SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 7th November 2008, 18:46

Mood
Alienated

Default Use it or lose it?

Is it a case of use it or lose it with social skills?

If you don't converse with anyone for a long time then do you lose the ability to converse?

I must be having a bad day because I am having visions of myself ending up like someone who has been institutionalised a long time. Slowing rocking for comfort and never talking to anyone

Solitary confinement is supposed to be a punishment in prison yet it's how some of us SA sufferers lead our lives and we've done nothing wrong
Old 7th November 2008, 20:05
Banned

Default Re: Use it or lose it?

i think social skills are just like muscles, ...the less you use it the weaker it gradually becomes ...but if you don't use it for long enough it will just eventually reach a level where it stops deterioting.

if you ever had social skills ....they'll still be there, you can't completely just loose them.
Old 7th November 2008, 20:12

I agree at school I used to avoid speaking to people and then found it harder to make conversation on the occassions when I did!

Since I've been at uni though I've been using my social skills a lot and I've found its got so much easier
Old 7th November 2008, 22:15

Yeah.. I used to use social skills all the time and I felt confident and able when faced with social situations.. I mean, not to the point of being an extrovert but I didn't feel uncomfortable being around people like I do now. Currently it's just to the point where I don't know how to act around people and I am always uncertain in those situations.. like I feel as I'm just surviving it until I can be on my own again.. eugh. It's kind of like this even for basic skills that nobody really thinks about.. like for example, if a package gets left at the post office, I have to force myself to go get it because I'm not familiar with the post office.. or I'd have to spend a few hours on google researching the process of applying for a job if I were going to try and get one.. because I just feel very unprepared even on simple things that everyone is just expected to be able to do kind of as a matter of course..
Old 7th November 2008, 22:17

absolutely agree, it's a skill that you need to keep practising and perfecting. i think it comes more naturally to some because they've never had to think about it as such and have therefore never questioned their ability to 'use it'. For others, their lack of confidence in social skills results either in anti-social or asocial behaviour.
Old 7th November 2008, 22:20

I agree with others here as well. It's like a muscle that needs exercise and the more it gets the stronger it will be. Also I feel mood plays a part as well - for me the more positive or happy I feel the more I will contribute to a conversation.
Old 7th November 2008, 22:21

Mood
Doubtful

I know it's true & what I should be doing but I am having such a bad time at the moment all I can do is shut myself away & rock! Oh I hate days like this!!!
Old 9th November 2008, 13:15

Mood
Alienated

That's what I feared. I've been out of action socially for far too long. My last friend was at school more than 20 years ago and that wasn't a great match anyway tbh

I think if we never learn the skills in the first place when we are young then it is much harder to learn later in life
Old 9th November 2008, 18:52

Mood
Apelike

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneysaver
I think if we never learn the skills in the first place when we are young then it is much harder to learn later in life
I think that's true. It's harder, but not impossible
Old 9th November 2008, 19:43

Mood
Inspired

Most Saers don't realise how simple the "skills" are or how many skills they already have . being afraid to use them is the main problem.
Closed Thread