SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 31st May 2015, 10:08

Mood
Fine

Default 2nd Social Anxiety Video

Just thought I would post my second video: my experience with social anxiety. Not how I wanted it to turn out but it's ok.

https://youtu.be/kwHH_Rww-pY
Old 31st May 2015, 10:22
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Default Re: 2nd Social Anxiety Video

Great video
Actually watching it made me feel quite emotional for some reason. Well done for posting it - I don't think I could do something like that.
Old 31st May 2015, 10:30

Mood
Lurking

It's great that you make these videos. I'm with you on the bullying possibly being one of the causes of social anxiety, I think that's what could have caused mine too.
Old 31st May 2015, 10:37

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo34
Great video
Actually watching it made me feel quite emotional for some reason. Well done for posting it - I don't think I could do something like that.
Thank you. Aww, I hope I didn't upset you. I didn't think I could make videos but I have, if you want to you should definitely try. Don't worry about how you come across, we are all in the same boat here
Old 31st May 2015, 10:41

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben1988
It's great that you make these videos. I'm with you on the bullying possibly being one of the causes of social anxiety, I think that's what could have caused mine too.
Thank you it's hard to know what the root cause of social anxiety is and even without being aware situations may have affected you more than you realise.
Old 31st May 2015, 10:43

Can I ask how that makes you feel? Actually posting the video? Does it help? I think I could quite easily record one but then I'd watch it back and pick out a million things wrong with how I looked and then it would never get posted.
Old 31st May 2015, 11:51

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by e27
Can I ask how that makes you feel? Actually posting the video? Does it help? I think I could quite easily record one but then I'd watch it back and pick out a million things wrong with how I looked and then it would never get posted.
I feel fine making and posting the video. I do, like many people, pick out all of the flaws and think that I could have created a better video but it's not about perfection and I don't want to edit it as I want it to be natural. It doesn't matter how you look, that isn't the point of the video, people watch it to hear you speak about social anxiety and nothing else
Old 31st May 2015, 12:07

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat36
Fantastic video! I so admire your courage for making these videos
Haha, you're too kind you are much braver than me when it comes to pushing yourself in to social situations.
Old 31st May 2015, 13:42

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
Good vid as always Aruals

Always inspiring to see someone taking their exposure to the next level.
Thank you Dean, I had fun doing it
Old 31st May 2015, 17:35

Mood
Lonely

Another great vid Aruals. I can relate to a lot of what you said.
Old 31st May 2015, 17:51

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof
Good video Aruals
I know what you mean about going to the cemetery . When I was at college 20 yrs ago , I would go there a lot esp in my lunch break , it was just nice and quiet and sort of an escape in a way. A safe place.
Thank you. It's beautiful there, I'm going to do a little tour of it
Old 31st May 2015, 17:54

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark09
Pretty lady. School kids are unknowingly assholes. Whole new ball game past that, and it's repairing the damage that school days does.
Haha, thank you. Bullies are supposedly insecure themselves and just pick the easy targets unfortunately.
Old 31st May 2015, 17:59

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimplesxo
Another great vid Aruals. I can relate to a lot of what you said.
Thanks Dimples, it's hard to explain all that I want to and articulate it. It's good to know you feel you can relate to me

Btw are you going to have a go at the accent tag? :P there's nothing to worry about.
Old 31st May 2015, 18:02

Mood
Dead

Well done for uploading the video , I think its more of a reality when someone with SA talks about their issues, instead of non-SA people just talking and assuming what our problems are. You highlight some important things there about jobs - some youtubers I have seen say that we are lazy and there's no such thing as social anxiety, but its different when an SA person speaks about it.
Old 31st May 2015, 18:46

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyP.
Well done for uploading the video , I think its more of a reality when someone with SA talks about their issues, instead of non-SA people just talking and assuming what our problems are. You highlight some important things there about jobs - some youtubers I have seen say that we are lazy and there's no such thing as social anxiety, but its different when an SA person speaks about it.
Thanks Yea, people who don't have SA can't fully understand, it is a phobia but people seem to discount this idea because it isn't part of their reality.
Old 31st May 2015, 20:37

Mood
Sweettooth

You did great, this is so brave and I can relate to a lot of what you said. I think my SA might come from bullying although I've seen others bullied much worse (my ex had to be hospitalised once). I noticed my SA has improved a lot since leaving school where I don't have to face bloodthirsty kids all day every day. I just want to hug you after watching, really moved me
Old 1st June 2015, 11:08

Mood
Lonely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aruals
Thanks Dimples, it's hard to explain all that I want to and articulate it. It's good to know you feel you can relate to me

Btw are you going to have a go at the accent tag? :P there's nothing to worry about.
I've already recorded it, just need to press submit haha!
Old 1st June 2015, 12:30

Mood
Tired

Well done for posting. I can relate to a lot of what you've talked about.
Old 1st June 2015, 13:01

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie
You did great, this is so brave and I can relate to a lot of what you said. I think my SA might come from bullying although I've seen others bullied much worse (my ex had to be hospitalised once). I noticed my SA has improved a lot since leaving school where I don't have to face bloodthirsty kids all day every day. I just want to hug you after watching, really moved me
Thank you Hollie I'm pleased people feel they can relate to the video. It's easier to make friends when you are younger but this is the time bullying is more apparent and when people mature it's harder to make friends, you can't win, haha. Did I look upset in the video or was it the the topic matter that made you emotional? I didn't mean for it to be sad :D
Old 1st June 2015, 13:23

Mood
Sweettooth

^ It wasn't that you looked sad, you looked like you knew what you were saying and were much calmer than I could be, I can't even talk to myself at home without feeling awkward! I think it was the honesty that moved me so much, and just the way you spoke about your experiences. I could really empathise. It was quite inspirational, I almost found myself doing a video but I was too shy to even do the accent tag, so it might've been a bit optimistic of me
Old 1st June 2015, 14:19

Mood
Fine

Quote:
^ It wasn't that you looked sad, you looked like you knew what you were saying and were much calmer than I could be, I can't even talk to myself at home without feeling awkward! I think it was the honesty that moved me so much, and just the way you spoke about your experiences. I could really empathise. It was quite inspirational, I almost found myself doing a video but I was too shy to even do the accent tag, so it might've been a bit optimistic of me
Ah right, I see you CAN do it! I'm sure you are nowhere near as anxious as me when trying to deal with situations, I really admire you for pushing yourself
Old 1st June 2015, 14:29
Banned at own request

I know I probably wont convince you but that really is very good. To naturally talk to camera, even with notes is way beyond many people. The way you explain things is very similar to how I think about it. It is way too easy for people to assume we are caught up and actually unaware the anxiety is not rational. You can still be a rational thinker even with irrational thoughts. My view on driving is different, I think you can use the car to feel more confident because people are not seeing you, just the car, plus you get a bit more independence. But knowing what not to hope for is good too, failing can be far worse than being realistic in the first place.

That is hard to explain and you have done very well. Seeing this kind of video from an actual SA bod is helpful to us, I think very helpful to non-SA bods and I think for you too, you clearly want to push your comfort zone and be the best you can be. I would never be able to record me talking to camera like that let alone upload and share it, well done. If you do later have a regret don't delete. I have done that before and wish I had just made it private in case I changed my mind later.

I dont think you looked upset. You suffer from anxiety, you were in the open, in public, recording a video, nerves are to be expected but you are not negative about it it all. You have lots of good points and the fact you aren't just reading it all from notes really helps.
Old 1st June 2015, 14:33

Mood
Sweettooth

^^ I was walking down a busy road to see someone, and I was thinking of your video, and I thought 'wow it would be some intense exposure to walk here with everyone going past me and seeing me recording'. I got as far as getting my phone out my pocket and opening the camera, but noooo that's as far as I could go. I wouldn't really know what to say anyway. Also I tend to umm and err a lot, but you spoke so clearly!
Old 1st June 2015, 15:32

Mood
Fine

Quote:
^^ I was walking down a busy road to see someone, and I was thinking of your video, and I thought 'wow it would be some intense exposure to walk here with everyone going past me and seeing me recording'. I got as far as getting my phone out my pocket and opening the camera, but noooo that's as far as I could go. I wouldn't really know what to say anyway. Also I tend to umm and err a lot, but you spoke so clearly!
Thinking of my video? I feel privileged, haha. I wouldn't feel comfortable recording a video just walking along the path. I like it in the cemetery because it's really nice and only and it's unlikely that anyone will pass me so it feels safe. A couple of people did pass me when I wasn't recording and a car when I was and I did have a little clip of that
Old 1st June 2015, 15:42

Good for you for making the video, I know it is hard I have a youtube channel. I am to scared to show my face still though. I think it helps me a little just to speak about social anxiety out loud, as I don't talk about it with anyone.

I subscribed and I hope you make more vids.
Old 1st June 2015, 16:27

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoggyboy
Good for you for making the video, I know it is hard I have a youtube channel. I am to scared to show my face still though. I think it helps me a little just to speak about social anxiety out loud, as I don't talk about it with anyone.

I subscribed and I hope you make more vids.
Thanks I like the way you speak in your videos and it's a really good way to to feel a sense of confidence through exposing yourself directly to people in an indirect way (if that makes sense)
Old 1st June 2015, 16:49

Mood
Sweettooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aruals
Thinking of my video? I feel privileged, haha. I wouldn't feel comfortable recording a video just walking along the path. I like it in the cemetery because it's really nice and only and it's unlikely that anyone will pass me so it feels safe. A couple of people did pass me when I wasn't recording and a car when I was and I did have a little clip of that
Yeah I like to think about all the successes I see on here if I'm feeling nervous and it kinda gives me more courage I don't know how some youtube vloggers can do 'day in the life' type videos where they go around shops and around cities and things just confidently talking to the camera while everyone's looking at them. It'd terrify me!
Old 1st June 2015, 16:50

Mood
Sweettooth

@ smoggyboy your voice is so calming in your videos and love your drawings! I subscribed