SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 14th September 2017, 04:02

Mood
Tired

Default Why people don't seek help for drrink problems

Hi all,

I should announce that I'v made a valid point. People who're concerned about their drinking do not want to be labelled as an 'alcoholic' and are not happy with the idea of lifelong abstinence. Most problem drinkers are binge drinkers, not full blown alcoholics drinking every day, in the daytime and morning.

I argue that what puts people off seeking help is the black and white assumption; either full blown alcohollic complete with withdrawals and morning drinking, or normal drinker.

People can still be problem drinkers, with characteristics of problem drinking such as not being able to stop once started, getting cravings, yet not be drinking every day. It's people who're in that boat who face the difficulty. People who are problem drinkers are not at a point where they're willing for lifelong abstinence, they certainly not are willing to identify with the label 'alcoholic'. It's like the alcohol rehab brigade have all-or-nothing thinking on a pathalogical scale.

Here's the post I made on sober-recovery expressing reasons why I think people don't get help, and are dissillilusioned with help that's on offer.
Quote:
People who're at the early stages of problem drinking don't seek help because a) They're not at a point where they see lifelong abstinence as an option and b) The shame and stigma associated with having to identify as an 'alcoholic'. It just so happens that a) the only accessible source of help out there requires this b) These two features act as a deterrent, making the help unapproachable.
The vast majority of people with drinking problems are not the stereotypical alcoholics. The vast majority of problem-drinkers are not at rock bottom. People shouldn't have had to reach a point where they're willing to be abstinent for life in order to be helped. People shouldn't have to identify with the label 'alcoholic' before they can be helped.
What's not acceptable is the lack of alternatives to AA. I think it's only right that there should be choices.
Sadly, a lot of people put-off getting help until they reach the point of 'rock bottom'. Some people attend AA meetings then leave (a very large number of people do). Why is this? they don't like the idea of lifelong abstinence and they don't like to identify with the label of alcoholic. This is due to the absence of other sources of help in many communities to which doesn't contain these two deterrents.

Some argue that not attending 12 steps kills people. I argue that lack of alternative treatment options is even more dangerous. I argue that having to identify with the label 'alcoholic' and having to accept the fact that you need to be abstinent for life is a deterrent to getting help. It is this that is dangerous and totally un-necessary. Due to a lack of alternative sources of help, people's drinking problems tend to spiral downwards to the point where they literally have no choice.
There is a gap. There's nearly nothing to cater for people who've got moderate drinking problems. There's nothing in most communities to cater for people who're not willing to accept the label alcoholic and who're don't like the idea of lifelong abstinence. It's silly to argue that willingness to abstain for life and identifying with the label ***8216;alcoholic***8217; be pre-conditions for people to get help for ALL drinking problems. People can improve their drinking before they're at a point where they're willing to accept lifelong abstinence.
The question is, why isn't there more cognitive behavioural therapy, acceptance commitment therapy, moderation management, SMART recoverym and other options more widely available and accessible in many communities?
I havent as yet consulted the site because I'm fearful of criticisms I might get. I feel that my points are valid and need expressing.