SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 23rd January 2007, 10:28

Mood
Pensive

Default Psychoanalytic therapy

I have just received the forms through for my assessment which is on Feb 23rd. I was referred for this by my link worker.
The forms ask lots of questions and I have to fill these in before the assessment.
Some example questions from the forms are as follows:

Please say something about your mother: her character and your relationship with her:

What was growing up like?

What aspects of your life give you satisfaction?

These are pretty open questions so I expect detailed answers are required.
According to the blurb it also looks like in the initial assessment I'll be doing most of the talking.
Afterwards I will be either:

Offered individual psychoanalytic therapy.
Offered Group psychotherapy. (this is what I really want)
Offered another type of therapy.
Offered no therapy.
Recommended to see a psychiatrist.

I have actually been feeling a little better of late and all this is going to spark off a whole lot of feelings and naturally I'm worried about it and also worried that it may not work or the assessor might think I'm okay and don't need any help. I am definitely dissatisfied with my life and the way I am.

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone else has had this type of therapy and could say a little about what they gained from it
Old 23rd January 2007, 12:25

Default Re: Psychoanalytic therapy

If i have to write something for an assessment i just give minimum detail for quidelines which can be expanded upon when meeting. Let them do the hard work they get paid for it, although now i just hand a copy of a written diagnosis from me medical records. This has proved useful as i have little fear of these particular situations and worry about looking too well. Dressed down once, didn't work, got complimented on me appearence!
Old 23rd January 2007, 12:37
CaughtByTheFuzz

Hi Winnie. I didn't have a written assessment, but had it with 3 people in person, instead. And was then referred to a psychiatrist.

It seems they do it differently in different parts of the country, however I'm pretty sure these assessments are designed to gauge your suitability for CBT. It may be that they decide you need therapy before going to CBT, as CBT requires you to be in a certain state/healthy frame of mind before it can start.

When I started out I just assumed I'd be seeing a CBT therapist and that would be it really. But during the assessment they dig around a bit and if they find things like serious depression, thoughts of suicide or sadnesses or trauma's from the past etc then they refer you onto psychiatric therapy.

The therapy is not all about going over the past. Some of it is, because obviously they have to get to know you, but a lot of it is talking things over generally and orientated towards the future. I'm not sure how long it will go on for, but I assume it'll be until I've settled down on medication and the psychiatrist feels I'm strong enough to face CBT. (I know with counsellors you get a set amount of sessions, usually 6, but it's indefinate with this kind of therapy). I always cry buckets during mine, I don't even know where it's coming from sometimes! But it is helping, it's early days for me, but I can feel that somewhere along the lines it's definitely doing something.

Sorry I've waffled on a bit.

P.s. I very much identify with what you said about feeling better and therefore anxious about therapy opening things up again. It is very tough and therapy does open things up, there's just no getting around it. But if you're going to move on and get to the root of your sadnesses and heal, it's just something you have to do. It is definitely no pain, no gain! It'd be more painful to amble on and let your sadnesses overshadow the rest of your life, I think. It is hard, but it's not terribly, terribly bad either, it's not like you completely fall apart or anything, they know what they're doing and are very careful and caring.

(Sorry if all that's obvious.)

Good luck with it. :hug3:
Old 23rd January 2007, 13:12

I had Hypnoanlaysis, very similar to the Psychoanalytical stuff, but really accessing your sub-conscious.

I found it really useful in getting to the core of my problems, but as people have pointed out, very very painful to access memories of childhood, when I have spent my whole life trying to forget what happened to me.

I would say if you want to get cured of SA for good, something like this is key to getting rid of all pent up emotion once and for all.

Good luck in whatever is chosen for you.
Old 23rd January 2007, 15:24

Mood
Pensive

Thank you for your comments which are helpful.
Will post a proper reply when I get home from work
Old 23rd January 2007, 19:28

[quote=Mel]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaughtByTheFuzz
It is very tough and therapy does open things up, there's just no getting around it. But if you're going to move on and get to the root of your sadnesses and heal, it's just something you have to do.

I think thats a good point Caught by the fuzz. For example although CBT is thought to be very effective for dealing with anxiety related disorders,it has also often been critised by psychoanalysts & co for dealing with the symptoms of a disorder but not the underlying causes that are responsible for the anxiety in the first place. Although some would disagree.
Yes, good point, CBTF.

I've not had psychoanalytic therapy myself. Personally, I don't see the value in my own case, because I know why I'm the way I am, so am only concerned with ways of tackling it these days.

Many people benefit greatly from going into the past and finding out where the roots of their issues lie, so although this method is not for me, it certainly is good for plenty of others.

All methods have their critics and their champions. As Mel correctly pointed out, some therapists from other methods criticise CBT or Solution-focused Brief Therapy because they deal with solutions and the present day, but CBT and SFBT therapists sometimes criticise psychoanalytical therapies for being too rooted in, and concerned with, the past, with little in the way of present day solutions explored. This may hold some validitity because research has shown that knowing where your issues originate actually has little impact on actually solving those issues.

Regarding Winnie's thread, I tend to agree with Mel's first reply here in the thread.
Old 23rd January 2007, 22:48

Mood
Thinking

Gud luck Winnie!

I also have an appt tomorrow!....I'm lookin fwd to that feelin you get when u know that for that hour-or-so its JUST YOU.......Everyone should be entitled to that IMO. ........Of course, there'll also be the feeling of: 'here we are agen', but I suppose these things only take as long as they have to.

Agen, gud luck!
Old 24th January 2007, 00:19

Mood
Pensive

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Mel: I also think I would benefit from individual psychotherapy but am not sure I would want to go through it while I am still working full-time as I know it can be very upsetting when you are still going through it.
I didn't specifically ask for psychoanalytic therapy. I asked about group therapy; I was thinking on the lines of psycho-drama type stuff and this is what my link worker recommended.
I will definitely specify at my appointment that it is group therapy I would like. I am not sure how it works under the psychoanalysis stance but I'm sure I'll find out if I get accepted.

Incommunicado: That made me laugh about you dressing down for your assessment and STILL getting complimented. You must just be a naturally smart guy!
I will try to keep brief in my written answers to the questions as I'm sure in the assessment she will pick up on things I've written and expand on them. The assessment lasts about one and a half hours but it says this can be carried onto another session if necessary.

CBTF: I am really glad you feel you are benefiting from your therapy. I am not sure I want to go down the CBT route afterwards as I sense that I would be resistant to it. But I certainly would like some time to talk about myself and hopefully in a group setting.
I think the point of psychoanalysis is to expose the subconscious and bring buried feelings to the surface and that is quite scary.

Tiger: Hypnoanalysis sounds interesting. Perhaps you could tell us a bit more about it. Do they actually hynotise you? And do you remember any of it when you come round?
I am glad it helped you.

Innervision: I am aware from your many other references that you are a champion of CBT and see little benefit from psychoanalysis. I myself am sceptical about CBT, especially for someone of my age who might not be so receptive to a totally new way of thinking. My knowledge of it is quite hazy though I have to admit. I think I am probably too set in my ways. All I really want is to be able to relate to people a little better in a group setting, although I know I have improved over the years little by little.

jontyboyoh: Thanks for your good wishes and hope your appointment goes well tomorrow
Old 24th January 2007, 13:51

Hi Winnie
Hi Winnie

I hope your appointment went well.

I started psychodynamic psycotherapy a few months ago. I've found it invaluble. I had horrid things going on in my childhood which I'd squished inside me, and it was great to get them out there. I've made progress. I still get days where I question the point of it, but that's just part of the process I think. It has really helped me.

I had all the same fears as you before I started . .what if it doesn't work or what if it does work and then I seem ok, and then what if I become dependent on it .. that kind of thing. I tell my psychologist these thoughts . . I think its important so that they can understand where I am coming from .
Old 24th January 2007, 14:21

Mood
Pensive

Hi firewoman. It's good to have positive stories of people who've been through this.
My assessment isn't until Feb 23rd so I've got plenty of time to fill the forms in before then.
I am amazed how many questions they ask and the great expanses of space you are supposed to answer in - good job my writing is quite big!

I am glad you have made progress, that's the important thing!
Old 24th January 2007, 19:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewoman
I started psychodynamic psycotherapy a few months ago. I've found it invaluble.
Hi firewoman, that's heartening to hear that you are finding the therapy useful. Can I ask what it involves roughly? I'm on the waiting list for an assessment so I should be boning-up on the treatments .

Re CBT: I had a course of it some years ago but I just found it frustrating and I made no progress. I think CBT is not suitable for self-destructive type personalities like mine. You need to want it to work, and on some level I just want to wallow in self-pity. Horses for courses.

Good luck with the assessment, Winnie.
Old 24th January 2007, 19:48

Mood
Thinking

I had my assessment today........Went quite well (was good to tell a stranger all me worries etc.)......But I've been put on another waiting list for CBT...... The list is gonna be at least a few months she said........

Fcukin NHS!
Old 24th January 2007, 19:54
CaughtByTheFuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontyboyoh
Fcukin NHS!
Private CBT costs around £90 a session. We should thank ourselves lucky it's free, though waiting is a pain, granted.
Old 24th January 2007, 20:29

Mood
Pensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontyboyoh
I had my assessment today........Went quite well (was good to tell a stranger all me worries etc.)......But I've been put on another waiting list for CBT...... The list is gonna be at least a few months she said........

Fcukin NHS!
Glad your assessment went well jontyboyoh! The time will pass quicker than you realise if you try to use the time well.
Closed Thread