Default Do you eat meat?

Do you eat meat?

If so, why?
If not, why?
Old 10th August 2014, 06:18

Mood
Daring

Default Re: Do you eat meat?

It provides me with a part of a balanced diet, helps with my bodybuilding/fitness.

Plus it tastes juicy as ****
Old 10th August 2014, 06:43

I do, though it's something I feel conflicted about if I ever give it any thought. My diet's bad enough that I'd probably become malnourished if I tried to go veggie, but I do wonder sometimes what awful, awful things have happened to get me my cheap chops.
Old 10th August 2014, 08:16
Banned

Mood
Bored

Old 10th August 2014, 09:44
Global Moderator

Naw..apart from one horrible lapse I've been meat free for 11 or 12 years now. Three reasons really...when I first went veggie I was involved in animal rescue/re-homing and it seemed bizarre helping some animals while eating others. Secondly, I don't want anything to die to sustain less than a speck of dust in the universe. Finally, I don't trust big business to be able to value an animals welfare and I don't want a part of it.
Old 10th August 2014, 11:39

Yes I do, but I know it's probably wrong to do so, and that I'm not ahead of my times morally speaking.

I would become a vegetarian, but I really don't like any vegetables whatsoever.
Old 10th August 2014, 12:41

^ That's why im always apprehensive to answer questions like this .

Yes, i guess i was raised eating it and i love the taste, i don't really eat much meat although i couldn't live without chorizo sausages, bacon and chicken but i dont eat lamb at all. You can get protein from other sources if you really want to, i don't want to be a vegetarian but i do eat quorn quite often but that's mainly because its low in fat. I don't like to think about what the poor animals go through and ill be honest if i was left to hunt im not sure id be able to kill an animal.
Old 10th August 2014, 18:45

Yes because I like it. Pork is my fave.
Old 10th August 2014, 18:58
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Yes i eat meat. If the meat(mostly chicken) in ready meals counts. I am very much a traditional meat and 2 veg person or casseroles and stews but 95% of the time lack the motivation to cook properly for myself.
Occasionally i think i should eat more vegetarian meals but most of the supermarket vegetarian offerings are crap.
Old 10th August 2014, 19:46

Mood
Tired

Yep, but I try to avoid the really cheap stuff, as the animals have been treated poorly, and the better quality of life an animal gets, the better quality the meat usually is.
Old 10th August 2014, 20:06

I do because i have no plan not to and the rest of my family all eat it - i'm already 'odd' so i'd rather not become a veggie just out of the blue.

Having said that, i'm not fussed and could pack it in when the right time strikes... actually, i might just do it when i get a veggie girlfriend and then when she starts badgering me to quit, i'll use it for sexual favors
Old 10th August 2014, 21:11

Nope. Don't agree with the climate implications of feeding cattle for slaughter, and don't like the idea of industrialised farming/fishing in general. Slowly inching myself to veganism, but can't quite give up cheese yet.
Old 10th August 2014, 21:24

Yeah and I enjoy it very much. Even if I wanted to become vegetarian, I'd have a very hard time cause I'm not a vegetable fan at all and while I realise there are other ways of gaining protein of course, I still feel meat is the best way for me.
Old 11th August 2014, 01:01

Yes, because its yummy.
Old 11th August 2014, 12:34

Meat is just too big a part of my diet to give up. I mainly eat chicken, beef, pork and lamb with some fish thrown in occasionally. I don't like the majority of vegetables and I'm picky about food in general so becoming a vegetarian isn't something I would ever consider.
Old 11th August 2014, 12:41

Mood
Pensive

Yes, because it tastes so scrummy. I rarely have a dinner which doesn't involve any meat.
I don't tend to each much beef though. I could pretend that this is for environmental reasons, but in reality it's just because it's too damn expensive.
Old 11th August 2014, 18:55

Mood
Bored

Every day. Meat is nature's multivitamin.
Old 11th August 2014, 19:30

I eat meat but not as often as I used to and I try and avoid the processed stuff. I don't like the way farm animals are treated but I seem to become a bit blind to it when I see a piece of meat on a plate.

I have tried being a veggie before but I found it quite hard going and gave it up after a few weeks. I do eat a lot of fish so I could be a pescartarian and I may well give that a go at some point. I think I'd still fancy the odd rare steak though.
Old 11th August 2014, 20:19

Mood
Tired

I'm not quite a total vegetarian,. but I have found that I almost never eat meat these days and have been like that for at least the last 8 or 9 years or so.
[most of the meat I have eat recently has been in awkward situations at dinner parties and stuff, where it hasn't really been my own personal choice, so to speak]

I come from quite an odd family and stuff, so I've avoided openly saying I'm pretty much a veggie or anything as it'd just cause way too much fuss.

I really love cooking and I find there's just so much stuff you can have without having to resort to eating meat,.

the only annoying thing is how expensive some Quorn products are,.but then most veg is a lot cheaper than meat products, so I usually just cook with lots of veg, rice, beans, nuts, lentils, and stuff.

haven't gave up milk or cheese or anything like that yet,. - there are so many lovely cheeses out there.

for protein I usually make sure I have eggs, nuts, milk and various types of beans on the go.
Old 12th August 2014, 13:08

No, I've not eaten meat (apart from by accident) in over 30 years, because I don't need to and the idea horrifies me.
Old 12th August 2014, 20:19

................Should i eat Meat? Next Monday BBC 2......................http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04fhb90
Old 13th August 2014, 01:28

Mood
Balanced

^ Thanks for the link... I'll be watching that.

No I don't eat meat. I recently started eating certain types of fish again though, as I needed the extra nutrients because of health problems.

My main reason for not eating meat is that I don't believe in animals being killed when it's not necessary, and I certainly don't want to play any part in the cruelty that happens towards animals, ie; factory farming, live export, inhumane slaughter, force feeding, etc.
Old 13th August 2014, 18:15

Mood
Lurking

No. I also do not consume other animal products such as milk and eggs for the same reason -that I think it is wrong to harm animals unnecessarily. And nobody with any expertise says that you need to consume animal products to be healthy.

A book that discusses the subject of eating animals in depth is called "Eat Like You Care: An Examination of the Morality of Eating Animals", which I found rather interesting. www.eatlikeyoucarebook.com
Old 15th August 2014, 21:16

Mood
Relaxed

I've recently gone from being a daily meat, cheese, milk consumer to being vegan, it was surprisingly easy and I'm realling enjoying the new foods, I should have done it a lot sooner, I just couldn't think what I would have to eat without animal products.