SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 7th April 2019, 11:37

Lightbulb Cochlear synaptopathy (hidden hearing loss)

OK, this isn't really a mental health issue as such. But anyway. Does anyone else experience this?

You're in a noisy environment and you have real trouble understanding the person you're speaking with, especially if that person isn't speaking up much and/or has a quiet voice or if they are speaking unusually quickly.

Apparently, this condition is common and is the first sign you may be starting to lose your hearing. I also have tinnitus.

It was brought home to me yesterday at a busy coffee shop where I struggled at times to understand one of my conversation partners. OK, it didn't help that she spoke quickly in a quiet voice, but I was already aware I had a problem with this. Until today I just thought I was a bit slow or had auditory processing issues, but now I know it's most likely a hearing issue. Apart from the tinnitus, my hearing seems otherwise fine.

Anyway, trying to understand someone else's speech above all the background noise soon gets tiring and you feel like an arse too having to keep asking them to repeat themselves! So sometimes you just smile and nod no matter what they just said!

Cheers!
Old 7th April 2019, 13:20

Default Re: Cochlear synaptopathy (hidden hearing loss)

I heard (sorry ) on a podcast recently that if you push your tragus (the triangle bit on your ear) into your ear a tad, it filters the background noise and you can hear the person next to you better
Old 8th April 2019, 03:59

Default Re: Cochlear synaptopathy (hidden hearing loss)

Yes, I have suffered with a similar sort of hearing problem for years Limey.
In a noisy environment I struggle to hear what someone is saying unless they are literally shouting in my ear. I very rarely drink alcohol but when I have I find the problem even worse for some weird reason.

Like you, I can find it quite embarrassing because I don't like to ask someone to keep repeating themselves. I'll end up second guessing what they said and will nod or shake my head at inappropriate moments and just smile pathetically. Sometimes I'll say something back and can tell that I've totally misunderstood because the person will look at me with a bemused look on their face like I'm a bit of a simpleton

I suffered with severe glue ear as a child which caused partial deafness so at the age of 8 had grommets inserted to drain my inner ear of fluid. Although it improved my hearing slightly it has never been 100% and has deteriorated a lot over the years. Apparently the operation caused some scarring to the ear drums so I doubt that helped matters.

It drives myself and my loved ones crazy when I continuously mishear what they say (it doesn't help that they mumble!) so I'm seriously considering asking my GP if I can be referred for a comprehensive hearing test. I had one of those free hearing tests in Boots that only took about 2 minutes and the guy said my hearing was fine which I know for a fact isn't true. I hate the idea of having a hearing aid as I immediately think 'old people' but they are very small and discreet these days so I'd even consider something like that if I thought it would make a big difference.
It's not nice only half hearing what someone is saying is it

I imagine your Tinnitus must be extremely annoying for you, Limey. I gather that it is more common in older folk as a natural part of the ageing process but I've read that it's also greatly aggravated during times of stress. I don't know if you are aware of your Tinnitus when you are in a noisy environment or does the noise help distract you from the annoying hum?

I don't think it would hurt to have a thorough hearing test, if you haven't done so already, even if it's just to confirm that your hearing is fine. You could also mention about the Tinnitus to find out how you might go about alleviating the symptoms. Besides that, I don't know what to suggest apart from meeting up with friends in less noisy environments

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.