SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 26th July 2013, 23:52

Mood
Thinking

Default Usher at wedding tomorrow

Tomorrow is my Uncle's wedding which I am very excited for, however the nerves feel as if they're taking over and part of me is dreading tomorrow. My uncle asked me to be an usher; of course I said yes as I didn't want to let anyone down. I am very grateful that my uncle asked me and it has sort of elevated my self-esteem as he chose me, rather than someone else.

However, I am just to nervous about face-to-face interaction tomorrow with over 50 different people. I am scared of not being able to cope at what will seem to everyone else as a 'simple' task. It is my Uncles BIG day and I feel as if I must be 100% perfect to ensure I do not let him down. I think I can do it, but it will cause much pain, awkwardness and embarrassment. I stutter regularly and also get my words mixed up. The responsibility of directing people to seats may be straightforward, but I'm frightened of mucking it up somehow. My two brothers will also likely to criticize me and be embarrassed on my behalf, they always have done. So I'm slightly not looking forward to my role at the wedding.

I know I am possibly worrying about nothing and I do understand that people on here have had bigger fears about weddings such as being 'best man' but this role in the wedding I have feels like a difficult task.

I am looking for some advice before it starts tomorrow. I don't want to feel alone. I have no medication to calm my nerves down. So any advice would be very much appreciated.
Old 27th July 2013, 00:00

Default Re: Usher at wedding tomorrow

I've done it - it was pretty easy actually. Nowhere near as bad as I had imagined and it's soon over too. You'll be fine
Old 27th July 2013, 00:14

Mood
Thinking

Usher performing at the wedding tomorrow eh? :P

In all seriousness, I have every faith that you will nail it. Just smile at people. Even if you feel nervous as hell, a simple smile will hide any evidence of nervousness that someone else might see. Ultimately, people are there for a joyful occasion, so last thing on their mind is for them to be judging you. If anything they will be delighted to see ya.

Enjoy yerself!
Old 27th July 2013, 00:41

Mood
Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecumseh
I've done it - it was pretty easy actually. Nowhere near as bad as I had imagined and it's soon over too. You'll be fine
Could you elaborate can explain your experience

Will make me feel a little bit more at ease.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 27th July 2013, 01:22

Mood
Musical

I've been an usher at two weddings there not so bad as i imagined i was abit nervous to begin with but grew with confidence during the day....hope you have a good time and good luck!
Old 27th July 2013, 09:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet
Could you elaborate can explain your experience

Will make me feel a little bit more at ease.

Thanks for the replies.
Sorry, I went to bed shortly after I made my post.

Basically I just stood at the back of the church, handed out the service thingies and told people where to sit. Most people simply greeted me (some simply ignored me, haha) and walked to their seats of their own accord. That was it really
Old 27th July 2013, 09:57

Mood
Thinking

Thank you for all your comments. I am just so nervous. If it was my job I wouldn't be bothered, but since I am doing it for family, where they have high expectations it feels a little different. Feel very nervous at the minute, but hopefully i'll feel better once I am there
Old 27th July 2013, 10:22

I am sure you will be fine, i was in a similar situation and the thought of it was worse than doing it, in the end i had a great time, rescue remedy is good if you cc
pop to the chemist or supermarket Good luck x
Old 27th July 2013, 12:22

Mood
Thinking

Eeep! Panicking.

What would I say to people coming. I won't have to do any public speaking would I? (with the exception of greeting the guests) I wish I wasn't alone lol.
Old 27th July 2013, 21:47

Well, you should have done it by now. Let us know how you got on