SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Could you work in a school?
No way! 9 52.94%
Maybe Primary 5 29.41%
Maybe Secondary 3 17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 30th November 2022, 13:01

Default working in a school

This agency keep contacting me about teaching assistant jobs.

From someone who found school (particuarly secondary) a nightmare I don't think it's a good idea.
Old 30th November 2022, 13:05

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: working in a school

Is the assistant job in a secondary school or a primary school?

Yeah if you didn't have a good time in secondary school then going back to work in one may not be the best idea, although on the other hand it could help you to come to terms with it in a way.

A primary school might be a slightly easier option, as long as you don't dislike younger kids ofcourse!
Old 30th November 2022, 13:11

Yes, I was a primary school teacher for nearly a decade
Old 30th November 2022, 14:00

@Dougella. It doesn't actually say. Yeah secondary I would avoid like the plague I think.

@Indigo- that's a pretty good innings.

@Devil, Probably. I remember being a Prefect in year 13, and I was just like that with Year 7s. I gave that up in the end.

@Nanu. Thats very interesting, thanks.
Old 30th November 2022, 14:52
Global Moderator

Mood
Scared

When I was at secondary school I used to often think that I would like to be a teacher, probably science.
I really liked the idea of being able to engage a room of kids with interesting experiments and inspiring them to question things.
We had a couple of very good science teachers and they managed to somehow make the mundane things interesting.

Fast forward 20 years and today the mere thought of standing in front of a classroom fully of teens who have no respect for anyone or anything is enough to make me feel physically sick.
Old 30th November 2022, 18:28

An interesting one, this... On one hand, it's something I'd consider as I'd like to think I'd make a good Geography teacher in High School. I certainly dress like one anyway!

On the other hand, I know my Social Anxiety would very much hold me back. That's even before we got onto the subject of not being able to cope with the pressure of having to do well/being monitored from external forces.

No way to Primary School. I know the subjects would be 'easier' to teach but I don't think I'd cope at all with smaller children. I wouldn't even consider it.
Old 30th November 2022, 19:06

Not unless they were requiring someone to create pupil puree. First sign of some little shit trying to wind me up they'd end up stapled to a notice board.

I've been contacted quite a few times by agencies asking if I'd be interested in teaching carpentry in tech colleges. Sod that.
Old 1st December 2022, 13:11

Mood
Cynical

^ I'm sure the education system as a whole thanks you for not entering that profession
Old 1st December 2022, 23:29

Mood
Tired

I always liked the idea of being an art teacher in secondary, as I've always had a passion for it and been interested in most aspects of it,
From drawing, painting and photography to crafts, animation and some aspects of art history,
It's sometimes been seen as a kind of useless non-core subject, but I'd totally disagree with that, to me it's a core essential in many ways.

I love seeing the diversity of expression in art that you get from young people, it's always so surprising,
I usually prefer visiting secondary school or college art exhibitions rather than galleries as I think it's often more relevant.

Anyhoo, I fell at the first hurdle as I was such a ridiculously nervous wreck when I was starting art college that I never even turned up,..
I've never known or understood why my anxiety has ruled/ruined my life, but it has, unfortunately.
Old 1st December 2022, 23:51

Mood
Cynical

^ Aw that's a shame, I agree with you that art is an important subject and seeing the creativity that comes from young people is great.

I studied art but only got through it because I went to a small local college, happened to apply in a year when they had opened up some extra places and we're letting pretty much anyone in and the fact that I could do a lot of the work at home. I did enjoy it though.
Old 4th December 2022, 23:37

I used to work as a teaching assistant in an adult college, mostly for supported learning classes. It was good, much preferable I think to working in a school :D
Old 8th December 2022, 00:48

Mood
Alienated

Well I work in a primary school as a teaching assistant. It’s very rewarding and working with children is great. I didn’t think I’d enjoy working with children at first, but my apprehension quickly changed. In terms of SA, I feel it’s hard to say if it’s a good for this or not. In some ways it is, in some ways not.
One positive is that I find I’m very patient with children with behaviour issues (to some extent), and am sympathetic to those with learning difficulties, as well as those who are shy and anxious - *some* teachers who clearly were very confident as children don’t seem to have as much understanding.

The plan was for this job to be temporary and I was to train to be a teacher. But I quit that course, as the stress was way too much. And I think you need to be a great communicator, good being engaging to large groups and actually enjoy doing that for the job to give any fulfilment. I’ve had to do this quite a lot (when a teacher is late, or whatever) and it’s really not enjoyable even after how ever long I’ve been working in a school. I’m good with children one-to-one or in small groups, but that’s it. Plus, being a teacher, you have to talk to senior staff a lot every day, and also parents! And trust me, even the most extroverted, confident teachers struggle with that, as quite a few parents are simply impossible.

A negative of being a TA is that the pay is pathetic considering what they have to do - no, it’s not just tidying up for the teacher

There is absolutely no way I’d ever want to work in a secondary school though. I vividly remember what being in a secondary school was like and I wouldn’t do it even if I was paid a huge amount.

Please don’t quote