline all the time and basically react on impulses (like a dog).

One time, when I was 19, someone put 19-year-olds into Room 101 and I ran to the bathroom and actually ducked "in case I disappeared". I mean, obviously I knew I wouldn't disappear, but I was acting in a blind panic and hadn't had a chance to think. I also don't know how ducking would help.

Another time, I had to switch CITV off (I was a student, ok?) because someone put one of those toy headbands on that has an arrow head on one side and the end of the arrow on the other to make it look like it went through their brain and I just couldn't cope with that.

Another time, a helicopter went over our house during the night and I woke up from the sound and just started running. The doors to outside were locked and I was still half asleep so couldn't open them. Instead I just ran full pelt in circles in our living room until I woke up properly, wondered what the hell was going on, and went back to bed
Old 31st May 2014, 14:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishPeace
I always do that. I'm 27 but I look like a child, so I always get ID'd (and don't actually have any ID...should probably get some...) Whenever I get asked I just say '18' automatically. I think it's because I know that's the age I have to be older than.

Also, having read all these, none of them sound embarrassing to me...I was thinking of embarrassing SA stuff as being more like the time I literally put my head in my hands when I was in the middle of talking to someone because I just couldn't cope any longer, or the time I tried to tell a funny story but got confused and actually appeared to tell a story about my Mam being terminally ill...which wasn't the case...(that's a long story, though...)...or the time I stopped being able to understand language because I got so stressed I couldn't focus on the words and this woman at work was asking me a question and I just couldn't understand it so I was staring blankly at her and getting her to repeat it over and over and over again...this is the stuff I can't laugh at!! Although now I've written all that down, it does just seem kind of silly and not really a big deal...

Ooo ooo, or when I second-guess myself. Do others do that? You know exactly what the appropriate thing to do in a situation is but you second-guess so many times you actually convince yourself to do the most inappropriate thing? One that comes to mind was going away last year with a mixed-gender group and walking to the boys room to ask if they had spare blankets. My initial urge was to knock on the door before walking in (obviously), but then I thought maybe that seems a little too formal, and then I thought about how they were all going to think I was really weird for knocking and they'd think I was a child (I literally don't know why I though this now, I overthought SO MUCH), so I just walked in to one man halfway through taking his top off screaming "Why the hell didn't you knock?!"
Old 31st May 2014, 14:56

Mood
Bitching

lucky sods, not been id since I was 18/19
Old 1st June 2014, 16:53

^I feel your pain/embarrassment, though my custoemrs are often on hold for 20+ minutes so you get used to it :/ When I first started my job, I once "accidentally" hung up on a customer, as matter how many departments I went through to, no frigger would help.

Luckily, the chances of the same customer calling and getting back through to me were slim, as there are 200+ others taking calls.
Old 2nd June 2014, 18:10

In my first year at uni. I moved to Manchester, stupidly chose to live in halls of residence where you share a flat with 9 other students (I impressively managed 3 months living in this particular flat ). I used to get so anxious about going back to the flat that I would spend ages outside the building, trying to calm myself down and summon up some courage. There was one particular day when I thought 'that's it, I can't keep doing this'..so without thinking too much, I went straight into the building, entered the flat and put the key in my bedroom door...only it wouldn't open . So i'm thinking 'whaaaaat' and looked up to see 'Dave's Room' written on the door....wtf?!. I stood outside the door for about 5 mins crying because I thought someone had moved into my room and i'd been thrown out. I was so confused, I seriously felt dazed and numb. Anyway...turns out I went into the wrong flat . I'm so glad none of the other students where there .
Old 2nd June 2014, 19:54
Banned

Mood
Scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotty89
In my first year at uni. I moved to Manchester, stupidly chose to live in halls of residence where you share a flat with 9 other students (I impressively managed 3 months living in this particular flat ). I used to get so anxious about going back to the flat that I would spend ages outside the building, trying to calm myself down and summon up some courage. There was one particular day when I thought 'that's it, I can't keep doing this'..so without thinking too much, I went straight into the building, entered the flat and put the key in my bedroom door...only it wouldn't open . So i'm thinking 'whaaaaat' and looked up to see 'Dave's Room' written on the door....wtf?!. I stood outside the door for about 5 mins crying because I thought someone had moved into my room and i'd been thrown out. I was so confused, I seriously felt dazed and numb. Anyway...turns out I went into the wrong flat . I'm so glad none of the other students where there .

Old 2nd June 2014, 20:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttonlane

Old 2nd June 2014, 21:08
Banned

Mood
Scared

^
Old 3rd June 2014, 19:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig.
Yesterday an elderly woman walked past my house, Me being me, I thought she was my Nan (she kindaaa looked like her.) So I waved to her, Anyway suffice to say, I realised it wasn't her when I saw a bit of a startled expression on the woman's face. I'm a nob
I don't think your a nob, quite the opposite . It's nice to see someone who actually gives a shit about their elderly relatives, I can't stand people who abandon family members once they get old as if they suddenly become worthless to them so good on you and that made me laugh too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryinghard
I can't laugh at social anxiety afterwards...like when I've said or done something really weird. One day I might be able to laugh at that, but at the moment I can't.

I can laugh at things that happened when I had panic disorder, though, because then you're running on adrenaline all the time and basically react on impulses (like a dog).

One time, when I was 19, someone put 19-year-olds into Room 101 and I ran to the bathroom and actually ducked "in case I disappeared". I mean, obviously I knew I wouldn't disappear, but I was acting in a blind panic and hadn't had a chance to think. I also don't know how ducking would help.

Another time, I had to switch CITV off (I was a student, ok?) because someone put one of those toy headbands on that has an arrow head on one side and the end of the arrow on the other to make it look like it went through their brain and I just couldn't cope with that.

Another time, a helicopter went over our house during the night and I woke up from the sound and just started running. The doors to outside were locked and I was still half asleep so couldn't open them. Instead I just ran full pelt in circles in our living room until I woke up properly, wondered what the hell was going on, and went back to bed
Its good you can laugh at those things atleast .

Quote:
Also, having read all these, none of them sound embarrassing to me...I was thinking of embarrassing SA stuff as being more like the time I literally put my head in my hands when I was in the middle of talking to someone because I just couldn't cope any longer, or the time I tried to tell a funny story but got confused and actually appeared to tell a story about my Mam being terminally ill...which wasn't the case...(that's a long story, though...)...or the time I stopped being able to understand language because I got so stressed I couldn't focus on the words and this woman at work was asking me a question and I just couldn't understand it so I was staring blankly at her and getting her to repeat it over and over and over again...this is the stuff I can't laugh at!! Although now I've written all that down, it does just seem kind of silly and not really a big deal...
Well, I can understand why you wouldn't be able to laugh at those things but the last bolded bit is good and sort of the point i made the thread so hopefully its been of some use.

Quote:
Ooo ooo, or when I second-guess myself. Do others do that? You know exactly what the appropriate thing to do in a situation is but you second-guess so many times you actually convince yourself to do the most inappropriate thing? One that comes to mind was going away last year with a mixed-gender group and walking to the boys room to ask if they had spare blankets. My initial urge was to knock on the door before walking in (obviously), but then I thought maybe that seems a little too formal, and then I thought about how they were all going to think I was really weird for knocking and they'd think I was a child (I literally don't know why I though this now, I overthought SO MUCH), so I just walked in to one man halfway through taking his top off screaming "Why the hell didn't you knock?!"
You sound like an interesting person , I do tend to over think things but usually smaller stuff. I think the guy might of overreacted a tad if he only had half a top off, if hed had more on show i guess it would of been reasonable.
Old 3rd June 2014, 19:20

@Aimz Thats sounds like it would of been awkward and just typical they got back through to you, I find I easily get preoccupied and can totally forget about things I should be doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog
Luckily, the chances of the same customer calling and getting back through to me were slim, as there are 200+ others taking calls.
Presumably you work in a call centre? thats bloody impressive in my opinion I wouldn't last 5 minutes.

Quote:
In my first year at uni. I moved to Manchester, stupidly chose to live in halls of residence where you share a flat with 9 other students (I impressively managed 3 months living in this particular flat ).
Well done on that for starters .

Quote:
I used to get so anxious about going back to the flat that I would spend ages outside the building, trying to calm myself down and summon up some courage. There was one particular day when I thought 'that's it, I can't keep doing this'..so without thinking too much, I went straight into the building, entered the flat and put the key in my bedroom door...only it wouldn't open . So i'm thinking 'whaaaaat' and looked up to see 'Dave's Room' written on the door....wtf?!. I stood outside the door for about 5 mins crying because I thought someone had moved into my room and i'd been thrown out. I was so confused, I seriously felt dazed and numb. Anyway...turns out I went into the wrong flat . I'm so glad none of the other students where there .
Haha typical eh the one time you don't let yourself get worked up about it and just go for it and that happens , closest i've been to anything like that is the few times i've walked into rooms full of people just to find out im in the wrong bloody place. I hate how everyone turns around to look, feels like their all burning holes in me with their eyes, even better then you find out your in the wrong room and have to leave looking a right muppet. Ooo or even better you go and sit down in a room because you think your early but then about 5 minutes later it becomes apparent your in the wrong place and you have to sheepishly leave .

Had to break my reply into two because it was too long .
Old 3rd June 2014, 19:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason90
I don't think your a nob, quite the opposite . It's nice to see someone who actually gives a shit about their elderly relatives, I can't stand people who abandon family members once they get old as if they suddenly become worthless to them so good on you and that made me laugh too.
Haha thankyou man, I'm glad there's someone who thinks I'm not a nob Yeah I don't have any time for that (unless you've got a good reason like they are just generally horrible people.) I've got loads of good childhood memories with my grandparents though and I always love seeing them! So I wouldn't dream of abandoning them! Glad you got a laugh out of it! My dad & Brother did too when I told them