SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 22nd January 2014, 12:35

Default Overseas SAUk meet ideas.

I'm considering going on another overseas SAUK holiday this year but have run out of ideas as to where to go. Has anyone got any suggestions
Old 22nd January 2014, 12:55

Default Re: Overseas SAUk meet ideas.

how can you run of places where to go!
France might be a good one.
Old 22nd January 2014, 13:00

Mood
Bored

Venice, Florence, Rome, Dubrovnik, Oslo, Stockholm, New York.

So many possibilities.
Old 22nd January 2014, 13:04

I was actually flirting with the idea of trying to do a weekend meet in Paris, Amsterdam or another city in Europe at some point this year. Not a week-long holiday I know but it would be a cool thing to do if there's enough interest.
Old 22nd January 2014, 13:45

Normally we do 4-5 days in Europe. I did Amsterdam (off board with SA buddies) and Sorrento (officially posted) last year. I quite like Italy but transport is a joke really. Barcelona was my favourite meet, with 9 people attending, but I don't like going to the same place twice.

Dubrovnik did come up as an idea before bu8t not enough people were interested.
Old 22nd January 2014, 16:05

new zealand
Old 22nd January 2014, 16:09

Mood
Blah

Berlin seems like a good place to go. Possibly Budapest as well.
Old 22nd January 2014, 16:16

Palmerston island
Old 22nd January 2014, 16:32

A good place to go if you don't wanna make friends is Barce-loner.
Old 22nd January 2014, 16:39

South of France (Nice/Cannes/Monaco area) - lots to do and good public transport links. Croatia is also another nice place - Split and Dubrovonik looks like nice picturesque cities and there is some nice countryside and opportunities for outdoor activities too. Iceland as its not as expensive as people think and theres a lot to do although may be a bit bleak and cold in the summer. Ive heard slovakia/slovenia are nice too in the summer, very mountaineous with lots of hills and lakes. Have you thought about morrocco too. Thats fairly cheap and only a 3 hour fight from the UK I think. You can go to marrakech or see the sahara desert and atlas mountains and the souk markets. A holiday would be so good right now
Old 22nd January 2014, 16:41

Are the trips only ever European cities then? I would consider it, but I'm not a big fan of city breaks, prefer seeing the countryside and scenery.
Old 22nd January 2014, 16:57

I'm going to be in Dublin on February 3rd-5th with a few SA'ers - If anyone fancies meeting up with us send me a PM!
Old 22nd January 2014, 17:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollyh
Are the trips only ever European cities then? I would consider it, but I'm not a big fan of city breaks, prefer seeing the countryside and scenery.
since 2008, we've done;

Belgium (Brugge)
Austria (Salzburg)
Holland (Amsterdam)
Italy (Lake Garda and Verona)
Spain (Barcelona)
Italy (Sorrento and Amalfi Coast)

Due to my anxiety regarding flying, it has only been Europe. Besides, hard to get a load of people you don't know to travel miles to a faraway land
Old 22nd January 2014, 17:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose
since 2008, we've done;

Belgium (Brugge)
Austria (Salzburg)
Holland (Amsterdam)
Italy (Lake Garda and Verona)
Spain (Barcelona)
Italy (Sorrento and Amalfi Coast)

Due to my anxiety regarding flying, it has only been Europe. Besides, hard to get a load of people you don't know to travel miles to a faraway land
That's true. Looks like maybe France should be next then! Or maybe Switzerland or Portugal.
Old 22nd January 2014, 17:57

Though if you do go to Marrakech, don't whatever you do go in the summer months, I did last summer and it was unbearable in the daylight hours (up to 45C one day!). Very interesting, beautiful and bustling city, especially if you're walking through the streets of the Medina, not sure how SA friendly it would be though and you can get hassled a lot by people trying to sell you stuff.
Old 22nd January 2014, 18:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollyh
Though if you do go to Marrakech, don't whatever you do go in the summer months, I did last summer and it was unbearable in the daylight hours (up to 45C one day!). Very interesting, beautiful and bustling city, especially if you're walking through the streets of the Medina, not sure how SA friendly it would be though and you can get hassled a lot by people trying to sell you stuff.
a friend of mine went there. He said the harassing certainly challenged his SA. Marrakech is a place I have considered but not sure one way or another if I'd like it
Old 22nd January 2014, 18:24

Quote:
a friend of mine went there. He said the harassing certainly challenged his SA. Marrakech is a place I have considered but not sure one way or another if I'd like it
Yeah, whatever happens, a break in Marrakech is going to be memorable, but it entirely depends on the person whether its for the right reasons or not. Some will see the narrow, crowded streets as colourful, bustling and exciting, others may see it as noisy, smelly and the narrow, crowded streets and being harrassed for your money at every corner nightmarish, so yeah its not a city that everyone will love.
Old 22nd January 2014, 18:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliverance?
Berlin seems like a good place to go. Possibly Budapest as well.
I've been to Berlin and really liked it there. Budapest looks interesting as well.
Old 22nd January 2014, 18:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcallmephil
I've been to Berlin and really liked it there. Budapest looks interesting as well.
I forgot you went there mate. Berlin has been on my radar and the banjo playing interbreeder on this thread (he knows who he is) has been researching it
Old 22nd January 2014, 19:21

Quote:
I forgot you went there mate. Berlin has been on my radar and the banjo playing interbreeder on this thread (he knows who he is) has been researching it
Flights start from about £30. You can get hotel rooms pretty cheaply because there loads of them. Food/beer etc costs quite a bit less than in the UK as well. The best places to stay are near Alexanderplatz because the station there is on a lot S/U-Bahn lines so you can get anywhere in the city pretty quickly.

You have to try a Currywurst and the donner kebab's actually taste nice, even if you eat one sober.

Other than that you have all the obvious historical places to see plus loads of weird things to see in East Berlin. The nightlife there is great and loads of places are open 24 hours including the public transport system on Friday and Saturday nights.
Old 22nd January 2014, 19:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcallmephil
Flights start from about £30. You can get hotel rooms pretty cheaply because there loads of them. Food/beer etc costs quite a bit less than in the UK as well. The best places to stay are near Alexanderplatz because the station there is on a lot S/U-Bahn lines so you can get anywhere in the city pretty quickly.

You have to try a Currywurst and the donner kebab's actually taste nice, even if you eat one sober.

Other than that you have all the obvious historical places to see plus loads of weird things to see in East Berlin. The nightlife there is great and loads of places are open 24 hours including the public transport system on Friday and Saturday nights.
http://currywurstmuseum.com/en
Can't believe there's a museum for it. Mind you, if there was a Cadburyworld type of thing for Indian or Chinese food, i would go.

I like your ideas Phil. Seems like a goer. And I do love my food. I keep being pestered about going to Greece but I'd rather tandoori my own foot than eat feta cheese and olives
Old 23rd January 2014, 07:35

Berlin-wise, what else did you do there Phil?
Old 23rd January 2014, 12:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowsky
Krakow, or there's a nice town about an hour south of Krakow called Zakopane, was there years and years ago, is at foot of mountains which are amazing, so you could go hiking in mountains if you fancy that, wander about town, lots of cool crafts and souvenir shops stuff like that, go for visit to Krakow, lots to see there, there's a cool salt mine near Krakow you can visit with lots of caves and caverns and stuff carved out of salt, lots of pubs in Zakopane for nightlife, or you could go on a folklore evening with traditional food and drink and dancing, was quite fun after several vodkas, what I remember of it anyway. prob heaps of other stuff to do but that's all I remember from when I was there.
Ive seen an interesting winter trip which goes to poland and slovakia and also goes to Zakopane. Would love to do it next year if I can afford it.
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:45

Mood
Tired

I'd like to take a ferry to Hamburg and visit the Miniatur Wunderland
Old 24th January 2014, 13:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowsky
Prague

Krakow, or there's a nice town about an hour south of Krakow called Zakopane, was there years and years ago, is at foot of mountains which are amazing, so you could go hiking in mountains if you fancy that, wander about town, lots of cool crafts and souvenir shops stuff like that, go for visit to Krakow, lots to see there, there's a cool salt mine near Krakow you can visit with lots of caves and caverns and stuff carved out of salt, lots of pubs in Zakopane for nightlife, or you could go on a folklore evening with traditional food and drink and dancing, was quite fun after several vodkas, what I remember of it anyway. prob heaps of other stuff to do but that's all I remember from when I was there.

Malta

Corsica

Seville
I'll have to do some googling on Zakoplane. Not sure I liked the snow in the photos I saw. Had my fingers burned (or was that freezer burn) in Salzburg. I don't like the cold.

Seville could interest me as my favourite holiday was Barcelona, and I love the food

Berlin is still grabbing my attention too
Old 24th January 2014, 16:25

Quote:
I'll have to do some googling on Zakoplane. Not sure I liked the snow in the photos I saw. Had my fingers burned (or was that freezer burn) in Salzburg. I don't like the cold.

Seville could interest me as my favourite holiday was Barcelona, and I love the food

Berlin is still grabbing my attention too
If you do go to Seville, avoid the summer months. I was there in 1992 and it was unbearably hot. Like being inside an oven!!!!.
Old 25th January 2014, 07:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by far north
If you do go to Seville, avoid the summer months. I was there in 1992 and it was unbearably hot. Like being inside an oven!!!!.
we went to Barcelona in the summer months but that was very mild in comparison
Old 25th January 2014, 09:03

Mood
Musical

Krakow is a lovely place to visit... i went over there a few years back just before it became a tourist place... while i was there i visited Auschwitz which was an experience and a half...
Old 25th January 2014, 13:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by T
Krakow is a lovely place to visit... i went over there a few years back just before it became a tourist place... while i was there i visited Auschwitz which was an experience and a half...
I think I might push that idea for next year. I would like to go to Auschwitz mainly because the company I work for share the same motto "arbeit macht frei"

On a serious note. Does interest me
Old 20th February 2014, 10:59

A bit late to be updating this post, but have been looking into going to Marrakech. Came across this, which I liked the look of. Dunno if anyone would be interested?

http://www.thomson.co.uk/destinations/bookaccommodation?productCode=050205&tab=overview& noOfAdults=2&noOfChildren=0&childrenAge=&duration= 7&flexibleDays=3&airports[]=LGW&flexibility=true&noOfSeniors=0&when=15-05-2014&units[]=003759:DESTINATION&packageId=050205MDGUVP14001120 00000140011200000047814007168000001400803200000479 PK143&index=1&multiSelect=true&brandType=T&finPos= 1