SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 7th December 2017, 21:28

Default Sertraline

Anyone find this drug helpful? If so what dose and what else did you take with it

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
Old 7th December 2017, 23:05

Default Re: Sertraline

I was going to ask my doc about Zoloft, but I've just been reading about Nardil (see my new thread).
Old 8th December 2017, 00:04

Mood
Mellow

Thumbs up Re: Sertraline

Hiya

I was prescribed this a few months ago after hitting a wall. I only took it for a week and then stopped, partly because I ended up googling it and some articles were floating around that the 'Batman Killer' took it and became psychotic. I'm sure its actually fine and many people take it with no problems but I am a worrywort. I also think I became tired of being on and off medication. Instead I referred myself for CBT which has been massively helpful. I would really recommend getting some CBT if you haven't had any already. It's not a cure but it has started to give me a lifeline when things get too hard; strategies to help me start to cope.
Old 8th December 2017, 00:19

Ah can you please explain how it works and what strategies you have I really need to find some hope

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
Old 8th December 2017, 14:59

Mood
Mellow

So I was referred for CBT which I do online. 1 hour a week talking to a therapist via video chat. The basic idea is to reflect on how you are feeling and connect these to the thoughts you have. For example, I felt embarrassed when I was talking to a colleague, my thinking behind the feeling was that I imagined that she thought I was incompetent and not making any sense. Then the therapist has helped me to consider whether these thoughts are actually evidence based, how true are they? Hope that makes sense. She has also gone through the different patterns of unhelpful thinking anxious people are prone to. For example: Mind Reading- imagining what people are thinking about you. Here is an example of a text we worked through: http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/docs...g%20Styles.pdf

We have also done breathing exercises together. This is an audio led one you can try: https://soundcloud.com/compassionate...ssionate-minds

Hope that helps. Happy to answer any more questions. Perhaps go to your GP to ask about CBT if you think it may be helpful for you.

Ask any further questions or private message if you wish. Good luck
Old 8th December 2017, 15:17

Mood
Question

Hi Pink Princess,

I've been on Sertraline since mid October (where the hell has the time gone). Started off on 50mg a day then I upped this to 100mg after a month. I can't say for certain that it's definitely working but I have noticed a few instances where I haven't mentally felt anxious in situations where I would otherwise be anxious (job interview) but I've had problems with the physical symptoms of anxiety (racing heart, sweating, shaking hands, trembling voice etc). I spoke with a doctor online (Push Doctor) who prescribed me Propranolol.

The Propranolol took away the physical symptoms, keeping me looking calm with the Sertraline (possibly) keeping me feeling fine. Although this isn't always like this...good days, bad days I guess.

I changed 2 weeks ago from Propranolol 40mg tablets up to 3 times a day dosage to a once a day 160mg Propranolol capsule. I've noticed a change over the last week with these...they don't seem to be as effective at controlling the physical symptoms. Also over the last week I've began having some side effects (night sweats and diarrhea being the worst) a lack of sleep and inability to sleep despite being completely shattered to sleeping for 10+ hours but waking up wrecked. I also think I've been having some hallucinations and sleep walking (not sure if these are side effects of these meds or not. I also appear to have gone through more tablets than normal so I've started to wonder if I'm getting up in the night and taking a dose of meds then when I wake up in the morning I'm then taking another dose of the meds which is why I'm having these side effects. I live alone so I know there is no-one else here to take them.

I've to now make an appointment with a doctor and get another prescription for meds even though I was given a 15 day supply of Sertraline (30 tablets) and 28 day supply of Propranolol 10 days ago...used my last 2 Sertraline this morning which I could have swore there were 6 left yesterday morning.
Old 11th December 2017, 22:29

Hi I've been taking citalopram which has been working for me,maybe ask your doctor and see what they say
Old 17th December 2017, 05:35

Mood
Insomnious

I've been on Zoloft/Sertraline for many years, currently at a dose of 100 mg/day. I take it for panic disorder, along with Klonopin. Strangely, after starting the medicine, I felt more anxiety for several months before it started to work. But eventually it did work and continues to work for me.
Old 17th December 2017, 06:00

Mood
Fine

I've been on it for a few years now and found it more effective than paroxetine. The main problem is acid reflux with it which seems to be getting worse, I take omeprazole but apparently that's linked to causing more serious problems
Old 17th December 2017, 14:45

Mood
Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC
The Propranolol took away the physical symptoms, keeping me looking calm with the Sertraline (possibly) keeping me feeling fine. Although this isn't always like this...good days, bad days I guess.
From someone who has taken both sertraline and propranolol separately and didn't notice much of a difference (other than side effects with sertraline) do you think it's best to go on both of them at same time?

I didn't want to take ssri again because of the headaches but I've heard propranolol is good at reducing headaches plus I've not been getting them all that much recently, so I guess it may cancel out the headaches caused by the side effects.

Not sure it I would take sertraline again tbh but I could always speak to gp about something similar.