SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 28th September 2014, 11:13

Default Doctor Who - Capaldi Era

Apologies if there's already a Who thread (couldn't see one under search).

I've mostly been a sporadic watcher of Doctor Who since it was revamped, but this current series has held my attention more than any I can remember. I think Peter Capaldi is superb, even if his extreme Scottishness sometimes means I miss the odd line (don't know if this is just me). He is a great presence as a slightly more aloof, 'darker' Doctor, but he is also right at home with the trademark quirky humour.

The show sits nicely at odds with the overblown nonsense of Saturday night reality shows, and there is something charming about the 'honest' special effects, as well as all the inherent Britishness. When it is done well, as the latest episodes have been, Who is for me one of the greatest escapes available on television.

The only thing I'm not sure of so far is the character of Danny Pink. He works as a counterpoint to Clara, and I know there is more to learn about him, but the character himself just seems a bit of a bore, especially alongside the quality of Capaldi and Coleman.

Still, I'm hoping for more of the same!
Old 28th September 2014, 13:25

Default Re: Doctor Who - Capaldi Era

Well I watched the first episode in the hope that maybe his doctor would win me back, but again, like with the previous series and doctors of the 21st century dr. who, I just couldn't tolerate the childish and cringeworthy humour . Might give it another go next weekend.
Old 28th September 2014, 14:14

I quite like Peter Capaldi's doctor (I too miss more than the odd line because I simply can't understand what he's saying ) I agree with Gipsy Danger, I feel sometimes he is let down by the writing. I enjoyed the first episode of this new series but felt the second and third episodes (particularly the Robin Hood one) were pretty boring. I haven't watched last night's yet but the episode before that (Listen?) was excellent. Doctor Who can be a bit hit and miss at times but I doubt I'll ever stop watching it
Old 28th September 2014, 14:58

Mood
Alienated

Every series with Matt Smith as the Dr I found harder and harder to watch, if he had still been the Dr I don't think I would have been watching this series. Capaldi is really growing on me, he has regenerated my interest in the show. His darker side works much better with Colemans bubbly personality which was just to much when partnered with Smiths silly Dr.
Old 28th September 2014, 16:36

Mood
Bored

Smith wasn't a bad doctor, he just had some really shit writing (which is also true for the RTD-era doctors).

Capaldi is just what the show needs though, they just need to give him a nice slow two-parter (i.e. another The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances) without any of the obnoxious CBBC-esque crap that creeps into most episodes (yeah it's a kids' show, but it wasn't always immature schlock).
Old 28th September 2014, 22:42

Mood
Dead

I wasn't sure about Matt Smith when he became the Doctor, mainly because of his age. But his humorous portrayal was infectious, although I tired a little of his fallibility.

It has taken me longer to 'bond' with Peter Capaldi. He a much darker and less friendly Doctor and I have struggled to enjoy his personal take on the Doctor. This last episode (The Caretaker) was his best portrayal. It allowed him to be a more removed character and to work alone. The script also helped, because it was less complex and you didn't feel you needed degrees in algebra, psychology and astrophysics to make sense of it - it was just simple entertainment.
Old 29th September 2014, 09:15

Mood
Happy

I've never really struggled to grow attached to any one particular Doctor, and Capaldi's incarnation isn't an exception. Though I'm slightly disappointed that this series so far hasn't gone quite as dark as the trailers had hinted it to be, there's still this feeling with Capaldi that this facet of him is just waiting for the right moment to strike. And when he does show ruthlessness, it's a very refreshing change from the general restrictions some of the previous Doctors have exhibited. How he defeated the villain of the week in his first episode and exploited that one soldier before his death in 'inside the Dalek' is mesmerising to me.
Old 29th September 2014, 20:36

Definitely agree with Duke of Prunes. At times the writing can be very CBBC-esque. I much prefer the darker episodes.
Old 30th September 2014, 22:23

I do like Capaldi but I liked Matt Smith more. I think the first one was the best so far but haven`t seen the last 2 yet. Was a bit disappointed with the dalek one though.
Old 30th September 2014, 23:04

Mood
Alienated

I haven't watched Doctor Who since the Christopher Eccleston era, and the early days of Tennant.

Not sure what made me start watching again, but I've really started enjoying it! I think Capaldi is great. I keep expecting him to go in to some Malcolm Tucker-style tirade though.

Talking about Christopher Eccleston, I actually thought he was great. Not many other people seem to think so though. Might try and start watching some of the 'old' new episodes.
Old 1st October 2014, 15:26

Mood
Bored

Eccleston was good, but just like Matt Smith, he had so many bad scripts. That first series is a mess, and there's only a few decent episodes in it (though two are the best eps in the whole of new Doctor Who).
Old 11th October 2014, 21:31

Very entertaining episode tonight - 'Mummy on the Orient Express'

Some clever humour - the bit about dying practically being an old lady's job description, plus some absolute corkers from Frank Skinner, who had an awesome turn as Perkins!

'Looks like they've thought of that.'

And when the monster was finally defeated:

'You are relieved.'

'I think we all are.'
Old 24th October 2014, 21:46

I`m making the front of my shed look a bit like a tardis but haven`t finished it yet might make the door look like the 2 doors on the tardis.
I`ve got a phonebox sign but its a blue one which looks a bit of a purpley blue colour should have got a white one really. The light on top is just a cheap solar power one.

Old 24th October 2014, 22:21

Brilliant!
Old 27th October 2014, 17:31

^ It's definitely hit and miss. Flatline was a brilliant episode. I thought this week's was pretty good, not as good as last week's but much better than some of the others. It seems to be picking up for me but it's a little too late considering there's only two episodes left of this series.
Old 27th October 2014, 17:46

I can`t get into this series at all,in fact haven`t bothered watching most of it even though (from the bits I have seen) I think Capaldi could be a brilliant Doctor (I think I actually fell a little bit in love with him at the end of the first episode <3). The writing just doesn`t do it for me mostly anymore,and that`s been happening more and more since Russell T Davies left. It`s still Tennant all the way for me,although obviously he got lucky with more of the storylines and scripts I like (I think Capaldi could equal him or even usurp his place in my heart,but he can only work with what he`s given and that seems like CBBC nonsense mostly).
Old 27th October 2014, 20:21

Mood
Alienated

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlinterrupted
but he can only work with what he`s given and that seems like CBBC nonsense mostly).
That's one thing that I'm not too keen on. They seem to be aiming it at the CBBC audience. I felt this particularly in last Saturday's 'Forest' episode.

But still overall a good series though.
Old 28th October 2014, 02:22

Mood
Torn

Capaldi is a decent dr imo. Kinda reminds me of Tom baker (my fav dr) in some ways.
Was very disappointed in the pr, money-grabbing, cheap announcement/introduction of Capaldi as the dr though.
I also wasn't keen on matt smith although I think the biggest problem at times are the assistants and writing
Old 28th October 2014, 09:02

Mood
Balanced

Not a fan of Dr Who, but I suspect because it has a bit of a cult following amongst kids in America that he took the role to raise his profile in readiness for larger film roles.
Old 28th October 2014, 14:35

Mood
Bored

Flatline was good, but the ending was disappointing. They should have turned it into a two-parter and fleshed out the monsters a bit, instead of the Doctor just conveniently zapping them away at the last minute.

This weeks episode sucked though.
Old 29th October 2014, 01:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone ranger
Was very disappointed in the pr, money-grabbing, cheap announcement/introduction of Capaldi as the dr though.
I found that so cheesy