SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 17th January 2014, 04:07

Default Re: Employment Support Allowance and Social Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigged
Hi,
I filled out and sent off my ESA50 questionnaire about 4 months ago but haven't heard anything since. Is it normal to wait this long for a response?
Yeah, it sometimes takes ages.
Old 17th January 2014, 11:29

Ok thank you. I hate the waiting.
Old 17th January 2014, 14:43

No, fortunately I'm still receiving incapacity benefit. A whole year? Bloody hell. I would rather them fail me now than later.
Old 17th January 2014, 16:30

Mood
Bookworm

I'm at the start of this pleasant process, about to phone the ESA people with all my forms and details. I'm not sure I'll pass the medicals, and tbh I'm not sure I'm really ill enough either, but, sigh, I need money. We'll see :\
Old 17th January 2014, 18:55

Mood
Bookworm

^ thanks man I may take you up on that. the phonecall went okay, they're sending me a form now. Really must get some more volunteer stuff arranged so this ESA crap doesn't send me loopy.
Old 22nd January 2014, 20:03

Mood
Question

I think my DLA was supposed to be taken away a year or two ago, but it was appealed by my dad who fought long and hard (he also has to fight for himself, as he has M.E, and he refuses to back down to the Tories and is livid about this whole thing). But, I got a message yesterday saying I will be getting a letter soon with an appointment date for a home visit. I'm very anxious about this and don't know what I'm supposed to say... They will score me zero no matter what...

I've been on lower rate DLA since I was 17.
Old 22nd January 2014, 22:29

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggysGonetoMemphis
I think my DLA was supposed to be taken away a year or two ago, but it was appealed by my dad who fought long and hard (he also has to fight for himself, as he has M.E, and he refuses to back down to the Tories and is livid about this whole thing). But, I got a message yesterday saying I will be getting a letter soon with an appointment date for a home visit. I'm very anxious about this and don't know what I'm supposed to say... They will score me zero no matter what...

I've been on lower rate DLA since I was 17.
Your dad's one of many who is livid about the current situation with welfare, good for him in taking a stand.
Old 27th January 2014, 20:53

Mood
Bookworm

so it looks like I have to go sunny Croydon to have a medical at one of ATOS' offices, right into the belly of the beast

they've said I should be receiving some money up until that time, which would be appreciated (if only to pay for the ruddy Croydon travel expenses).
Old 26th February 2014, 18:09

There's an interesting article published on the Benefits & Work website today which suggests that repeat ESA work capability assessments are to be deferred for two years.

Here's the full article:

Benefits and Work has received information from a DWP insider claiming that people who are due to have their employment and support allowance (ESA) award reassessed in the coming months will now have that assessment deferred for a full two years.

On Monday we broke the news that current employment and support allowance (ESA) claimants will be left on the benefit, without further medical checks, until another company can be found to carry out repeat work capability assessments (WCAs). The DWP stopped referring claimants to Atos for repeat medicals with effect from 20 January 2013.

The change does not apply to IB to ESA transfers or to people who report a change of circumstances, such as a worsening of their condition. It will also not apply to anyone who has already been referred to Atos or to those who have made a new claim for ESA, as those assessments will still take place.

Benefits and Work has now received further information from a mole within the DWP on how deferment works. Whilst we cannot verify the identity of the individual, they clearly had access to the DWP memo which Benefits and Work obtained, as they were aware of details which we did not publish.

One unpublished section of the memo states that:

“Scans will be run from 18 January to identify and defer Employment and Support Allowance repeat referrals. The impact of this should be seen from 20 January.

“The scans will be managed centrally and will result in a reduction in the number of Work Available Reports.”

The DWP mole informs us that the scan has caused reassessments due in late January through February to be moved on by two years. The same scan is due to be run each month throughout the year. Each time, all those due to be reassessed will be given a two year deferral. So someone due to be sent back to Atos on 1 February 2014, for example, will not now be re-examined until 1 February 2016.

The revelation is clear evidence of just how long the DWP really expects it to take to clear the massive backlog of WCAs built up under Atos.

It is also evidence of the extreme heartlessness of the DWP. The memo in question makes it clear that claimants should not be told about the deferral of their reassessment. Instead, the intention is to leave people for years dreading that brown envelope dropping through their letterbox and constantly wondering why it hasn't arrived yet.
Old 26th February 2014, 18:29

Sadly mine just went through for 2 years and I had to go through the stress of atos. I got my ESA but it was a very stressful thing to go through.
Old 1st March 2014, 11:41
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Blimey I didn't realise that ESA assessments would be deferred for 2 years. I sent back a (my 3rd I think) form last year but was never called for assessment (I've had 2 previously).

Then at the beginning of this year (or end of last) I was sent a letter out of the blue telling me I'd been moved from the WRAG group to the support group. No explanation was given. I guess they may have contacted my doctor.

Its a bit of a relief (if remains true) that I might not be reassessed till 2016. Although I would hope to be in work I cant guarantee it.

Its a nasty process and I guess I lucked out as I had a CPN to write me a letter backing me up when I was deemed fit to work the first time I applied. I haven't got the luxury of that now so god knows what I would do.
Old 1st March 2014, 14:53

Thumbs up Re: Employment Support Allowance and Social Anxiety

Well done Mo34
It was also such a relief for me, being moved from the WRAG group to the support group for 2 years!
It's much less of a worry, instead of worrying, you can relax (hopefully) for a while and instead of worrying, concentrate on how you can move forward.
Old 1st March 2014, 18:02

How do people get put in the support group? I was automatically put in the WRAG when they switched me over from Income Support.
Old 1st March 2014, 18:43

(post to keep track of thread.)
Old 1st March 2014, 22:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannysbabe
How do people get put in the support group? I was automatically put in the WRAG when they switched me over from Income Support.
I was put in the WRAG group, after migrating from incapacity benefit. I then appealed against the decision. I had the usual tribunal carry on!

I won the appeal. Now i'm in the support group.

If possible take someone with you. CAB are the best.
Old 1st March 2014, 22:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlightUK
Sadly mine just went through for 2 years and I had to go through the stress of atos. I got my ESA but it was a very stressful thing to go through.
Atos can get tae f**K! Like you say though, it was very stressful!
Old 1st March 2014, 23:01

If you have to go to a tribunal, don't be scared!

It's only 2 or possibly 3 folk asking questions!
Old 2nd March 2014, 20:17

Mood
Creative

Leaked memo:

Failure to attend ESA appointment

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...485/m-2-14.pdf
Old 6th March 2014, 11:50

Hi, I have an important question and it would be great if anyone can help.

I am on JSA at the moment but need to transfer to ESA. However, I do not want to stop my JSA claim until I know that I will be getting ESA.

It says that you cannot apply to ESA if you claim JSA but would I get in trouble if I still applied to ESA so long as when I actually got the benefit I would close down my JSA claim?
Old 6th March 2014, 17:32

Also, does anyone know how to contact them if you have problems speaking over the phone and no access to a textphone?
Old 6th March 2014, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan911
Hi, I have an important question and it would be great if anyone can help.

I am on JSA at the moment but need to transfer to ESA. However, I do not want to stop my JSA claim until I know that I will be getting ESA.

It says that you cannot apply to ESA if you claim JSA but would I get in trouble if I still applied to ESA so long as when I actually got the benefit I would close down my JSA claim?
This to me, is such a complicated question. You must be going demented Dan! I really don't have an answer to this, i hope someone else does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan911
Also, does anyone know how to contact them if you have problems speaking over the phone and no access to a textphone?
This link may help you...

https://www.gov.uk/employment-suppor...e/how-to-claim

I think you can get an ESA1 form the job centre. (I'm only guessing though)

The best option, in my opinion, is to make an appointment with the citizens advice bureau. (They know the ins and outs of how the benefit system works.)

Best of luck to you.