SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 27th June 2005, 21:48
casper2000

Default introductions in meetings

I have only recently found out about sa and was wondering if there is anyone out there like me who has to attend meetings from time to time at work and introduce themselves at the start.
I get a feeling of dread days before a meeting in case this happens and if it does I find it hard to speak, my voice quivers and I say as little as possible hoping they will move on.
I usually get an incredulous look and they move on presumably sparing me in case I collapsed.
I then spend the next half an hour concentrating on how badly I must have looked, paying no attention to the meeting and wondering how I can possibly get the respect of anyone in the room.
I would be grateful to hear from anyone with the same symptoms or if anyone has made steps to overcoming the same problem and would shatre them with me.
Old 27th June 2005, 22:44
intro

Default Re: introductions in meetings

Welcome to SAUK.

Yep, been there many times, you are not lone - also when on training courses.

The problem is the anxiety will kick in way before the meeting starts, so if you can reduce the negative thoughts before the meeting then that might help you to be less nervous/anxious.

Breathing slowly and deeply will also reduce the anxiety.

Finally, don't punish yourself if you mess up - just think "next time i will do it better". I'm using that tactic on SA in generally, and its already helping me to be less anxious.
Old 27th June 2005, 22:47
casper2000

Thanks

I`ve been reading about relaxation and breathing techniques and plan to give them a go.
Old 27th June 2005, 23:25
darkhorse

I've experienced that as well. The thing which I notice is that my vision seems to become surreal. Difficult to describe but I think its as if I'm looking through a tunnel and have no periphery vision. Focus on the person I'm speaking to and everything else becomes blurred.
Old 27th June 2005, 23:50
intro

Quote:
Quote: darkhorse at 22***58;25***58;19 Mon Jun 27 2005
I've experienced that as well. The thing which I notice is that my vision seems to become surreal. Difficult to describe but I think its as if I'm looking through a tunnel and have no periphery vision. Focus on the person I'm speaking to and everything else becomes blurred.
I think that happens because your brain is so busy dealing with the anxiety, etc., that it overloads and messages start to be lost.

If you've ever been on a fast fairground ride, you might have noticed a similar thing - the brain just can't cope, so vision/hearing blurs/narrows.
Old 28th June 2005, 15:17
Philipo

Hi casper2000

yep, i've made a complete stuttering, stammering idiot of myself in the past doing those "tell us a little bit about yourself" introductions.

I find it less of a problem now, although I don't exactly look forward to them either. I try to remember that I'm among similar people to myself and try to keep a lighthearted state of mind so that my nerves don't affect my voice. Easier said than done i know.

Phil
Old 8th July 2005, 10:27

Mood
Inspired

If you think about it . Most of an introduction is a standard set of facts about yourself that you could prepare before hand and use over and over again.
Theres no reason to try and do it "off the cuff " each time .
Some people (could be you) kind of try to put off working out a set speech because theyr so frightened by the anxiety that they'd rather not think about meetings once theyre out of the room.
Remember too that there is nothing very impressive that you can do with an introduction. Its a trivial unimportant part of the meeting to most people .
You CAN impress by your attention and thus knowledge of whats going on in the meeting . Something thats hard to do whilst fretting about a "poor" introduction!
Old 9th July 2005, 00:01
Laxlycue

I cant believe that Im reading this, as this is one of my main problems to such an extent that Ive been on the sick from work since late last year after a restructuring in the dept, as I new that I would be no longer able to aviod meetings and Video conferences
and getting packed off for training courses, this has blighted my life for the last 12 years so I really do sympathise with you all

Cheers
Old 9th July 2005, 18:27

Yeah I've always had the same problem. Although I've not faced those fears again since finding out about SA. On one occasion, I left the room before it got to my turn to speak (I've heard of that happening to other people too). But all other times on courses or meetings, I just nervously got through it.
Closed Thread