Old 13th April 2020, 17:57

Default Re: Random Questions (3)

As I did to your photo.
Old 4th May 2020, 13:12

Mood
Tired

who the hell is Joe Wicks?.....

never heard of him before,. suddenly he's a "phenomenon" seemingly because he posted exercise vids on youtube,..

doesn't take much to be a 'sleb' these days it seems,
think it's a bit scary how superficial the media seems to have become these days.

even people who claim stuff like "I used to date someone who appeared once on love island" are regarding themselves as celebrities or media-important.

*facepalm*
Old 8th May 2020, 08:32

Mood
Tired

Is applauding the NHS on a Thursday evening at 8pm something that's mandatory? or is it only to keep in with your nosy judgemental neighbours?

I'm just wondering if it's exclusively for NHS workers only, or any frontline workers who have been travelling to and from work every day, mixing with work colleagues and perhaps also working for NHS projects?

I'm also wondering if NHS staff are expecting everyone in every street to clap for them, or if it's just an odd bonus, over and above their pay?

I'm also wondering whether anyone is recording all this clapping, and then replaying it to NHS staff so they can hear it properly or see it,
If the NHS staff don't get to see every person in every street clapping then I'm wondering who this is really intended for or who actually benefits from it?
People are clapping to an empty sky, to an imagined group of people (because they can't actually see them)
Maybe I'm being pedantic, but it all seems a little absurd and pointless,...
Is it a guilt thing? - people getting paid to sit at home all week doing nothing,..then furiously clapping some people miles away who can't hear it or see them
Maybe it's to relieve the guilt of knowing there are other people who aren't getting paid to sit at home all week doing nothing, but are actually turning up for work?
All the people I know working in NHS just now are saying it's actually very quiet just now,...

What's next though,.dutifully.clapping the government every week because of the fact they run the country you are living in?
Clapping the bin-men every week because they do a dirty job?

Before all this began, before the virus, if you had went out into your garden and started clapping in applause because you thought the Army were doing a good job,. If you'd done this every week,..you'd have ended up being carted off to a mental hospital for your trouble,...

What punishment do you think is due to a person who, (through no fault if their own) simply feels like it's a ridiculous thing to do every week, who feels deeply that clapping towards the sky is an entirely pointless activity, who feels that NHS workers are simply doing the job they've always done and are duly getting paid for it,...
Is it just me, or is there an odd psychological phenomenon going on called group hysteria, group subservience, group mentality, group allegiance ?

I've came across some dreadful nurses over the last few years, some absolute horrors,..do we really want to applaud them too? - what if Harold Shipman was still practicing, would we still want to be applauding him too?

Meh,...
Old 8th May 2020, 09:18

^Overall it’s maybe a good thing that the public are displaying their appreciation for the great work of NHS staff, but it’s difficult not to be a tad cynical too I suppose. However, good or bad, I think it can be a very isolating experience for socially anxious people, who find it an ordeal to engage with their neighbours this way, and then worry that their neighbours think badly of them if they don’t participate. Even if they do come out to clap, it’s difficult to enter into the spirit of a community activity like this in the uninhibited way most people do with each other. In essence, it can put SA sufferers on yet another guilt trip and lead to an even greater sense of frustration and loneliness. Alas, SA sufferers are often so misunderstood.
Old 8th May 2020, 12:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody
What punishment do you think is due to a person who, (through no fault if their own) simply feels like it's a ridiculous thing to do every week, who feels deeply that clapping towards the sky is an entirely pointless activity, who feels that NHS workers are simply doing the job they've always done and are duly getting paid for it,...
Old 8th May 2020, 12:42
Banned at own request

Old 8th May 2020, 16:40

I keep forgetting to do it. My dad is in a Zoom thing at that time so he doesn't do it either. I'm grateful, I just don't think any NHS workers can actually see or hear if I'm clapping or not. It seems to be about performing gratitude in front of the neighbours. It's not like I live near a hospital.
Old 8th May 2020, 22:32

The clapping is a social thing, it has a purpose and message that says: We are all proud of the NHS.

You have to wonder if everyone in the country (over 20 million households) were to go out and clap, it becomes a way for the virus to continue spreading despite many people following the lockdown requirements. Tbh, I am just happy the deaths are (slowly) coming down at least, it is definitely taking longer than I anticipated so there could be a while left to go yet, but once we have a vaccine, lockdown can start to completely end. I think it's best people still follow the lockdown requirements though because we wouldn't want too many deaths - we now have more than Italy and second behind the US overall - many will be ww2 veterans.
Old 9th May 2020, 19:21

Has anyone been to a funeral recently?
Old 9th May 2020, 23:36

@ Mr Nobody - Excellent post

I was starting to think I was the only person who felt like that about the Thursday evening clapping. As appreciative as I am to all of the care workers who go above and beyond to care for their patients during these challenging times, I loathe clapping every week merely to keep in with the neighbours. And that's the only reason I do it.
I would prefer the Government to give care workers a pay rise instead of encouraging us to continue this silly clapping week after week. Every week busy body folk in my local neighbourhood watch Facebook group name and shame the streets who didn't have a good turn out of clappers. And today in the group there was a woman saying how disappointed she was with the neighbours who didn't emerge from their houses to sing 'We'll meet again' on VE Day.

Quite frankly I've had enough and as soon as I'm able to I'm moving to the middle of nowhere where there isn't a wretched sanctimonious or hypocritical neighbour in sight
Old 10th May 2020, 08:24

^ Are you thinking of moving then?

I would love to win some money on the lottery and move somewhere with no neighbour's that's lovely a peaceful.
Old 10th May 2020, 08:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbs16
Has anyone been to a funeral recently?
How recent? I last went to a funeral in January. My grandad's funeral took place several weeks ago although I couldn't attend. I have some idea of how it took place though in the current circumstances.
Old 10th May 2020, 16:23

^ Thanks would you mind sending me a message?
Old 11th May 2020, 08:23

^ Will do
Old 11th May 2020, 12:23

Mood
Tired

I need to visit the bank today to see the manager or someone high up,
I'm not sure,. wear a mask, or not?

might give off the wrong impression when I hand over my note,..lol
Old 12th May 2020, 20:41
Global Moderator

Mood
Scared

What is all the hype about Onlyfans?
All I see on Fakebook and Instagram lately is people saying add my Onlyfans.
Old 14th May 2020, 12:33

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopia
The clapping is a social thing, it has a purpose and message that says: We are all proud of the NHS.
ahh,. maybe that's why I've had issues with it,
I tend to take things a bit too literally and overthink them,
I'm also awful at being 'social'..

to be totally honest, I can't say I'm proud of the NHS,. I know it exists, and I'm very glad it exists, but it's really just another collection of professional people doing a job, a bit like the electricity companies or the police or something,...
I know I'm incredibly lucky to live in a country where we have the NHS system, but then I guess I'd have been paying into a private system al my working life if we had that,... instead of paying into NHS all my working life.

due to this virus,. yeah,. they're really at a lot greater risk to health now,. which shouldn't really be the case,..
to be honest, if I was on the frontline and had underlying health issues, I'd be phoning in sick or something or looking for another job,
risking your life just because of the (low-paid) job you do shouldn't be something you have to contend with.
Old 14th May 2020, 14:13

Mood
Cynical

^ The odd thing about the American system for instance is that you pay for private insurance but there are all sorts of things it doesn't cover and you often end up paying money upfront anyway when you need to see a doctor for something. Our system seems so much better to me!
Old 14th May 2020, 16:17
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

^ yeah ppl often these days have to have separate cancer care insurance, which is ridiculous. American's are screwed with healthcare whatever.

I was watching a segment on the BBC news as to the history behind how American healthcare began and the reasons for it (at the time). It was quite interesting. It's morphed into something else now but originally I can sort of see the incentive.
Old 14th May 2020, 17:24

Has anyone travelled somewhere in their car for outdoor exercise?
Old 14th May 2020, 18:48

^ Not yet, but I'm hoping to soon since we've been told that this is something that is okay to do. I'm fed up with walking around the local neighbourhood in the dark to avoid bumping into someone I might know.

What about you Newbs?
Old 14th May 2020, 19:19

^ I've only been to work, or to the supermarket or retail park. Think I would like to drive somewhere soon and walk around the park if it's not too busy.
Old 26th May 2020, 21:25

Mood
Bored

Has anyone ever put pillows in a washing machine? how did it go if anyone has?
Old 26th May 2020, 22:03

Can't imagine that being much of an issue, unless they were chunky feather/down things.
Old 26th May 2020, 22:27

Mood
Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Spud
Can't imagine that being much of an issue, unless they were chunky feather/down things.
That's what I was leaning towards, I'll give it a go.
Old 26th May 2020, 22:29

Mood
Breezy

I've never had problems washing pillows.
Old 1st June 2020, 00:43

Lately my Galaxy S5 battery keeps running down quickly. I've turned off Wifi, Bluetooth and Location, but it doesn't help much. I keep getting alerts through the Samsung Internet app for Accuweather, which I've never used or even heard of before. I assume that's the cause, but I don't know how exactly. Anyone know about this sort of thing?
Old 5th June 2020, 17:37

Mood
Tired

Can you not see anything on active running apps and disable it or force stop?

If you go into settings then into apps and scroll down you should see all apps installed or operating, then you can usually toggle them on or off etc.

Maybe because its part of Samsung internet you can't easily see where it's operating from?

Sometimes there is a folder with all Samsung related guff cobbled together in one place,..maybe you can explore that and look for ways to turn it off?

I'm presuming it's going to be more complex and fiddly than these simplistic answers?