SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 24th August 2007, 20:43

Default In the country....

Wow! Had a great week dog-sitting! Loads of walks on the forest! Last Saturday I took the dog for a walk down the lanes near my sisters house which is in the countryside in the New Forest and I saw a cow starting to give birth so I watched (from the other side of the road so as not to worry her) it was amazing. I worried at one point as it was taking some time but eventually the calf came out. Straight away the mother stood up and started licking her calf. It was beautiful to see.

I felt really moved by it. Also whilst this was going on about 7 deer walked across the lane to the next field in front of me, it felt so surreal. The dog was so good too just kept really still and sat watching with his head tilted (usually he is restless to get off his lead but it was like he was transfixed by it too!)
Old 24th August 2007, 21:33

Mood
Dramaqueen

Default Re: In the country....

The countryside is beautiful, I love all the peace and natural wildlife, I feel at home surrounded my trees.
I'm so gonna move there when I win the lottery

Must have been lovely seeing a calf being born
Old 26th August 2007, 09:22

Quote:
I feel at home surrounded by trees.
Me too. I love the countryside. Cities and towns are good for visiting but I think its the countryside for me, at the moment we live on the outskirts of a small town, lots of houses but it isn't too far to get to the sea or forest so its o.k.

Saw lots of donkeys while we were there too, they are interesting as they seem to walk together as families and sometimes you get a big congregation of them. The babies are sweet with their fluffy fur.

I related my experience last night to two friends about the calf being born and there response was 'Ewww' or that type of thing, funny as I haven't had a baby and both of them have!

Thanks for your reply Demonstar.
Old 26th August 2007, 09:27

actually I think it might be the fact that cows clean up after themselves by eating it, (not the calf..)I suppose it does seem rather grim, but it didn't look gross or anything.
Old 26th August 2007, 14:29

Willow sounds like you had an amazing time and seeing a calf be born must have been so cool, why is something so natural always seen a eeew by some people is beyond me.
I loves the country side too, all the clean fresh air and birds is so refreshing and does wonders for your mind i think!
Glad you had a great time next time can i come too!
Old 26th August 2007, 14:43

Have to admit, I'd have been completely grossed out by calf thing. I'm a big wuss about stuff like that. I know its nature and its amazing n that, but ma natural reaction is which is after the first reaction which I can't find a smilie for! It reminds me of a couple of weeks ago when I accidentally seen childbirth . The film should've gave a warning or something that it was gonna show that!

Although I would have loved to see the deer, haven't ever seen any in real life.
Old 26th August 2007, 17:52

Quote:
Willow sounds like you had an amazing time and seeing a calf be born must have been so cool, why is something so natural always seen a eeew by some people is beyond me.
I loves the country side too, all the clean fresh air and birds is so refreshing and does wonders for your mind i think!
Glad you had a great time next time can i come too!
Thanks Aurora, yes I did it was great did me good! I think walking is very therapeutic in nice surroundings. I love it, especially having the dog to walk and seeing his enjoyment of it, having mud baths and swims on the way! Do you live in the country?

Quote:
Have to admit, I'd have been completely grossed out by calf thing. I'm a big wuss about stuff like that. I know its nature and its amazing n that, but ma natural reaction is which is after the first reaction which I can't find a smilie for! It reminds me of a couple of weeks ago when I accidentally seen childbirth . The film should've gave a warning or something that it was gonna show that!

Although I would have loved to see the deer, haven't ever seen any in real life.
Starla, you may be surprised that it wouldn't be as yucky as you imagine, I didn't think so at all, although I'm also scared by human child birth and looking at anything to do with it does make me a bit squeamish of the pain they must be going through! Do you live in a city?
Old 26th August 2007, 19:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by W!llow

Starla, you may be surprised that it wouldn't be as yucky as you imagine, I didn't think so at all, although I'm also scared by human child birth and looking at anything to do with it does make me a bit squeamish of the pain they must be going through! Do you live in a city?
Did you mention something about the Mum eating something or other though?? My cat started having babies in my house and I was terrified. The first one was stuck and the vet said I'd have to pull it out and get it out of the sac thing, I was terrified! Had to call out the vet in the end.

I used to live in the city, I live in the countryside now, where Last Of Summer Wine is filmed
Old 26th August 2007, 19:25

Must be pretty there, is that Yorkshire? I love the dales and the Bronte country.

Quote:
Did you mention something about the Mum eating something or other though??
Yes, but it sounds worse than it looks they just look like they are licking their calf clean.

Quote:
My cat started having babies in my house and I was terrified. The first one was stuck and the vet said I'd have to pull it out and get it out of the sac thing, I was terrified!
I haven't actually helped an animal give birth either. I can understand the fear involved. I'd probably be worried I wouldn't do it right more than anything else.
Old 26th August 2007, 23:10

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
Wow! Had a great week dog-sitting! Loads of walks on the forest! Last Saturday I took the dog for a walk down the lanes near my sisters house which is in the countryside in the New Forest and I saw a cow starting to give birth so I watched (from the other side of the road so as not to worry her) it was amazing. I worried at one point as it was taking some time but eventually the calf came out. Straight away the mother stood up and started licking her calf. It was beautiful to see.

I felt really moved by it. Also whilst this was going on about 7 deer walked across the lane to the next field in front of me, it felt so surreal. The dog was so good too just kept really still and sat watching with his head tilted (usually he is restless to get off his lead but it was like he was transfixed by it too!)
That sounds lovely and I am very jealous :frowntobi

I'd love to have a dog and take it for long walks in the countryside and see deers and donkeys and such. Possibly have a bit of straw sticking out the corner of my mouth. Say hello to passers by in a friendly fashion (which, as I understand it, is what people do in the countryside, instead of scowling at each other or looking afraid or angry or indifferent, which is what they do in the city)

Ah, a rural idyll. Charming.

I think I am a countryside dweller stuck in the body of a city dweller. But if I was living in the countryside I'd probably think the opposite Wherever I go I takes me problems with me. <sigh> Uh sorry for bringing the thread down.

Donkeys! They are nice.
Old 27th August 2007, 10:55

Quote:
I'd love to have a dog and take it for long walks in the countryside and see deers and donkeys and such. Possibly have a bit of straw sticking out the corner of my mouth. Say hello to passers by in a friendly fashion (which, as I understand it, is what people do in the countryside, instead of scowling at each other or looking afraid or angry or indifferent, which is what they do in the city)
this was my sister's dog rex, I love dogs too, we rent our flat and are not allowed them or any pet.
Quote:
Possibly have a bit of straw sticking out the corner of my mouth.
Ohhh I forgot to do that while walking in the country!!

Quote:
think I am a countryside dweller stuck in the body of a city dweller. But if I was living in the countryside I'd probably think the opposite Wherever I go I takes me problems with me. <sigh> Uh sorry for bringing the thread down.
Its true, when on holiday we really appreciate our surroundings and really relax but longterm if you lived even in an idyllic spot unfortunately there would still be problems like our SA etc to deal with but from a relaxation side of things I think the countryside is good if you go for long walks etc which might help reduce overall anxiety levels.

When we rented a flat by the sea, I loved that, actually I found that the friendliest place I've lived. I would regularly walk along the beach or cliffs and most people I passed would say hello. Unfortunately the owner wanted to sell in the end and we couldn't afford it.
Old 27th August 2007, 15:44

Quote:
Thanks Aurora, yes I did it was great did me good! I think walking is very therapeutic in nice surroundings. I love it, especially having the dog to walk and seeing his enjoyment of it, having mud baths and swims on the way! Do you live in the country?
unfortunately not but not main city either. I'd love to live in the country though a nice little cottage, rolling hill and maybe a nice lil brook running by would be heaven! Ah well, one day when i win the lotto
Old 28th August 2007, 09:09

That sounds my type of place.
Old 28th August 2007, 13:23

I was walking alongside a field once and saw a cow with six legs, took about ten minutes for the other two to come out. See lots of new foals in the forest, they quickly get covered in ticks, bitten by stinging flies and run around going mental when it gets really hot. Saw deer on Sunday hiding from the tourists and donkies in Beaulieu scrounging from them.
Closed Thread