SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 22nd June 2021, 07:28

Mood
Breezy

Default Re: Rate the last film you watched (4)..

Jeffrey combs is an excellent actor.
Old 30th June 2021, 21:28

Mood
Musical

Nomadland 10/10

What a lovely easy watching film to watch.... i can see why it won best picture at the Oscars
Old 30th June 2021, 22:57

I went to the cinema twice last weekend, not expecting either film to be great, I just wanted to get out from my flat for a change of scene and to see if I could manage it without Covid anxiety.

Supernova with Colin Firth and Stanley Tucci I would rate a solid 7/10 for good acting and also nice armchair travel to the Lake District, gave me a few things to ponder about mortality too.

The Polish film Sweat I found hard to rate, maybe a 6/10, it was aimed at a younger demographic than me and made me feel out of touch with the modern world. Curzon had a director's Q & A with a couple of other guests on YouTube a couple of days later, that helped me understand the film better, I still found it hard to warm to but I guess that was the point.
Old 5th July 2021, 23:37

Mood
Bored

Blah blah blah...
Old 11th July 2021, 08:13

Misommar

I had to watch some scenes with my hands covering my eyes. Eeeesh.

So many questions... like does that flower dress come in my size?

Seven thousand "What on Earth!"s out of ten.
Old 18th July 2021, 21:14

^ let’s hope she didn't up getting showered with her own white Christmas courtesy of Mitch’s rediscovered enthusiasm for the festive season, D!!!!

Old 18th July 2021, 21:45

Bedazzled (1967). I don’t mean the crappy re-make with Brendan Fraser. I mean the original, with Peter Cook. I had seen it years ago, but it was better than I remember. I love old British movies.

9/10
Old 18th July 2021, 22:07

I've watched quite a few films this weekend:

Dunkirk - the music was making me want to cover my ears, so I'm glad I never saw it at the cinema. It was really anxiety inducing and built up the tension, it made me experience feelings I didn't like feeling! It was really effective. A sad and good film. A film that I judged it too quickly the first time I attempted to watch it because I turned it off after 10 minutes.

Flight of the Navigator - I love 80s not-so-special effects. Films that use models <3

Deep Impact - saw this at the cinema with some boys when I was younger. I hate end of the world films. Kind of wanted a meteor to land on my house to put an end to this repeated uninteresting experience. Spoiler alert.
Old 19th July 2021, 07:09

xx
Old 27th July 2021, 14:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell20
Bedazzled (1967). I don’t mean the crappy re-make with Brendan Fraser. I mean the original, with Peter Cook. I had seen it years ago, but it was better than I remember. I love old British movies.

9/10
Ah yeah, love Bedazzled. I love British films. I’m like some kind of weird English Anglophile. I think it’s because we are so saturated in American culture than watching anything British seems almost exotic.

Have you seen Tony Hancock’s The Rebel? It’s another ‘60s British comedy film - and very underrated. I still revere the Python’s stuff, especially The Life of Brian and Holy Grail (bit of movie trivia - Elvis was obsessed with Python and knew the Holy Grail script off by heart). Oh, and Withnail, of course, which for my money is the greatest British movie (with the possible exception of Lawrence of Arabia).
Old 28th July 2021, 11:36

Blood Red Sky (2021) - German horror film on Netflix about a vampire mother travelling with her son to New York when terrorists take over the plane.

I quite liked the first 45 minutes. After that when it turned out that this film's idea of vampires was basically just that they're zombies (going crazy and biting someone, who then instantly turns crazy and want to bite people, and so on) it got pretty boring. A very standard plane-based horror.

5/10
Old 31st July 2021, 22:42

Honey I Shrunk the Kids

On Disney+ - what an absolute gem of a film.

Two thumbs up out of a possible two thumbs up.
Old 11th August 2021, 17:39

Good Will Hunting - yep, still good.

Black Mass - I had no memory of watching this film, but halfway through I realised that I've watched it before. Joel Edgerton is a talented actor. A real scene stealer. I hope he lands some bigger roles. I still don't get Benedict Cumberbatch.
Old 11th August 2021, 19:24
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

^ im def with you on Benedict Cumberbatch I thought he was odd in Black Mass.

Also the trailer for the imitation game. I quite fancy seeing this till I see the trailer with Benedict, it just massively puts me off. :/
Old 11th August 2021, 19:26
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Last film I saw was Solomon Kane, it was late at night and essentially I couldn't be bothered to get up for the remote. It was a good, I don't have to think about anything or make an effort kind of (distraction) film I guess.

5/10
Old 11th August 2021, 19:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo34
Last film I saw was Solomon Kane
I much prefer the sequel when Solomon finally gets his green card, Citizen Kane.
Old 12th August 2021, 10:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
Good Will Hunting - yep, still good.

Black Mass - I had no memory of watching this film, but halfway through I realised that I've watched it before. Joel Edgerton is a talented actor. A real scene stealer. I hope he lands some bigger roles. I still don't get Benedict Cumberbatch.
GWH still makes me well up every time at the “It’s not your fault, it’s not your fault” scene. The only other scene that floors me in a similar fashion is the closing one in The Bridges of Madison County at the stop/traffic light.

The less said about the omnipresent BentDick Cumbersomebitch the better.
Old 12th August 2021, 10:24
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam.
I much prefer the sequel when Solomon finally gets his green card, Citizen Kane.
Old 16th August 2021, 18:51

^Jaysus &&&&ing Christ, D!!!!!
Old 16th August 2021, 19:57

Old 17th August 2021, 10:48

Ghost World (2001)

This had been on my list of things to watch since I was around 14-15 years old and I don't know why I kept putting it off. I probably should have watched it back when I first intended to since I probably would have loved it, but watching it for the first time now... it mostly bored me. There were a couple of funny moments though. I can see why it was popular at the time.

6/10
Old 21st August 2021, 18:10

Mood
Tired

Old ....minus 3/10 (yes, minus)

Avoid this steaming shile of pite at all costs.
Old 23rd August 2021, 10:00

A Quiet Place 2 - 6/10

Every time a monster appeared on screen I would be distracted by how awful they looked. Surely technology is advanced enough by now that it's possible for CGI creatures to appear as if they belong in the environment they're moving though? They always look slightly too bright and the colours are desaturated just enough to remind you what you're looking at. If they'd just fiddle with the colour balance a little they could be improved dramatically, but it seem to happen all the time, so I guess it must be intentional. I enjoyed the first 10 minutes though, even though it was basically the same as Cloverfield. Other than that it was the same scene on repeat five or six times until the predictable ending.
Old 23rd August 2021, 11:05

Out of the Furnace

Wow - what a colossal waste of acting talent. You've got Christina Bale, Zoe Saladana, Forest Whittaker, Woody Harleson, Casey Affleck, Willam Dafoe...

Out of the Furnace or do you mean Out of the Toilet /10
Old 23rd August 2021, 19:29

^ You've made me want to watch a film called Out of the Toilet starring Willem Dafoe, but I can't because it doesn't exist Could you at least summarise what the story would be? Are there any car chases?
Old 23rd August 2021, 22:35

Mood
Tired

London's long-time problem with rats goes from the mundane to the life-threatening,..
Due to a hitherto unknown DNA altering facet of the Covid anti-vaccine, humans have been pissing away this DNA altering protein structure into the cities toilets,..
And the cities rat population, feeding on this,... has grown a much larger more complex brain capacity, rendering the rattus norvegivus a meat-eating rabid zombie, capable of deep thinking, problem solving, strategic thinking, and an insatiable thirst for human flesh,. .seeking out this new mind-altering protein they were only getting a snall taste for from their urine.

In line with this, the humans have tragically become less intelligent and more and more infantile and incapable of rational thought,.another unseen factor of the Covid vaccine.

Sensing their weaknesses, legions of now super-intelligent rats pour forth, "Out of the Toilet(s)" intent on overcoming and eating the resident human population,..

Willem Dafoe plays king rat,. Tom Cruise plays Charles Bowles, the one Londoner lucky enough to miss getting his vaccines, as he was too short to be noticed by the nurse giving the injections,..

He joins up with Idris Elba who was cynically overlooked by the NHS due to his ethnically diverse background.

Together they take on the rats, eventually taking back control of London, and finally letting Boris out of his impregnable underground bunker to rule a rat-free London once again,..in a chilling final twist, Boris's shirt is seen bulging with unseen creatures weaving up and down it and Idris Elba blasts a shotgun at his face,..only to realise it was actually Boris's pet ferrets that were protecting him all along,...
The camera turns to Idris Elba, whose face slowly changes into that of a rat
Old 24th August 2021, 00:05

^ Like it, like it I hope it also contains astonishing nudity.
Old 26th August 2021, 09:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen.
A Quiet Place 2 - 6/10

Every time a monster appeared on screen I would be distracted by how awful they looked. Surely technology is advanced enough by now that it's possible for CGI creatures to appear as if they belong in the environment they're moving though? They always look slightly too bright and the colours are desaturated just enough to remind you what you're looking at. If they'd just fiddle with the colour balance a little they could be improved dramatically, but it seem to happen all the time, so I guess it must be intentional. I enjoyed the first 10 minutes though, even though it was basically the same as Cloverfield. Other than that it was the same scene on repeat five or six times until the predictable ending.
It still surprises me they made a second one. For me the first one was hyped way beyond the sum of its limited parts and I just don’t get the appeal of Emily Blunt; your average garden snail has a greater acting range than Emily and is significantly less irritating.
Old 26th August 2021, 12:51

You've only got another 18 months to wait until A Quiet Place 3 is released
Old 27th August 2021, 00:37

^ wowser!