SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 12th February 2017, 23:03

Default Hello there

Hey everyone I've decided to join after a while of trying to understand myself. I'm not actually diagnosed with SAD but I feel like I display many of the symptoms and it's really had an effect on my everyday life. I would like to talk to a professional about it so that I can determine whether I'm just really shy or actually have the disorder, but I don't actually know how and am a bit afraid of opening up to a stranger about it! I'm just tired of having a negative outlook on life and feeling like I can't properly connect with people or that I'm really awkward. I'm currently in my second year of university and I feel like wallpaper when I'm with others - observing them grow in their friendships while I sit back and smile and just feel like I need to be different depending on who I'm around in order to fit in. I find myself researching my problems in my spare time and ending up on social anxiety sites - coincidentally that's how I ended up here! My family advised me against getting a diagnosis as they said they'd just give me a prescription which wouldn't actually cure anything. I don't know if that's how it is or not but either way, I'm here now and I hope that you guys can help answer my questions
Old 13th February 2017, 08:41

Mood
Alienated

Default Re: Hello there

Hello StormRose,

Welcome here.

Speaking from my own anecdotal experience of the NHS, I found opening up to doctors to be a little awkward, but if they forward you onto a therapist it can be much easier. I would encourage you to consider it - I went 25 years without understanding what was wrong with me, and it was only when I could put a name to it that I could begin to imagine treating it.

Regarding treatment, I imagine you probably wouldn't be fobbed off with drugs but prescribed some Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT) - this is the most popular treatment for anxiety at the moment. However, there are other therapies (as you'll come across if you ask around here), so there's plenty to try.

There's also CBT self-help books and online courses you can follow if you really can't face a therapist - but I encourage you to try, as they can guide you through the process.

Whatever the case, welcome here. This is a wonderful, caring community of fellow-sufferers. I hope you'll find any questions you have answered.
Old 13th February 2017, 11:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixape
Hello StormRose,

Welcome here.

Speaking from my own anecdotal experience of the NHS, I found opening up to doctors to be a little awkward, but if they forward you onto a therapist it can be much easier. I would encourage you to consider it - I went 25 years without understanding what was wrong with me, and it was only when I could put a name to it that I could begin to imagine treating it.

Regarding treatment, I imagine you probably wouldn't be fobbed off with drugs but prescribed some Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT) - this is the most popular treatment for anxiety at the moment. However, there are other therapies (as you'll come across if you ask around here), so there's plenty to try.

There's also CBT self-help books and online courses you can follow if you really can't face a therapist - but I encourage you to try, as they can guide you through the process.

Whatever the case, welcome here. This is a wonderful, caring community of fellow-sufferers. I hope you'll find any questions you have answered.
I studied Psychology at A-level so I know a little about CBT - it definitely sounds nicer than drugs and I think it's far more effective The only problem with asking a doctor is that I don't really know mine - I had to register with one when I got to university and I still haven't visited them yet. I'm sure you're right and I'll just have to take the plunge and get it over with thank you it does seem like a really nice community here I already feel very welcome
Old 13th February 2017, 11:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
Hi,

Does your uni have a counselling service? My first experience of counselling back home was awful and it put me off ever wanting to talk to anyone, ever. In complete contrast to that horrible experience, the uni counselling service actually took me seriously. They gave me training in how to relax when I felt anxious and sent me to a weekly confidence group. It went on for about six weeks. I'm someone who needs practical solutions because I'm not very good at talking about things, so to me it was brilliant.

They also had a person who was a mental health advocate or something like that. (I've forgotten the exact title.) She used to arrange a weekly lunch time walk and a group of us would go for a walk and go to a cafe after. She could also liase with uni tutors if your MH issues were affecting your uni work e.g. you might need a little longer with an assignment, or need a little break.

It might be worth taking a look at your uni website or emailing the student union to see what counselling services thay they have to offer?

Hope you get the support
I've never really considered that before - I just assumed that the mental health services here were for people who already have a diagnosis! I have seen some things about mental health cropping up around campus but I never really looked into it. I'll have a dig around the website and see what I can find - thank you for the advice!